• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skexis
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2012
    • Adelaide

Add diesel to petrol

Was reading something a while back in which there was mention of go-karts and the fact that the ruling body had made it illegal to add diesel to the petrol engines in karts because it boosted the octane rating and thereby made the engines more powerful than the regulations allowed. I think it was only a very small amount per tankful. The thread discussing premium and regular unleaded petrol brought it to mind. Just wondering if anyone has tried it in a regular car and if so what was the result?
    "When strangers meet, great allowances should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica - Wisdom of Arrakis
  • Pauly Faulkner
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2012
    • Maitland, NSW

Diesel has really low octane rating compared to petrol, but has a higher cetane and energy content.
    Tbh I couldn't see diesel being of any benefit to a petrol motor.
    97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
    97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• andyhi696
      • Apr 2016
      • Logan

This is an old trick use in race cars for years and is now banned. I tried it once on a dyno and id did make a difference of about 2% from memory. We were trying different fuels when cams banned avgas.Never actually raced with it but it was an interesting experiment.

Comment

• KrAsh
        • Apr 2014
        • SE Melbourne

We played with Toluene and Avgas back in the day but the AKA got more stringent with fuel testing so we stopped. We found the difference to be minimal with the small blending we did, but you couldn't exactly have straight avgas running you would smell it and obviously be under scrutiny.

Comment

• DrewXT
          • Mar 2014
          • Melbourne

Methylbenzine used to go pretty well...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X