• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Gen 4 DiD throttle body problem

I have an intermittent problem, that's been coming and going for about 4 months.

Sometimes, generally when the day and engine are hot, the engine will shut down rough. When this happens, if I look at my Torque Pro app, the Throttle Position is reported as 100%, where it's normally 6% after shut down. Sometimes, after re-starting, I get a check engine light, and a code for "EGR malfunction" (something like that - I've never actually written it down). The check engine light appears some time after re-starting - not at re-start. It's very easy to clear - issue a "clear codes" through Torque Pro, and it disappears instantly. Engine running, in Drive, no cycling of the ignition.

Given the combination of
    • rough shut down
    • wide open throttle, and
    • EGR error code
    I'm guessing that my throttle plate is intermittently not closing on shut down.

Has anybody else experienced this? If so, what was the solution?

Given that I notice the rough shut down, I believe the throttle plate is really not closing.

Given that it's always reported at 100%, I don't think it's even trying to close - if it was mechanically sticking, surely there would be some movement, and the "Throttle" position would be something randomly less than 100%.

So I'm thinking it's a dirty contact in the throttle connection plug, which I've attempted to clean a few times - but the problem still randomly returns.

Any suggestions?
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
  • Alben
    • Jul 2010
    • Victoria

Do you have a resistor installed to prevent the egr operating? Is it easy enough for you to bypass it back to normal and then check your shutdown?
    Cheers
    Ben
    2007 Pajero NS VRX - DID, Manual, Cool Silver, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ARB Aluminium Rack, Awning, Bushskinz, Bilstein & Lovells HD, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, ARB Air Compressor, Lightforce XGTs, GME UHF, Cooper AT3, TPMS and Scan Gauge.

1996 Triton MJ Luxury Double Cab - 4d56T 2.5TD Manual, Snorkel, Canopy & Roof Rack, Side Step/Sliders, Bullbar, IPF Driving Lights, Mickey T MTZ's, GME UHF, Custom Roof Console, Spot Light, Pioneer Head Unit & Speakers, Piranha Dual Battery, Rear Drawers

Comment

• sharkcaver
      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
      • May 2009
      • Perth

I think I would be pulling the throttle body out and checking for binding or some other mechanical cause at a first instance. A good clean and mechanical inspection would be my first port of call because the electrical side will be a bit harder to diagnose.

I am getting an intermittent fast idle on startup. I suspect my SPVi is at fault, but again, the ultragauge is showing it as working as it should.
      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
        I think I would be pulling the throttle body out and checking for binding or some other mechanical cause at a first instance. A good clean and mechanical inspection would be my first port of call because the electrical side will be a bit harder to diagnose.

I am getting an intermittent fast idle on startup. I suspect my SPVi is at fault, but again, the ultragauge is showing it as working as it should.

On the unit ..if you peel back the sticker there is a brass adjustment screw. Try turning 1 turn either way and see if this helps. It only adjusts the resistance..
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• sharkcaver
          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
          • May 2009
          • Perth

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
          On the unit ..if you peel back the sticker there is a brass adjustment screw. Try turning 1 turn either way and see if this helps. It only adjusts the resistance..
          Cheers. Yep I knew that, just haven't got around to it yet. Before I play with that, I will just remove and see if the issue continues.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X