• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreamerman
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Sydney

MAF sensor cleaner

Does anyone use MAF sensor cleaners? Over time the sensor can get dirty so there are sprays (like CRC) that can clean it. Wondering if anyone actually uses one.
    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar
  • Greg Grey Grumbly
    • Aug 2012
    • Brisbane, Southside

A clean MAF sensor makes quite a difference to performance and I used to clean it at every oil change on the NT Paj. There are a number of cleaners on the market, Repco has a couple of brands which are effective. Just remember do not touch the MAF sensor in any way.

And as well use only MAF sensor cleaner, not anything else.
    Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
    Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• dreamerman
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2009
      • Sydney

Originally posted by Greg Grey Grumbly View Post
      And as well use only MAF sensor cleaner, not anything else.
      Do you remove the MAF sensor unit from the airbox to clean it or just spray the sensor while attached to the airbox?
      03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• johndavis125262
        • Apr 2013
        • brisbane

hi i take mine out every now and then and clean the inside and out with cleaner works a treat regards john

Comment

• aussieintas
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2013
          • Sorell, Tasmania

Remove it, its only 2 small screws unplug electric cable and give it a good spray around but only with specific maf cleaner. Let dry for a minute or 2 and put back.

DO NOT use normal CRC etc and as said before DO NOT touch the sensor.

Pic below of what it looks like.
          Attached Files
          2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
          88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
          92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
          92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
          99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
          95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
          08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• dreamerman
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2009
            • Sydney

Thanks for your feedback guys, I just bought a CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner 300g 5014 for $16 delivered. Will give it a good spray every time I clean my K&N filter.

Comment

• Kingbrown
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2012
              • Port Augusta - SA

A point to note is that the amber coloured bulb that is visible is actually the Air Intake Temperature Sensor.

The sensitive MAF elements are hidden deep within the black tube
              2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• dreamerman
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2009
                • Sydney

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                A point to note is that the amber coloured bulb that is visible is actually the Air Intake Temperature Sensor.

The sensitive MAF elements are hidden deep within the black tube
                Hi you mean there are 2 sensors in the MAF sensor unit? One is air flow sensor and the other temperature sensor? Can both be sprayed with CRC cleaner?

Comment

• Kingbrown
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • Port Augusta - SA

That's right. There are two sensors.
                  Both can be cleaned with MAF cleaner.

Squirt multiple times into the hollow tube but DO NOT physically poke the fine wires of the MAF sensor with the nozzle that you are using to apply the spray.
                  2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• dreamerman
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • Sydney

Thanks Kingbrown, got it.

Comment

• Garc
                      • May 2015
                      • Perth

Good reminder, so I bought some CRC MAF cleaner. This is what I found before cleaning. The inlet pipe looked clean so I wonder if the sensor wasn’t sealing properly.
                      Attached Files
                      Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• erad
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Cooma NSW

Garc:
                        It certainly looks as if the MAF sensor was not sealing properly in its seating. It makes you wonder how much dust your engine has ingested. I better look at mine and see how it is....

Comment

• aussieintas
                          Valued Member
                          • Feb 2013
                          • Sorell, Tasmania

I'd defo check the airbox and filter and not dust filled too, in case there dust ingress is from somewhere else. It could be the MAF sensor itself but I'd be checking everything.
                          2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                          88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                          92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                          92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                          99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                          95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                          08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                            • Aug 2012
                            • Brisbane, Southside

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
                            Do you remove the MAF sensor unit from the airbox to clean it or just spray the sensor while attached to the airbox?
                            Yes I take it out every time, lets you get right to it for a more thorough job. Only two screws.
                            Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
                            Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• Paul NT
                              • Aug 2018
                              • Emerald, Vic

I was going to install an oil impregnated unifilter but on doing some research, I felt that the oil residue could effect the map sensor.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X