• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

What tyre pressures are you running?
    Have you tried putting some ballast in the car to see how much extra weight is required to make the springs work better?
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• El_Freddo
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2018
      • Bridgewater, Vic

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
      It doesn't matter how you do it. If you lift a car with independent suspension, your reliability/durability is now less than it was stock. You'll likely get away with it if your car is an about town show pony, but put it to work where a 4x4 is meant to shine & it'll be like pulling the trigger multiple times while playing Russian roulette.
      You’d better tell that to my Subaru then... it’s been many a place that the big 4wds go/have been. Great setup, good road manners too. Love it. I’m hoping to setup the Pajero as a big sister to Ruby Scoo.

Those that 4wd with independent suspension all round have a much better understanding of picking a line. It’s about intelligence, it’s not about the size of your rig!

If that’s the way you feel Having Fun, maybe you’re in the wrong vehicle unless yours is just a black top show pony/shopping trolley.

Each to their own I guess.

Cheers

Bennie
      2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

It doesn't matter how you do it. If you lift a car with independent suspension, your reliability/durability is now less than it was stock. You'll likely get away with it if your car is an about town show pony, but put it to work where a 4x4 is meant to shine & it'll be like pulling the trigger multiple times while playing Russian roulette.
        I have been upgrading 4wd suspensions for 35+ years, Subaru, Jackaroo, Landcruiser 55 and 60 series, Pajero and Challengers. The vehicles have been used for recreational 4wdriving, remote area touring (private & commercial operations), rally and rally support. I have made many mistakes, the biggest has been thinking the higher and heavier duty the suspension is the better it is. I have had plenty of failures, broken leaf, torsion bar and coil springs, broken struts & shockers, broken shocker and strut mounts, failed airbags, suspension bushes and tyre's.

I have noticed the significant decline in factory fitted suspension to the stage they are not fit to carry GVM loads on bitumen let alone over corrugations. Factory suspensions on later model 4wds tend to be too firm on the front and too soft on the rear.

When I look at a suspension upgrade I aim for 2/3 compression travel and 1/3 droop travel when the 4wd is unladen, and 1/2 compression1 & 1/2 droop travel (factory unladen ride height) when the vehicle is at its loaded weight.

I have been frustrated by the lack of specific technical data for springs, shockers and struts from aftermarket suppliers/manufacturers and the lack calculations of ride heights changes with changing axle loads.
        I take a scientific, mathematical and practical approach to suspension upgrades rather than one based the colour of the components and brand names. People spend serious money in good faith and end up with a suspension that does not suit their requirements. Hopefully my contributions can prevent people from repeating my mistakes or getting sold a suspension that does not suit their individual needs.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Jasonmc73
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2019
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          I have been upgrading 4wd suspensions for 35+ years, Subaru, Jackaroo, Landcruiser 55 and 60 series, Pajero and Challengers. The vehicles have been used for recreational 4wdriving, remote area touring (private & commercial operations), rally and rally support. I have made many mistakes, the biggest has been thinking the higher and heavier duty the suspension is the better it is. I have had plenty of failures, broken leaf, torsion bar and coil springs, broken struts & shockers, broken shocker and strut mounts, failed airbags, suspension bushes and tyre's.

I have noticed the significant decline in factory fitted suspension to the stage they are not fit to carry GVM loads on bitumen let alone over corrugations. Factory suspensions on later model 4wds tend to be too firm on the front and too soft on the rear.

When I look at a suspension upgrade I aim for 2/3 compression travel and 1/3 droop travel when the 4wd is unladen, and 1/2 compression1 & 1/2 droop travel (factory unladen ride height) when the vehicle is at its loaded weight.

I have been frustrated by the lack of specific technical data for springs, shockers and struts from aftermarket suppliers/manufacturers and the lack calculations of ride heights changes with changing axle loads.
          I take a scientific, mathematical and practical approach to suspension upgrades rather than one based the colour of the components and brand names. People spend serious money in good faith and end up with a suspension that does not suit their requirements. Hopefully my contributions can prevent people from repeating my mistakes or getting sold a suspension that does not suit their individual needs.

OJ.
          I'm listening & appreciate the knowledge
          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Moci
            • Sep 2014
            • Balkan, Europe

Have you considered going back to softer springs & installing a body lift, if that's legal in Canada?

That will give you a lift & you'll still have a smoother ride.

It's the monocoque that's causing your problems. Combining that with stiffer springs will be bone jarring on rough roads!

Personally I'm not a fan of lifting cars that have independent suspension. They look great, but the trade off in reliability/durability isn't worth it IMO.
            I have factory springs and 2" lift with spacers, and still it's stiff ride but I am used to it
            There is no help, every Pajero has stiff ride.

Anyone had NP and NS Pajero? Is NS Pajeros better for this stiffnes?
            NP Pajero 3.2DiD auto GLS Exceed 2004 LWB Gold metallic color, 275/50 R20 MAK wheels ET20 polished, 2" Lift kit, EGR blanked off, Chip, Leather electric seats, Xenon lights, LED/Angel eyes projector headlights, Led daytime lights in bumper, Led roof lights, Led tail lights, Full led interior, Led dash, Color factory display, Chrome bullbar, Dual battery, Rear spoiler with lip, Tinted windows, Kenwood sound system, TeamHeko wind deflectors, 2din DVD player with reverse camera and GPS navigation

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X