Clear All
  • Peterng
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2013
    • Northern Rivers NSW

Keep a reasonable distance from a Stop / Start vehicle near a roundabout

Why the heading...
    Interesting you say that!

I witnessed a near "rear end" collision between a Toyota 200 Cruiser and a late model Subaru...and it would not have ended nicely for the lady with 2 kids in the back of the Subaru..praise for small mercies..and to a 200 Landcruiser driver who was concentrating and maintaining a proper distance when travelling in close traffic.

Ok...
    What had happened is that because the Subaru was right at the entry into a roundabout...the driver of the Subaru, put their foot on the brake and stopped the vehicle from entering the roundabout as there was a vehicle approaching from the right.
    A Bad move...
    Why?...with the Stop / Start system in these vehicles..Mazda Subaru etc..the engine stops completely when the brake pedal is pressed and then restarts again when the accelerator is activated...this cycle is not milliseconds..but full seconds..for the whole cycle sequence to happen from stop to restart.

Thus..the 200 cruiser..behind..believing that the Subaru in front would slowly continue on from a "give way" position near the roundabout entrance...kept on moving at about 20kph..towards the stopped vehicle.

A full 4 wheel emergency brake from the 200 Landcruiser. driver..screeching and tyre chatter included..but not a complete lockup...

The Subaru and driver...with kids in the back..just nudged..a love tap..as one would say....ever so slightly..from the bullbat of the Landcruise...then went on their way..through the roundabout and merrily thinking of life.

It could have ended a bit differently...with some ugly variances too numerous to contemplate..

So if you are travelling near roundabouts..or in the classic stop start traffic...keep a decent gap between your vehicle and these newer Subaru/Mazda vehicles with stop / start technology...matter of fact a decent gap at all times...

If you have one of these vehicles..try to judge your speed and distance in traffic to such a degree that your vehicle is moving ever so slightly or if you have the ability to turn this technology OFF for the trip duration..DO IT..and tell other drivers of the vehicle to do it when they are driving it.
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

My wife's car is a new Mazda 2 with that annoying engine stop but there's a button to turn it off so I use that each time I drive it. Although, it starts the engine again when you take pressure off the brake peddle so there's not really a delay as such. I'm thinking the driver in your example was just slow off the mark, not the fault of the car.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• DT6061
      • May 2015
      • Tea Gardens

My sons both have Mazda 3's which I very occasionally drive, never noticed any delay but I am old and not normally in hurry.
      Me thinks the general lack of how to use a roundabout knowledge is an issue. Still always a good idea to "play to the whistle" in football speak, even if you drive a 200.
      2015 NX GLS with stuff added

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

Sorry but have to disagree.

Firstly I have driven numerous different Mazda's and Subaru's with stop start technilogy and it isn't seconds between the cycle you mention. So unless this persons Subaru has a fault it isn't possible. From the Subaru site the engine restarts after 0.35 of a second after releasing the brak pedal.

Secondly, regarding leaving a gap etc. You should leave a gap anyway regardless of vehicle and shouldn't start moving forward until it is clear.

Too many times people say they ran up the back of another car because it didn't start going when there was a gap in traffic at a giveway or roundabout. Then they say it's the other drivers fault in front of them for not going.

Sorry but its their fault for not looking what the car in front is doing. The driver may be inexperienced, elderly, foreign etc and thus might not be as confident to move forward into a small gap.

Just my thoughts.
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Wazza999
          • Jun 2018
          • Canberra

Closest I have come to rear ending someone was turning left into heavy traffic after a footy match. Car in front took off into a gap, I looking over my shoulder saw the next gap and put the pedal to the metal. Fortunately this doesn't do a lot in a Maverick, because the driver in front hit the chicken pedal and was stopped at the end of the lane. A call of look out Dad from the son averted disaster.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Comment

• spot01
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Adelaide

IMO, the responsibility clearly rests with the driver behind & the Road Traffic Act supports this.

Even if the car in front hesitated monentarily due to the stop/start system, it is no different to the car in front being a manual & the driver taking a short time to depress the clutch, select the correct gear, release the clutch & move off, or simply being slow to react.

The Act requires the following driver to leave sufficient distance to be able to safely stop their vehicle and it appears the following driver did not. Fortunately he also had some modern technology (ABS, EBA, etc.) to "save the day".

Having said that, I don't particularly like these stop/start systems that may be useful in meeting emissions laws in congested countries & perhaps some of our more congested cities, but are not particularly relevant in many of our lighter traffic densities. I also wonder about the impact on the lifespan of battery, starter motors, ring gear, etc., with resultant increased repair costs possibly outweighing a slight saving in fuel use? If I ever have to buy a vehicle with this system, I will switch it off if at all possible.

One item of new technology I do like is the radar anti collision systems increasing being fitted to some new cars, as they have the potential to reduce the severity or prevent the type of rear enders being discussed here, saving not only hefty repair bills but also potentially nasty whiplash injuries.
            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Peterng
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2013
              • Northern Rivers NSW

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
              Sorry but have to disagree.

Firstly I have driven numerous different Mazda's and Subaru's with stop start technilogy and it isn't seconds between the cycle you mention. So unless this persons Subaru has a fault it isn't possible. From the Subaru site the engine restarts after 0.35 of a second after releasing the brak pedal.

Secondly, regarding leaving a gap etc. You should leave a gap anyway regardless of vehicle and shouldn't start moving forward until it is clear.

Too many times people say they ran up the back of another car because it didn't start going when there was a gap in traffic at a giveway or roundabout. Then they say it's the other drivers fault in front of them for not going.

Sorry but its their fault for not looking what the car in front is doing. The driver may be inexperienced, elderly, foreign etc and thus might not be as confident to move forward into a small gap.

Just my thoughts.
              I understand and agree with what you are saying...but there is an issue that some people are not very confident when entering and merging at a roundabout. You see some people when they are merging onto a freeway..nearly stop instead of speeding up and seeing a gap...then there are some drivers who are travelling along the freeway who will just not let people merge in by moving into another lane...you could write book about it...anyway..I did get into my sister inlaws' Mazda 6 with this flashy skyactive whizz thingy..time from a dead stop to the auto retart...3 seconds...and what it is worth...I nearly got "cleaned" up at a "give way" sign I was stopped at...why?...because...guess what...I had to stop and give way to existing traffic...the bloke behind me probably thought I would just dirve straight thtough..
              Last edited by Peterng; 03-10-19, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• disco stu
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Wollongong

So dangerous people who stop in merging lanes-belly run up the butt more than once when the car in front is zooming along, I'm looking over shoulder for gaps and suddenly the car in front decides to stop. Doesn't help when cars like to tailgate and people don't feel comfortable merging.

One of the joys of all the cars I own-I care a lot less about my car than they care about theirs, so when I need to merge and they don't let me in, I still merge!

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2019
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by DT6061 View Post
                  My sons both have Mazda 3's which I very occasionally drive, never noticed any delay but I am old and not normally in hurry.
                  Me thinks the general lack of how to use a roundabout knowledge is an issue. Still always a good idea to "play to the whistle" in football speak, even if you drive a 200.
                  To add to this my wives 2017 Mazda 3, you don't have to activate the stop/ start. Just press brake pedal enought to stop & it doesnt activate, you have to lead foot the brake pedal to activte stop/ start. Once use to it, its A concious decision for me anyhow to activate it.

When the engine stops, it stops at point of firing, so the re-start is ready to go & requires very minimal input from starter motors actually..

Only accident i've ever had in saying that was up the ass of A car at A roundabout, well before stop start was invented so I couldnt agree with you more, very easy to do if bloke in front goes/ then stops & your looking at traffic oncoming in the roundabout.

I like that "play to the whistle"
                  Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Peterng
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Northern Rivers NSW

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
                    To add to this my wives 2017 Mazda 3, you don't have to activate the stop/ start. Just press brake pedal enought to stop & it doesnt activate, you have to lead foot the brake pedal to activte stop/ start. Once use to it, its A concious decision for me anyhow to activate it.

When the engine stops, it stops at point of firing, so the re-start is ready to go & requires very minimal input from starter motors actually..

Only accident i've ever had in saying that was up the ass of A car at A roundabout, well before stop start was invented so I couldnt agree with you more, very easy to do if bloke in front goes/ then stops & your looking at traffic oncoming in the roundabout.

I like that "play to the whistle"
                    Just on the partical topic of Roundabouts...
                    I am seeing more in Brisbane with high flow roundabouts "timed" traffic lights being installed.

Comment

• carnut1100
                      • Jun 2019
                      • brisbane

Drove a stop start Mazda the other day, it would fire in around half a second consistently.
                      If you drive one which took 3 seconds, it wasn’t working right.
                      And a delay in taking off is no excuse for hitting someone.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X