• Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

In "blue" in your post below.

Originally posted by pfgrobler View Post
    Do you have pics of the "transverse chassis tubes" ?
    Transverse tube runs between the left and right chassi rail just behind the forward body mounts.

If you have a bull bar what would be better to use ? The factory points or the transverse chassis tubes ?
    Factory points with bridle/equaliser is ok as long as it is not an extreme snatch recovery which should be avoided unless it is an emergency. Using the transverse tube will require either a fabric tube sling or synthetic rope sling that is about 6 metres in length and well protected at the edge of the transverse tube, with a SWL of 8,000kgs assuming you are using an 8,000kg snatch strap or kinetic recovery rope.

How do you convince a 4x4 club that you don't need yellow recovery point points?
    I would ask for the engineering qualifications and calculations for your vehicle, from the person insisting on aftermarket rated recovery points or find another club!

Alternatively I can sell you a can of very overpriced yellow paint that is rated
    I have seen Mitsubishi welded factory hooks stretch from excessive loads but never a factory welded loop fail but I have seen sheared bolts and bent aftermarket rated recovery points in both yellow and red!
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by pfgrobler View Post
      On facebook there are some posts of Ironman MQ triton points being used on the Pajero Sport
      I want fellow Pajero Sport enthusiasts to post, discuss, chat and share what a great car this is and the potential the Pajero Sport has. Post your photos and videos of your rig and let us know what...

In the second photo I notice the attachment nuts are not done up tight enough to compress the spring washers. This recovery point uses 4x what appear to be 10.9 Grade HT bolts in 10mm diameter, each of these bolts has a proof load of 4900kg so a single bolt is almost as strong as the rated recovery point at 5,000kg.

I doubt if any bullbar could be fitted with these Ironman recover points.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• ridges
        • Aug 2017
        • AU

ARB's new September price list lists recovery points for the Pajero Sport now. Might be worth giving your local stockist a call and seeing what they can do

Comment

• Keithyv
          Valued Member
          • May 2018
          • Perth

Why is a recovery point needed (last photo) when there is a loop right there?
          2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
          MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
            Why is a recovery point needed (last photo) when there is a loop right there?
            Because Mitsubishi refuse to call it a recovery point, so too many people refuse to believe it can be used for snatching.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              Because Mitsubishi refuse to call it a recovery point, so too many people refuse to believe it can be used for snatching.
              In the Mitsubishi Body Repair Manual for the Pajero Sport, the front loops (item 11) are referred to as "Traction Hooks" more interesting is they are made from high tensile 590MPA steel.

Why is the factory point strong enough to bolt a brightly coloured piece of steel of unknown strength and the point magically becomes "rated"?

OJ.

Comment

• Ozkiwi
                • Jun 2018
                • Sydney

My NEW thought on the rear recovery..

1st off I have a H/R Towbar fitted and do use a towbar recovery hitch (the solid steel block with the rated shackle).

But a a local 4WD club outing on Saturday a trainer showed a much safer way to do a snatch.

He removed the rear recovery hitch and shackle and fitted the snatch strap into the towbar and secured it with the towbar pin. His reasoning for doing it this way was, he removed 2 potential throwing objects (the steel block and the shackle) from the mix and in his words, did the recovery much safer.

As for front rated recovery points. Road Safe are making them now, they should be available by Christmas. Ironman & ARB make them but only to suit their Bullbars. Opposite Lock don't make them at all to suit their Bullbars. But I have been told that MQ Triton rated recovery points will fit a 2015 - 2018 PS but the Passengers side will need some minor modifications.

Here's a picture I wanted to share with you all:-

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Comments in "Blue Font". in the post below.

Originally posted by Ozkiwi View Post
                  My NEW thought on the rear recovery.. At least you are thinking, there are many that do not!

1st off I have a H/R Towbar fitted and do use a towbar recovery hitch (the solid steel block with the rated shackle).
                  No problems using towbar with or without a recovery hitch.

But a a local 4WD club outing on Saturday a trainer showed a much safer way to do a snatch.
                  Club Trainers are volunteers and should be applauded for stepping up and trying to do the right thing. The problem is the National 4wd Training Syllabus has a few requirements that do not make sense to use on modern 4wds.

He removed the rear recovery hitch and shackle and fitted the snatch strap into the towbar and secured it with the towbar pin. His reasoning for doing it this way was, he removed 2 potential throwing objects (the steel block and the shackle) from the mix and in his words, did the recovery much safer.
                  In theory he is correct, that removing as many hard connection points as possible is a good thing. However the correct size strap should fail well before any steel shackle or recovery hitch or brightly painted bolt on recovery points. In 35 years on serious 4wd I have never bent a hitch pin, but I have broken a snatch strap once.
                  Did he teach the safest recovery method of inserting traction boards then deflating the tyre's on to them, or jacking a wheel up but the suspension and insert a recovery board? Most likely not as this isn't considered manly enough and doesn't boost the ego of the driver doing the pulling in the snatch recovery.

As for front rated recovery points. Road Safe are making them now, they should be available by Christmas. Ironman & ARB make them but only to suit their Bullbars. Opposite Lock don't make them at all to suit their Bullbars. But I have been told that MQ Triton rated recovery points will fit a 2015 - 2018 PS but the Passengers side will need some minor modifications.
                  These have become the next must have fashion item in 4wd accessories, most of these have a design rating for the bolts and the point but not the structure they are bolted onto. Ask the seller to give document proof that these points have be tested by a NATA lab when fitted to the same vehicle as yours!

Here's a picture I wanted to share with you all.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1
                  I have seen these points bend, bolts sheared and chassis rails bent on a Prdao that was doing all the wrong things during a snatch recovery of his mates Prado. In the time it took them to do this damaged, we walked down on the beach with 2 sets of Maxtrax and did 2 vehicle recoveries that where bogged deeper and closer to the waters edge.

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X