• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryan175
    • Mar 2019
    • BRIGHTON EAST

Rocker Cover Gasket

Hey all,

I've got an oil leak from the back of the rocker cover on my 2.6 4g54 so I'm going to replace the gasket, does anyone know the part number for the gasket or if the generic 4g54 ones off ebay will do the trick?

cheers in advance,
    Ryan
    1986 LWB 2.6, 31" AT BFGs, winch, UHF, 52" light bar and spotties, rear light bar, roof rack, awning, 2 jerry cans just to get anywhere
  • pharb
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Tyers,Vic

There is also a rubber coated welch plug type item that sits behind the camshaft, sandwiched under the rearmost camshaft journal cap.

The rubber coating goes hard and fails to seal. Simple job to replace whilst rocker cover off. Four bolts on rear journal. Lift off. Pop out old plug. Drop in new. Reassemble.

Genuine only I am pretty sure.

About 30mm diameter, 30mm deep.
    PCOV Member 1107.
    Daily driver NX GLX
    Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
    Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
    Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by pharb View Post
      There is also a rubber coated welch plug type item that sits behind the camshaft, sandwiched under the rearmost camshaft journal cap.

The rubber coating goes hard and fails to seal. Simple job to replace whilst rocker cover off. Four bolts on rear journal. Lift off. Pop out old plug. Drop in new. Reassemble.

Genuine only I am pretty sure.

About 30mm diameter, 30mm deep.
      When I had a Sigma the only way I could stop that leaking was to silicone the half-moon into the head, then silicone over the top, between half-moon and rocker cover gasket. Every time.

Pull the rocker cover off, remove the half-moon, strip away all the old silicone.

On reassembly, silicone the half-moon into the head, smear silicone over the top, then re-fit the rocker cover.

Every time.

If not, oil leaks.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Ryan175
        • Mar 2019
        • BRIGHTON EAST

Thanks for the info guys, cause I don't want to have to do this again for a while I'll do the welch plug as well while I'm at it. would RTV work instead of silicone to seal the welch plug back in? also does anyone happen to know the part number for it or do I have to call up mitsubishi to order one?
        1986 LWB 2.6, 31" AT BFGs, winch, UHF, 52" light bar and spotties, rear light bar, roof rack, awning, 2 jerry cans just to get anywhere

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Ryan175 View Post
          would RTV work instead of silicone to seal the welch plug back in?
          Yes.

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Ryan175
            • Mar 2019
            • BRIGHTON EAST

Ace thank you

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X