• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FarawayCampers
    • Mar 2019
    • SA

Hi from SA

G'day all,

So... got an NP Exceed diesel as our family vehicle and am in the process of setting it up ready to go on adventures to faraway places such as... Kimberleys, Pilbara, Far North Queensland, etc.

Yes, miss the highly lifted adventure vehicles of my youth, but am very happy so far (owned about 1 year) with the Pajero... and wow, what pulling torque up the hills!!! Hoping it'll be a keeper long term - it better be with the mods I'm planning.

Camping with little children = finding it hard to fit everything into the back of it, so always looking for ideas.

Currently setting up the back... have built a fridge slide and currently building a second fuel tank for the 3rd row seats storage area. Have purchased Koni shocks / King Springs to lift it up but haven't found the time to attach yet. Yes, I am a DIY kinda bloke... I build it where I can if it is worthwhile.

Am looking for a bull bar (ideally steel) if anyone hears of one.

So thanks for having me and I look forward to getting to know some of you adventurers online here.
  • El_Freddo
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2018
    • Bridgewater, Vic

Welcome to the forum Faraway!

We got our NP GLX diesel late last year and love it too. I can't believe how well it pulls trailers up hills either! And I love the torque of the 3.2 - mint!

If you haven't already, swap out the upper timing chain tensioner! This is ours that I just replaced last weekend!

It should look like this (new updated replacement part):

The Pajero has plenty of room for all your gear and kids - no problems. I'm currently doing the same touring trips of 5+ days in a Subaru L series with the family. You just get good at packing what you need and the kit needed to support you. I won't bore you with a pic, there's plenty of them spread out across the web as it is

Cheers

Bennie
    2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• FarawayCampers
      • Mar 2019
      • SA

Hey Bennie,

Cheers for the advice and welcome... looking at the tensioner, it certainly doesn't look like something designed to last a long time really does it? How many KM's has your rig done and how often are you meant to replace them?

I got a complete service and check-over by the local Mitsi dealers a while after we purchased it and they didn't mention it. I did get them to clean out the air intake while they were at it, but they said it was all good. I use to do all my own mechanical work prior to children, but now only wanna do the nice making things - not the oily grubby things, while my children are young.

Comment

• El_Freddo
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2018
        • Bridgewater, Vic

My Pajero has 325k km on the clock. I don’t know how often this item should be changed but the o e that was in there was the dodgy factory original piece. Mitsubishi produced an updated part to replace with and that’s what I’ve used.

The other guides and tensioner guide I could see from the top were in good condition so I guess the service interval would be with the timing chain change.

Cheers

Bennie
        2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• rykiel575
          • Sep 2017
          • Sydney

The revised part in my NW it lasts a long time. Mine was original when i took it out at 300k kms and it was only a 1.5mm deep indentation line into the plastic.

Of course YMMV

The original part however needs to be replaced.
          2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• FarawayCampers
            • Mar 2019
            • SA

Originally posted by rykiel575 View Post
            The original part however needs to be replaced.

If it is a common issue, shame they don't replace it under recall LOL. Oh well.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X