X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XTV
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide Hills

I have a strip of E bay LED lights powered from a 12 volt socket - about 2 metres long and very bright. Spec claimed 1 amp consumption, however I measured it at more like 2.5 amps, so could easily flatten a car/caravan battery in a few hours.

quote - I reckon there is a market for a range of camping gear that you can run off drill batteries. If I could have an exchangeable battery for my airbed inflator, a lamp, a strip light, maybe even a tent fan and tyre inflator (which I appreciate is already available) - I reckon it'd be a winner".

This would be very easy to do and a great idea - 12 volt batteries for power tools are easy to come by on Ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/12%20vol...ery?rmvSB=true, and the electrical connection would be very straight forward.

Comment

• Sam Pato
      • Jan 2011
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by XTV View Post
      I have a strip of E bay LED lights powered from a 12 volt socket - about 2 metres long and very bright. Spec claimed 1 amp consumption, however I measured it at more like 2.5 amps, so could easily flatten a car/caravan battery in a few hours.

quote - I reckon there is a market for a range of camping gear that you can run off drill batteries. If I could have an exchangeable battery for my airbed inflator, a lamp, a strip light, maybe even a tent fan and tyre inflator (which I appreciate is already available) - I reckon it'd be a winner".

This would be very easy to do and a great idea - 12 volt batteries for power tools are easy to come by on Ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/12%20vol...ery?rmvSB=true, and the electrical connection would be very straight forward.

Undeterred I had a bit more of a look into this and it quickly dawned on me that I have two such convertors already in my car that knock down 12v DC to 5v DC USB sockets. I found a couple of bits of useful information online and ordered a step down convertor with USB output from China for about $2-. We measured up my Aldi battery and my eldest daughter printed me off an adapter on the 3D printer at school. Its a rough prototype at the moment but it should work OK.

I'm guessing that your estimate of current draw is about right as the battery is lasting about 25% of the predicted time (note - I'd posted the wrong mAH in my post above - now corrected). Its still do-able but not quite as low maintenance as I'd first hoped. Still good though!

Cheers

Sam
      Pajero NS GLX 3.2DID 2008, SPVIII, DPF Delete, Inlet Clean, ARB bullbar, Pioneer Platform

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X