Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 16-12-09

Default Should I use overdrive when towing?

He guy's
This xmas I will be towing my jayco camper up to Qld and was talking to my mechanic recently and asked about using overdrive when towing and he said no problems, but a few weeks ago I had my NL put on gas and that mechanic said I shouldnt use overdrive when towing.Just wondering what some seasoned Paj drivers have found when pulling a van.
Cheers Ash
Old 16-12-09
Valued Member

I'm not sure about that Ash? I tow with my NJ with o/d engaged. If it hits a steep climb it changes back. Unless mechanic was saying something about the LPG? Can't imagine that being a problem even though it obviously burns hotter but the engine is designed for it.
Peter

MN Triton GLX Plus, dual batteries, ARB winchbar, Airtec snorkel and 3T towbar. Love it!!
Old 16-12-09

well I would say NO
the way it was easily described to me was that the input shaft to the gearbox can become "bent" due to the tourque being forced down the shaft. Similar to the way that a small drill bit will bend when being pushed hard while drilling. The shaft will return to its normal shape when the tourque is backed off but it is while the "bend" is present ,that it may cause a slight miss alignement with the meshing of the drive gears and spigot bearing
hope this helps
Old 16-12-09
Valued Member

Have also been recommended to not use it.

Auto box can overheat according to some.

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
Old 16-12-09
Valued Member

i reckon it all depends on how heavy your load is that youll be towing.
Old 17-12-09

Hi matatak
I will be towing around the 1300kg mark I reckon.
Old 17-12-09

I was told when i had a new transmission put in that the most likely reason the old one was cactus was from towing too much with the overdrive on - something to do with heat dissipation being better when the overdrive is off
Old 17-12-09

I reckon as long as its not working hard 'lugging' in o/d its fine. The clutch in the torque convertor are quite small and cant handle huge amounts of torque through them.

The problem with towing while it isnt in o/d is that the engine is spinning harder and working the fluid in the convertor harder which generates more heat.

The enemy of the auto trans is heat so think about having an external trans cooler fitted if towing is going to be a common task.
Old 17-12-09

I have towed for years in my Paj, I used to tow a 16ft poptop and always in OD. I now tow a 2 tonne monster full van and after having my gear box shit itself I now tow with OD OFF. I dont let the rev's go much over 3 grand and so far on this trip ( one month on the road) all is fine. Economy is as per expected ( 250 kms on a tank of LPG 65 litres)and I dont find the Paj hunting for gears. We average about 85-90 kph on good roads.
For the longitivity of your tranny I would recommend towing in OD OFF.
I love her
Old 17-12-09
Valued Member

I would say o/d off but if you were going along a straight stretch slightly downhill I dont see why you couldnt engage it then.