Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 09-02-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
At 80km/h in 5th the engine is around 1500 rpm, the torque converter is unlocking to reduce vibration. At lower engine speeds vibration will increase with load - the lower the revs, the lower the load at which vibration becomes noticeable. Above about 2000 rpm this vibration is no longer noticeable at any load.

In 4th gear, above about 2000 rpm, the Aisin transmission in the Pajero does not unlock the torque converter under load.
This has been my findings too (including when towing).

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boos guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
Old 10-02-20
Valued Member

Sorry for the late reply. This is what I was forwarded
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resistor.jpg (153.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Installation.JPG (53.6 KB, 48 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pajero Gen 3 Torque Converter Lock Up Kit.pdf (980.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-02-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfarru View Post

Thank you very much.

Ive seen a few diagrams but yours is easiest one to read.
Im going to attempt this one day when Ive done enough research and gained enough courage.
02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, Cat Delete, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22 Black Rhino wheels with Black Bear A/T tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 3 dump pipe, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3 polished inlet piping, plus other mods

99 Challenger 2.8td auto Sold
Old 11-02-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfarru View Post
Thanks mate! The trouble with this type of setup is it causes the solenoid to prematurely fail. The factory ECU only runs the solenoid at about 50% duty cycle to keep the converter locked, that equates to about 5-6v. The coil in the solenoid burns out if its fed 13-14v constantly.

Ive got my setup functioning properly after a few days of troubleshooting once I installed it in the car. Turned out that I needed a diode to stop feedback from the solenoid interfering with the operation of the mosfet. That bloody 35c part had me scratching my head and going mad trying to figure out why it was working on the bench, but not in the car!
Old 11-02-20
Administrator

You may find information in the following post useful.
https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=35928

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 11-02-20

For anyone that’s interested the Jatco box runs a 2.9khz PWM frequency and when the ECU locks the converter, it starts at roughly 65-70% duty cycle before dropping to 50-52% within a couple of seconds. Obviously it engages it fairly firmly to make sure it doesn’t slip and then backs off once it’s properly locked.

The setup that I’ve built cost about $100 all up to throw together and at this stage is just a basic lock/unlock setup. I’ll keep playing with it now it’s functioning in the car and aim to have it unlock automatically when coming to a stop and then lock again once it reaches a certain speed. Could also use throttle position etc to influence its behaviour. Just a matter of getting the time to tinker with it.

I’m also starting to work on an arduino based boost controller for the VNT turbo setup. ��
Old 11-02-20

This is what it turned out looking like all put together. I did away with the potentiometer and stuck with a fixed duty cycle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48787C41-BE73-4E8D-AB7D-6E4FAFB094A1.jpg (92.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 22-02-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by geopaj View Post
This has been my findings too (including when towing).
I have never noticed any vibration. I understood that the lock up was to reduce fuel consumption while cruising under light loads.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 23-03-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsutt View Post
I have never noticed any vibration. I understood that the lock up was to reduce fuel consumption while cruising under light loads.

Exactly...