• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • womble
    • Apr 2012
    • Adelaide

NX Transmission problem

Hi Guys

Interesting one today. Towing a trailer today in manual mode in 4H (have paddle shift kit) and all of a sudden the Neutral light starts flashing on the dash and won't change gears manually. Go back to Drive and the light is still flashing. After dropping the trailer off and driving off still the same problems. No faults listed on the App I use to monitor either
    About to disconnect the postive from the battery to see if that will clear the problem or not.

Anyone come across this at all?
    2016 NX GLX Pajero, ARB Bar, Safari Snorkel, Lightforce DL230HTX, D697's, EGR Plug and Play and The Ultimate Suspension 2" lift
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Womble,

Most unusual to have "N" flashing on a Gen 4, more likely on a PB/PC Challenger or MN Triton with the Jatco auto.
    Were you towing in "D" and were you going uphill?

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• womble
      • Apr 2012
      • Adelaide

Hi Jack
      I was towing through the suburbs so pretty flat. I had started out in D but changed to manual mode then probably 15 minutes after is when it started
      2016 NX GLX Pajero, ARB Bar, Safari Snorkel, Lightforce DL230HTX, D697's, EGR Plug and Play and The Ultimate Suspension 2" lift

Comment

• geopaj
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Adelaide

Flashing 'N' is the transimission's version of a check engine light (ie way of displaying a fault).

Ive had it occur on 2 occasisons... 1. While doing an underdash job I knocked the trans ECU connector. This was an easy fix as the plug just needed re-seating, and 2. The Ultragauge caused an U1100 code (communication error) this also caused a check engine light. This was also an easy fix - unplug Ultragauge, turn ignition off and back on.

I would start with the basics above if it doesn't clear after disconnecting the battery.

With the 'N' flashing you'll also probably find a couple of other things happen - ie trans doesn't change smoothly, possibly locked out of top gear and te cruise control may not work??

How heavy was the trailer and where were you driving at the time (I'm wondering how much heat the trans was creating at the time)

Let us know how you go.
        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• gaz1
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Blue Mountains NSW

I think there is a code to the way the 'N' light flashes - when I had the NM (Jatco tranny) it happened to me and I found a list of the codes somewhere and diagnosed problem as bad connection in the control harnesses. Check and cleaned them (bugger of a job, some of them are hard to get at) and all was good afterwards. A second thought, noticing your mention of a paddle shift kit, have you tried disconnecting that and seeing if that fixes the flashing light?
          Last edited by gaz1; 17-03-19, 11:53 AM.
          2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Hi Womble,

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems.

I've had a "flashing N" similar to your experience (won't change gears manually) which was an OBD communication problem caused by my OBD monitor (Torque Pro App), but I could find a U1100 error code, and clear it using Torque Pro.

What app are you using to check for codes? Have you tried clearing codes anyway?

The other flashing N fault I get is for a mod to help manage the lock-up induced "quirk" mode - but when I induce that fault, I can still change gears manually.

When it won't change gears manually, have you tried with the stick rather than the paddles? If something has happened to your "D" detect switch circuit (the one that comes with paddle-mate) that could (theoretically, depending on what's happened and when) cause an error code - but I would expect that to reset with cycling the ignition.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• womble
              • Apr 2012
              • Adelaide

I have tried changing with the stick and no luck with that either. Car dives as normal when in D but with the N flashing and just can't change gears manually. The trailer was in no way too heavy and most of the trip was on a slight down hill angle. Originally at the start was just in drive and 2H, but changed to manual and 4H then about 15 minutes or so later the N started flashing
              Have just unplugged the WIFI OBD unit and unplugged the battery again, The App i use is called OBD fusion but as stated isnt showing any codes.

Will get in touch with Mitsubishi tomorrow but am wary about if they would try and blame the paddle kit or something as with the dramas I had earlier with a warranty claim against a CV due to the car being "lifted". Thanks for the help so far everyone

Comment

• womble
                • Apr 2012
                • Adelaide

So just an update. It appears that something has gone wrong with the paddle shift setup. I checked all connections and all was good. When unplugged the problem went away. Thankfully nothing major and maybe something in the magic box has died?? Took the car to the dealer and they couldn't find a fault and said that the gearbox seemed to be confused as to what mode it was in. Hopefully M_and_M can get me sorted again

Comment

• Jan 2016
                  • adelaide

Originally posted by womble View Post
                  So just an update. It appears that something has gone wrong with the paddle shift setup. I checked all connections and all was good. When unplugged the problem went away. Thankfully nothing major and maybe something in the magic box has died?? Took the car to the dealer and they couldn't find a fault and said that the gearbox seemed to be confused as to what mode it was in. Hopefully M_and_M can get me sorted again

have you got the N flashing cleared?
                  just got the same problem,thou not towing,no paddle shift,I do have 2 things plugged into obd,have had no problem.for almost 2 years ,a HUD and a obd dongle via a Y splitter,
                  car drives normal except not smooth when changing gear

Comment

• womble
                    • Apr 2012
                    • Adelaide

I have the N cleared by unplugging the paddle kit. I would say your problem might be something else. Interestingly M_&_M has tested the Paddle mate and it checks out, so who knows what the problem with mine is

Comment

• Jan 2016
                      • adelaide

I have the N cleared by unplugging the paddle kit. I would say your problem might be something else. Interestingly M_&_M has tested the Paddle mate and it checks out, so who knows what the problem with mine is

I unplugged the HUD for a minute,now the engine light is gone.cruise control is working again!
                      heading to Qld today,would be a pain without cruise control

Comment

• m_and_m
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2010
                        • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Womble,
                        The paddle-mate passed bench testing, and to be sure I’ve tested it in my car for a few days...no problems.
                        I have also thoroughly buzzed the harness...all good.
                        So that leaves either the actual paddles wiring, or....a gremlin.
                        Will be in touch to help with the next steps.
                        2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                        2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                        Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• womble
                          • Apr 2012
                          • Adelaide

Hi m_and_m

Weird, will be interesting to see what happens when all plugged in again

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X