Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Rescue mission, hilarity does not ensue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peejay68au
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • nsw

Rescue mission, hilarity does not ensue.

So get a phone call from the father in law saying we're stuck. Can we come and pull him out. Ok, first offroad experience in the new beasty.

Pick him up and go back to his place to pick up a tow rope, get that and a couple of jacks just in case. Now a few hours before hand I've cleared out the back to sort through what I need to carry, and what I don't need.

I had two axes a shovel a tow rope and various bit and pieces all sitting in the house to go in the back but as is my luck I've walk out and forgot them.

He says go this way we're not far in. I get about 25 feet in and now I'm bogged to the axles!! New tyres better suited to wet muddy soft conditions is now on the christmas list.

We're stuck in about two feet of water and mud that my old beasty sailed through a couple of hours before hand. So we get the jacks out and start a walking to get old beasty out.

I grab my $30 bunnings wind up torch out (best $30 I've ever spent) and start staggering through the mud and darkness. We get to the beasty and three out of four wheels are axle deep in soft ground.

We start jacking and digging and packing wheels to try and get some traction all to no avail. The battery has gone flat because they've left the lights on and the interior lights blazing away. Good thing he had a spare battery strapped in the back.

Jumper cables out and no go on that score. Swap batteries and away she fires. Now back to finding traction. Boards lumps of concrete and a full bag of hardened cement we finally get it moved. Now to turn beasty around we have to reverse back trying to miss the bog holes. He rips it back straight into two trees, not much damage apart from a bump in the bumper. Maybe next time I yell stop he'll listen.

Finally get back to the new beasty, which is conveniently parked right in the middle of the track. As he wheels up the side of the new beasty the arse end decides to slip down the ruts and I'm just waiting for the bang to go with it. Doesn't come.

Now we have to pull me out of the bog while still half in it himself. This is not going well. My beasty won't budge. Until he starts yanking it forward in spurts. Yay I'm free.

Now all up it's 3 hours later and two very muddy Pajeros head off in opposite directions.

The moral of the story is, buy a bloody winch!! It makes a bad night less bad and may put some fun into it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Sandgroper
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Perth

I would love to see some photos
    Sandgroper.
    NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

Comment

• icysyrup
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • USA

X2 on the photos. but if you are anything like me when this stuff happens I always seem to forget the camera and kick myself later
      03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• peejay68au
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • nsw

Pics are coming when I can upload them, for what there worth. It was as black as your boot and the flash couldn't light up much.

The first thing I did when I got home was hose the buggery out underneath of the car. About an hours worth of hosing, the clay and gunk didn't want to budge from some spots. I might go buy a pressure cleaner to make it a little easier next time.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• peejay68au
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • nsw

Right here we go with some poorly camera work. Which I'm blaming on the stress of the situation.

This is what I came to.

Not a good shot but this is my good side.

The aftermath.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Ranger J
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Perth, Western Australia

haha nice!

I've had some embarrassing phonecalls to friends and family to come and snatch me out from being horribly stuck on my own - and do you think I've learnt my lesson by now???

The most memorable being stuck in soft sand at my local area, everytime the wheels moved was a inch closer to a sump filled with water. Stuck for several hours, tried everything, had to call my old man to snatch me out - Wasn't a happy chappy. Broke a tow strap in the process, he almost killed his clutch. An hour later I was out, but an hour late for the resteraunt that had been booked.b MOTHERS DAY . Oh dear!
            NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X