• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The One Demon
    • Feb 2020
    • Australia

Dumb Question - What RPM is considered trashing/flogging in NP Pajero 3.2l

So I've kind of been wondering since getting my Pajero, what RPM is considered trashing it and too high for everyday driving?

Also similar question, when 4WDing, is up near 4k RPM alright to go up a hill? Silly questions I know, but I've never owned a diesel and kind of wondering what others have to say about it lol.

Cheers, Demon.
    2005 NP Pajero 3.2, Manual - 3" Scott's Rods Exhaust, Bullbar, 2" lift, 31" A/T, Rhino Racks, Fox Awning
  • cruisn06
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2011
    • Perth WA

Originally posted by The One Demon View Post
    So I've kind of been wondering since getting my Pajero, what RPM is considered trashing it and too high for everyday driving?

Also similar question, when 4WDing, is up near 4k RPM alright to go up a hill? Silly questions I know, but I've never owned a diesel and kind of wondering what others have to say about it lol.

Cheers, Demon.
    Depends, if it requires 4k it requires 4k.

I try to stay around 3k on hard climbs if not lower.

As for engine abuse, service it and you can do high rpm work not a problem. just remember it normally sits at 2500rpm constant for highway so thats its happy range, where as my old girl sits at 3100rpm they both have the same redline. no issues at all.

anything above 3 is sorta flogging a diesel as they dont rev much anyways.
    07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

If the hill can be climbed with traction alone, I try to keep around 2k rpm, somewhere near peak torque.

If momentum is required, like charging up Big Red in the Simpson Desert, I'm happy to rev to peak power, somewhere around 4k rpm.

Using Torque Pro, my tacho display records max & min - after multiple attempts to charge up a sand dune at Dorado Downs my max recorded was 4600 rpm.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Keithyv
        Valued Member
        • May 2018
        • Perth

There's a red line on the tacho.
        Keep it below that
        2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
        MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• The One Demon
          • Feb 2020
          • Australia

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
          There's a red line on the tacho.
          Keep it below that
          Haha, I'll keep that in mind
          2005 NP Pajero 3.2, Manual - 3" Scott's Rods Exhaust, Bullbar, 2" lift, 31" A/T, Rhino Racks, Fox Awning

Comment

• Nab
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2012
            • Perth

Same as above, I usually kept below 3000rpm for everyday driving but if I needed the power my foot was to the floor for as long as I needed so often went up just over 4K, it has a rev limiter/governer so if all else is good with the motor it will take it all day long!

I did the Nullabor a few times towing the camper in 4th gear, sat on 2700-2800rpm for days on end fully loaded with a 1.6T trailer behind it into headwinds etc, no dramas whatsoever.

In saying that, you will notice that using the diesels low down torque in day to day driving that you don't go much faster revving its head off, 2500rpm was usually enough to keep up with traffic and will keep fuel economy respectable.
            SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
            NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• The One Demon
              • Feb 2020
              • Australia

Originally posted by Nab View Post
              Same as above, I usually kept below 3000rpm for everyday driving but if I needed the power my foot was to the floor for as long as I needed so often went up just over 4K, it has a rev limiter/governer so if all else is good with the motor it will take it all day long!

I did the Nullabor a few times towing the camper in 4th gear, sat on 2700-2800rpm for days on end fully loaded with a 1.6T trailer behind it into headwinds etc, no dramas whatsoever.

In saying that, you will notice that using the diesels low down torque in day to day driving that you don't go much faster revving its head off, 2500rpm was usually enough to keep up with traffic and will keep fuel economy respectable.
              Yeah, I've kind of noticed that after 3000 ish RPM you don't really pick up much acceleration ahah. I had a cammed VX Clubsport before, so after about 2500 RPM you pick up more power the further you go ahah. Bit different to this lol. Cheers.

Comment

• Roofchop
                • Jul 2018
                • Carool, Australia

Don't think I've ever looked at my tacho when off roading....or on roading.

If you are able to and the motor needs another gear go for it.

Look ahead......Anticipate.

If it's bogging grab a lower gear and if your on the limiter grab a higher gear.

Diesel or petrol

2007 NS 3.8 V6 GLX Auto

Comment

• Larbro65
                  • Feb 2020
                  • Brisbane

100%

They are designed for 100% duty cycle - you can drive it WOP ( Wide Open Throttle)r all day long if need be . obviously when things get older how long it can do it for is another thing

Comment

• farcanal
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by The One Demon View Post

Cheers, Demon.
                    Just stumbled on this thread , lurking around the forum looking for something to do.
                    Anyone who's done the "desert run" in Dubai will know how strong these modern diesels are.
                    I was in a Prado at the time but spotted Landcruisers, Patrols and even Jeeps in other groups.
                    These cars are literally thrashed in low range 4 wheel drive through sand for hours....and in blistering heat.
                    I doubt any conditions in Australia could replicate these conditions......so, yeah, go for it.

Comment

• Kingmarz
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2016
                      • South Island New Zealand

Mine goes above 4k rpm daily at 26psi sometimes when engine is dead cold. Just changed oil yesterday and after 8 hard months it was still on the top mark with zero added which is good considering it’s done over 400,000km
                      02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• Having Fun
                        • Jun 2015
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Larbro65 View Post
                        They are designed for 100% duty cycle - you can drive it WOP ( Wide Open Throttle)r all day long if need be . obviously when things get older how long it can do it for is another thing

Not sure I'd be running a diesel motor at WOT for too long! It will go bang.

OK with a petrol two stroke with a rev limited coil that stops it over revving, but there's a red line on the tacho of your Pajero for a reason lol.

Even on a two stroke petrol, if you don't have a rev limited coil, you'd want to have it tuned so that it "four strokes" (burbles) at around 11,000 - 12,000 RPM if you're going to run it at WOT or it will be toast!

Comment

• Kingmarz
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2016
                          • South Island New Zealand

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
                          Not sure I'd be running a diesel motor at WOT for too long! It will go bang.

OK with a petrol two stroke with a rev limited coil that stops it over revving, but there's a red line on the tacho of your Pajero for a reason lol.

Even on a two stroke petrol, if you don't have a rev limited coil, you'd want to have it tuned so that it "four strokes" (burbles) at around 11,000 - 12,000 RPM if you're going to run it at WOT or it will be toast!

This is not the place to compare two stroke engines to diesel engines.
                          02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• dhula
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2012
                            • South of Perth

Diesels have a rev limiter for a reason also.

Run it as hard as you want remembering that hi revs/hi loads will increase engine and other wear, maintain appropriately and it shouldn't be a problem
                            2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                            2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Having Fun
                              • Jun 2015
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Kingmarz View Post
                              This is not the place to compare two stroke engines to diesel engines.

He mentioned wide open throttle, which refers to a two stroke, not a diesel.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X