Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Help needed to get rusted in tow hitchout (NW)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
    Freak accident. I say bullshit! Anyone with a little bit of commonsense would know the condition of their towbar. Something must have been very loose or rusty for a towbar to fall off...lack of maintenance. This was a totally preventable accident.
    I agree totally preventable.

As I read it, the tongue came out, then a B Double drove over it and flicked it up.

How does a tongue come out? I can't imagine the pin failing, but perhaps it didn't have a clip, pin fell out, tongue fell out? Or a distracted driver never inserted the pin to begin with?

What sort of a driver runs over a tow bar tongue at highway speeds?
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• wazznt
      • May 2015
      • Western Vic

Originally posted by nj swb View Post

As I read it, the tongue came out, then a B Double drove over it and flicked it up.

How does a tongue come out? I can't imagine the pin failing, but perhaps it didn't have a clip, pin fell out, tongue fell out? Or a distracted driver never inserted the pin to begin with?

I have had a clip and pin go missing while towing a trailer and after being parked in a public carpark ,it was probably pulled out by someone thinking they were being funny.
      Similar thing happened with a boat trailer at the marina ,safety clip removed and coupling unlocked.
      Now I always double check coupling and safety pins/clips before leaving public areas if the vehicle has been unattended.
      NT Exceed ,almost stock .

Comment

• Wazza999
        • Jun 2018
        • Canberra

All sorts of road debris is dangerous. I once had lugs ripped off a tyre on the Hume at 110 kph. Another 4wd passing me in the adjacent lane flicked up a piece of truck tyre tread probably only 20 cm or so long. This hit the tyre with a considerable thud. I pulled over to check and found two lugs completely severed and the steel belts exposed. Could easily have blown out.

MY11 NT Pajero RX 3.2 DiD, OME 2'' lift, Boo' s bash plates (3mm), BFG KO2s (18''), ECB bar

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Wazza999 View Post
          All sorts of road debris is dangerous. I once had lugs ripped off a tyre on the Hume at 110 kph. Another 4wd passing me in the adjacent lane flicked up a piece of truck tyre tread probably only 20 cm or so long. This hit the tyre with a considerable thud. I pulled over to check and found two lugs completely severed and the steel belts exposed. Could easily have blown out.

MY11 NT Pajero RX 3.2 DiD, OME 2'' lift, Boo' s bash plates (3mm), BFG KO2s (18''), ECB bar
          You cannot under estimate the problems a small piece of road debris can cause at speed. The Concord crash is a classic example of this;
          Concorde Crash From Start To Finish Air France Flight 4590Night Sounds 🌒 Water Sounds, Relaxing Sounds, Meditation Sounds, Deep Sleep Relaxinghttps://www.yo...

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

My wife and daughter wee driving back from Canberra one night when something came through the windscreen of our TM Magna. My daughter complained of a headache but my wife was rather confused and turned around to drive back to Canberra to stay overnight with friends. Next day she took the car to get a new screen - no problems.

Cleaning the car out later (she has a fetish about broken glass), she found a large chrome wheel nut and a broken stud in the rear passenger footwell. This thing is heavy. She checked my daughter's head and found a slight scratch near her right ear. No wonder she had a headache! Even a millimetre further one way could have been fatal. We never found out who or what truck/bus lost their wheel nut, but probably the rest of the nuts on that wheel were probably ready to fail as well.

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by wazznt View Post
              I have had a clip and pin go missing while towing a trailer and after being parked in a public carpark ,it was probably pulled out by someone thinking they were being funny.
              Similar thing happened with a boat trailer at the marina ,safety clip removed and coupling unlocked.
              Now I always double check coupling and safety pins/clips before leaving public areas if the vehicle has been unattended.

Not uncommon at boat parks. Always one fool who doesn't stop to think his idea of fun could very well kill someone! Anytime I take my boat out the trailer and pin are locked so idiots cant steal or think they are cunny funts!!
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by erad View Post
                My wife and daughter wee driving back from Canberra one night when something came through the windscreen of our TM Magna. My daughter complained of a headache but my wife was rather confused and turned around to drive back to Canberra to stay overnight with friends. Next day she took the car to get a new screen - no problems.

Cleaning the car out later (she has a fetish about broken glass), she found a large chrome wheel nut and a broken stud in the rear passenger footwell. This thing is heavy. She checked my daughter's head and found a slight scratch near her right ear. No wonder she had a headache! Even a millimetre further one way could have been fatal. We never found out who or what truck/bus lost their wheel nut, but probably the rest of the nuts on that wheel were probably ready to fail as well.

Very lucky.

Daughter will have a good conversation starter!!
                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Nathan1000
                  • Jul 2019
                  • Auckland New Zealand

I had a similar problem. Managed to use the bottle jack and a lot of penetrating oil to get it out. Sledge hammer did nothing. Was very relieved when it moved.

Comment

• craka
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by nj swb View Post

It's quite a tragic thing to happen.

I don't think many drivers would intend to run over a tow bar tongue. Considering a B double is over 20metres in length, and if it come off a passing vehicle from the opposite direction at the same time driver probably wouldn't have had a clue about it until the aftermath.

I think the bigger problem is how it has come loose from the vehicle it originated from.
                    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• signo1985
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Perth

Ehi gents, I have a similar issue even if not as bad (the tow hitch came off with little effort).

The question is, how do I properly clean the hitch receiver?

Cheers

Comment

• symo
                        • Jan 2012
                        • Brisvegas

Originally posted by signo1985 View Post
                        Ehi gents, I have a similar issue even if not as bad (the tow hitch came off with little effort).

The question is, how do I properly clean the hitch receiver?

Cheers

I hit mine with some wd40 whilst parked on a slight nose down angle , old newspaper / rags wrapped around a broom handle to clean it out. I do this once a year with no issues since but I do swap hitches monthly between bike rack and towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• signo1985
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Perth

Originally posted by symo View Post
                          I hit mine with some wd40 whilst parked on a slight nose down angle , old newspaper / rags wrapped around a broom handle to clean it out. I do this once a year with no issues since but I do swap hitches monthly between bike rack and towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Cheers.
                          So you reckon there us no need of grinding it/filing it etc to remove the rust?
                          Or use some rust converter or other products?

Comment

• Old Paj
                            Pajero Club Life Member
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Heathcote, Vic

If rusting is a serious concern, a brew of watered down molasses cleans up rust really well. For ratios Google is your friend, experience has shown about 10:1 works reasonably well.

Don't rush the process, for light rust 7 days of soaking works well.
                            NX Pajero, Duel Batteries (under bonnet), Factory Nudge Bar, Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, TowPro Elite, Icom IC-450, Cooper ST-Maxx Tyres (off road), AutoMate, towing 2015 Vista Crossover XL.

Comment

• Allan2
                              • May 2013
                              • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

In the back of the cobwebs I recall somewhere vinegar was used to help dissolve/loosen the rust allowing the tongue to be removed. I never leave my tongue in, when it is in, it is locked in with a lockable pin.
                              Allan
                              2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• signo1985
                                • Sep 2017
                                • Perth

The tongue is out, that is not the issue i can clean it up, but i cant really soak the receiver unless im taking the whole bar (which im not going to lol).
                                I wanna clean the inside of the receiver trying to reduce the risk of the rust coming back.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X