• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aspey
    • Dec 2015
    • Great Southern Land

Windscreen stone chips

I'm noticing my Pajero seems to cop a lot of windscreen stone hits on the highway. It might be the steep rake of the windscreen as my previous VE commodore seemed to get way less. Or maybe I'm just getting overtaken more in the Pajero. Either way it's annoying.
    The insurance companies generally wont replace the windscreen unless it's unrepairable.
    Does anyone else have the same bad luck with their windscreen?
    Has anyone tried the DIY windscreen repair kits and are they any good?
    NP VRX DID
  • Seigried
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2016
    • brisbane

No issues here. Are you driving on alot of sub par or unformed roads?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• gemster
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2012
      • Gold Coast

I had a few 'Stones' hit mine and put little stars in a few spots... If you haven't had a claim for awhile, a slight 'Little tap' will make your Screen Unrepairable... On my insurance I get 1 free screen a year...

I also got one of those Perspex Guards that fit on the leading edge of the bonnet... Haven't had any issues so far...

Gemster....
      YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
      And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
      ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

I get considerably more windscreen stone damage in my Pajeros than when I used to drive ordinary cars. I also think it is partly due to the upright windscreen angle - they certainly seem to hit harder. I wonder if there are different types/strengths of glass like there is in many other types of material? Oddly, most of my chips have occurred on bitumen highways rather than unsealed roads - perhaps the higher speeds contribute here?

My insurer (RAA) provides unlimited glass repairs and replacements per year. I don't think any insurer would replace screens unless they are non-repairable per the Australian Standard.

The most important issue with chip repairs is to keep dirt & water out of the chip until repaired, to get the best optical clarity in the repair - most windscreen places give away the special "stick on dots" to put over the chip, or at least put a piece of tape over it. Obviously the sooner it is repaired the better the optical result will be.
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• aussieintas
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2013
          • Sorell, Tasmania

Previously ive used those diy chip repair kits. Bit hit and miss but depends on the size of chip, location on screen etc........and the operator!!
          2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
          88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
          92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
          92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
          99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
          95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
          08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• kerway
            • Aug 2010
            • North West Sydney

The angle or lack thereof of the Pajeros windscreen definitely makes it more prone to stone chips. I had the same issue with a work truck that was basically vertical.
            I've replaced ( under windscreen insurance ) the windscreen twice in around 5 years. Both times, I saw the rock coming so I doubt if it any windscreen would have survived.
            I certainly wouldn't be without windscreen cover. Well worth the small premium
            NW CoolSilver with things bolted on it. Some better than others

Comment

• Aspey
              • Dec 2015
              • Great Southern Land

I have a stone guard on the leading edge of the bonnet, it's probably helping with stone chips on the bonnet but maybe it's deflecting the stones onto my windscreen. I mostly drive on highways 110kmh zone or around the city, (rarely on unsealed roads). If I sit on 105kmh I'll have people overtaking and cutting in front of me and sometimes flinging up stones.
              I made an insurance claim with a previous car as I had a bullseye right in the line of vision and the professional repair was still noticeable. I've heard windscreen glass quality can vary.
              The roads in Victoria are falling apart.
              NP VRX DID

Comment

• arrow
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2007

If I sit on 105kmh I'll have people overtaking and cutting in front of me
                too many think 110kmh is a target and not a limit!!!

The roads in Victoria are falling apart.
                ah, so you've been along the Great Ocean Road recently, then?

Comment

• Alex86
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Here and there

Bit late on this one but for what it's worth (about $20 I think) those diy repair kits are handy. I've used them heaps. A set lives in one of the rear drawers. All the chips I repaired (a couple decent ones but not huge) never grew over the space a a couple years. Had to get a new screen due roadworthy time though.

Also have the plastic bonnet protector. I reckon they help. I've seen stones coming at me which have had their trajectory and speed altered by the airflow coming off the guard and my gut feeling is the chips would have been worse without the guard.
                  '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                  Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X