• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Sharpe
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2000
    • Tasmania

Jatco & Aisin transmissions

Was reading a review of the NT diesel when it was first released with the Aisin tranny. Blurb said the NT was now “punchier” due to the first gear of the new tranny.
    Looking at the specs on both trannys , the Jatco first gear is 3.8 & the Aisin is 3.52 so it would appear to me that the Jatco would be more “punchier” because it has a lower ratio.
    Unless of course the extra punch wasn’t coming from the tranny but in fact from the “punchier” 3.2 tdi with 18% more torque!
    NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
    NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Ian,

My reading has the;

NS 3.2 with the Jatco auto as 118kW, 392Nm@2750rpm, 1st gear ratio of 3.789:1, Torque Convertor stall ratio 1.62 and diff ratios of 4.1:1.

NT 3.2 with the Aisin Auto as 147kW (25% more), 441Nm@2000rpm (12.5% more), 1st gear ratio of 3.520:1 (7% higher) Torque Convertor stall ratio of 1.85:1 (14% more slip) and diff ratios of 3.917 (4.5% higher). So even though the 1st gear and diff ratios are higher, the extra power and torque of the engine combined with the extra torque multiplication effect of the higher stall ratio TC will give more off the line performance.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• pharb
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
      Was reading a review of the NT diesel when it was first released with the Aisin tranny. Blurb said the NT was now “punchier” due to the first gear of the new tranny.
      Looking at the specs on both trannys , the Jatco first gear is 3.8 & the Aisin is 3.52 so it would appear to me that the Jatco would be more “punchier” because it has a lower ratio.
      Unless of course the extra punch wasn’t coming from the tranny but in fact from the “punchier” 3.2 tdi with 18% more torque!
      Normal modern day media who have no idea what they are actually working with

I remember reading motoring magazines as a kid where the author would go to great lengths to explain the mechanics of what made the vehicle feel the way it did. Even power and torque graphs and calculated over all gearing to explain why one vehicle felt different to drive in particular circumstances to another.

Now they all seem to just talk about how this new model feels better than the old. But not really why.

Rarely find an article that doesn't just seem like an infomercial.

Still have to chuckle when I still see an "road test" every now and again that shitcans the placement of the Pajero air intake due to possibility of water intake on water crossings, as though they have just discovered this flaw even though it has been there for 20 years, without any published ill affects.
      PCOV Member 1107.
      Daily driver NX GLX
      Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
      Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
      Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

I began to take published road test reports with a grain of salt when the Magna was released. One major magazine praised its neutral handling, the other criticised it for terrible understeer.

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2000
          • Tasmania

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          Hi Ian,

My reading has the;

NS 3.2 with the Jatco auto as 118kW, 392Nm@2750rpm, 1st gear ratio of 3.789:1, Torque Convertor stall ratio 1.62 and diff ratios of 4.1:1.

NT 3.2 with the Aisin Auto as 147kW (25% more), 441Nm@2000rpm (12.5% more), 1st gear ratio of 3.520:1 (7% higher) Torque Convertor stall ratio of 1.85:1 (14% more slip) and diff ratios of 3.917 (4.5% higher). So even though the 1st gear and diff ratios are higher, the extra power and torque of the engine combined with the extra torque multiplication effect of the higher stall ratio TC will give more off the line performance.

OJ.
          Yeah
          So as I suspected it has nothing to Do with the transmission first gear ratios at all
          NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
          NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• ironrock
            • Mar 2019
            • India

Sorry if this topic has been already discussed has anyone upgraded from a jatco to an aisin , what wud be the steps , am guessing there will be ecu changes etc too

Comment

• Perri
              • Jun 2017
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by ironrock View Post
              Sorry if this topic has been already discussed has anyone upgraded from a jatco to an aisin , what wud be the steps , am guessing there will be ecu changes etc too
              Hi all, Just wanted to know if anyone has done this and know what is involved. i have been told by my ATF guys that my transmission probably dont have much life left and started looking around and noticed the Aisan is half the price used than the jatco and also considered superior. Since not much has changed on these models,

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X