Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 20-03-18

Default Pros and Cons Safari or Airtech Snorkels

Hi All,

I'm about to put a snorkel on the MY16 GLX and can't decide between the two despite being able to have the Airtech fitted for slightly more than the cost of the Safari unit.

I've had 4 Safari snorkels on various vehicles before, all fitted by myself, and apart from the vibration issue with the last one, (a common fault with the inner guard pipe and cammy motor) all have given years of excellent service, but with the Pajero there seems to be a lot of underhood relocation of items.

Does the Airtech require as much relocation work under the bonnet.

I'm interested to hear any issues with either to help me sway one way or the other as price isn't doing it yet as I would prefer to pay more if the product is better as it will be on the car for some time and it's not the easiest to change if you get it wrong.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY16 NX Graphite GLX, ARB Deluxe Bar, MM Towbar, REDARC Towpro Elite, Spare Wheel Lift, Full MSA Canvas, Sandgrabbas, Provent 200, HD Lovells and Bilstiens, Hema HN7, Scanguage Poly Airs, MM 4x4 Lockup Mate, Icom 450, RFI 6.6 & 3db, Traxide DB90 DBS, Drifta Custom Drawers, Stedi ST3303
Old 22-03-18

Airtec retains indicator on front guard, safari doesn’t and a blank is fitted from what I have seen
Old 23-03-18

No Indicator on NX guard so not relevant to snorkel install. Understand that airbox has to be moved slightly towards the rear firewall with a Safari snorkel.
Cheers

Glenno
Old 23-03-18

I Have a Safari and it annoys the hell out of me with the vibration, no one can seem to help. ARB say no problem can't hear anything and Mitsubishi the same. Can't comment on the Airtech but if no one has had any issues with vibration go with that I reckon
Old 23-03-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenno View Post
No Indicator on NX guard so not relevant to snorkel install. Understand that airbox has to be moved slightly towards the rear firewall with a Safari snorkel.
Cheers

Glenno
Our NX has indicators on front guards
Old 23-03-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by womble View Post
I Have a Safari and it annoys the hell out of me with the vibration, no one can seem to help. ARB say no problem can't hear anything and Mitsubishi the same. Can't comment on the Airtech but if no one has had any issues with vibration go with that I reckon
Which air filter are you using?

I have the safari and no problems u til I got the car serviced anf mechanic used a non mitsubishi air filter and the air box would not seal properly and the air ox and whole snorkel was vibrating quite a lot. Took it back, put the old air filter back in and problem went away. Tried abother new air filter same brand that was in there after the service and vibrations back again.

Ended up just getting a refund for the air filter only and I bought a genuine mitsubishi air filter and again no problem.

Which one are you using?
Old 23-03-18
Valued Member

The indicator blank is barely visible when the Safari snorkel is fitted. And the air box relocation is done with a supplied bracket and only moved an inch or so from memory. The Safari snorkel has a removable head which can be handy if you have the need to swap the ram head for a dust separator or pre cleaner. Dont think the airtec snorkel does? Could be wrong though.

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.
Old 23-03-18
Valued Member

Safari.......you have to use the supplied small washer bottle.

Airtec........you can modify the original washer bottle, only losing a couple of hundred mm capacity.

I went with Airtec on mine for that reason but others say the supplied washer bottle hasn't been an issue.

Also at the time i could get Airtec cheaper than Safari.

My Aitec purchased a couple of weeks ago has removable head.

No issues with vibration etc to date.

Previously
88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit
Old 23-03-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by womble View Post
I've got a Safari on my NX and had to put up with a loud vibration noise when the car hit 2000 revs, just right for cruising down the highway.

I tried everything from changing air filters (they were original) to putting strips of door seal foam around the filter, thinking it was vibrating and causing the noise. it was driving me mad and really loud, like a buzzing sound.

When I got a second battery fitted, I asked the guys to check my snorkel installation (not done by them originally) and they found that there was a bracket missing inside the guard which meant that the pipe was vibrating against a partly cut off metal lug. They made up another bracket to clamp the pipe in place and I've had no noise since.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.

Last edited by Ian H; 23-03-18 at 06:13 PM.
Old 23-03-18
Valued Member

Twisted32 did a lot of research on this question. He ended up with the Airtech. many reasons, I think air flow was one of them but the Airteac is easier to fit.

Twisted is pretty thorough with his research+

Steve
2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel