• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barraking
    • Dec 2019
    • Derby Wa

Thanks

Yup no traffic up here lol. Just town driving during the week ie: dropping kids off to shool and to work etc but only had it 4 weeks with two highway runs to Broome (500km trip) with no towing. the display went to 15 on those trips. Checked the oil level this morning and it was fine. Runs fantastic and is a great car, i thought it may be because we have the air-con all the time but spoke to a mate last night who has a 2016 Paj and he gets 890-940kms per tank in his, just got a little worried because mines nearly half!!

Its just had the 1500km service and i thought it would get better but didn't, and the dealer i bought it from is nearly 3000kms away

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Barraking View Post
      Thanks

Yup no traffic up here lol. Just town driving during the week ie: dropping kids off to shool and to work etc but only had it 4 weeks with two highway runs to Broome (500km trip) with no towing. the display went to 15 on those trips. Checked the oil level this morning and it was fine. Runs fantastic and is a great car, i thought it may be because we have the air-con all the time but spoke to a mate last night who has a 2016 Paj and he gets 890-940kms per tank in his, just got a little worried because mines nearly half!!

Its just had the 1500km service and i thought it would get better but didn't, and the dealer i bought it from is nearly 3000kms away
      The Broome trip for a standard car should be more like 9 or similar at 100 or 110 - what speed were you sitting on & any strong headwinds? Mud tyres, roof racks, etc will add to fuel use.

How far is your typical town trip - if only a few kms each time it will show numbers like 30 or 40.

What tyre pressures are you running?
      Does the car run along for a while when you lift off the throttle or does it slow quickly?
      After a bit of a highway run without using the brakes much, stop & feel each wheel hub to ensure they are not too hot (be careful to only quickly touch first, in case they are very hot).

Your mates car (like mine) does not have the DPF - it will add maybe 1L/100 to your usage, but nothing like the 15 on the highway.

You can go to any MMAL dealer - it doesn't have to be the one you bought from. If there isn't one near you, ring MMAL to see if they have a local service agent.
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

... with two highway runs to Broome (500km trip) with no towing. the display went to 15 on those trips.
        You should be getting better than that on a highway run.

Do you have your vehicle loaded up, with lots on the roof, travelling at higher speeds into strong headwinds? Maybe then you could get to 15 l/100 km, but normal cruising, flat roads, 100 km/h with factory tyres, you should be able to do better than 12 l/100 km.

Loaded to GVM, with larger and heavier off-road tyres, I can get 12 l/100 km travelling at 110 km/h. I can't think of any reason you shouldn't be able to do the same, if not better.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Barraking
          • Dec 2019
          • Derby Wa

The car only has a factory bullbar, snorkel, standard dunlop grandtreks AT 18's no roof rack and was only two people on board. Think the tyres were at 38psi. Not sure about the slow down after i take my foot off (didn't pay much attention), there was only slight head wind. I am going on another Broome run tomorrow and will check the hubs and stuff and will take acurate readings of everything and let you all know how it goes before i ring MM to double check every thing.

Thanks for the help guys

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by rath View Post
            Thanks everyone for chipping in with insights! I am getting to grasp better about the Pajero.

Here is what I am going to try for the next tank or two:

(1) be more mindful of my driving style, use lighter foot
            (2) see the MM service if fuel economy still remains 15-17, and
            (3) also get MM to look at the squealing noises.

Chip tuning is interesting, but I need to research more about it; my understanding is extremely shallow. Perhaps at a later stage once I have exhausted the other options.

Cheers,

/RATH
            Yeah lighter foot & 2wd.
            I've seen 2wd discussed on other threads here before, relating to fuel usage recently.
            I drive a Triton so i'm only going off what someone wrote MM dealer advised him to try & he found it did make A difference, measured properly over few tanks, from memory only this is

Edit: I found it as below if it helps at all that is, another members experience

Search this Thread
            Rate Thread
            04-10-18
            s311_bvm

Hi Handy Andy and All,

Yes this fuel consumption issues is annoying, my experience matches that of Hany Andy’s mate… My dealer states nothing’s wrong with the car, all code is up to date and no errors exist. The service manager went as far as blaming the fuel economy on my use of 4H for all driving.

I have run in 4H as this forum has implied on late mode Pajeros 4H makes little difference on fuel. So on the service managers request I tested running in 2H.

Last 4 tanks consumption calculated at the pump in 4H only:
            14.11 L/100
            12.22 L/100
            12.35 L/100
            13.69 L/100
            After switching to 2H, next 4 tanks recorded.
            10.37 L/100
            12.37 L/100
            10.35 L/100
            10.05 L/100

Other people have indicated that the DPF NXs use approx 15% more fuel. I personally believe this is because of two reasons. I believe the change in final drive ratio from 3.917 to 3.692 is seeing the torque converted unlocked for longer to compensate particularly when towing. Additionally, I believe that fuel is being consumed with the DPF burn process.

This then leads me to some questions that I want to work on……
            How can I log the frequency and duration of DPF burns?
            Is the DPF burn frequency overly aggressive leading to excessive engine oil dilution with diesel?

I am tempted to drop my engine oil at the 7.5K mid service point and get samples tested by 3 separate test labs as I simply don’t like what I see on the dip stick.

However, I am guessing if I took these results back to the dealer they will blame my oil sampling for contaminating the samples and say I have voided warranty by doing it myself, this is so annoying.

As for Handy Andy’s mate going to yet another dealer, I unfortunately believe this will just be another waste of time.
            Last edited by Jasonmc73; 06-12-19, 01:15 PM.
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

The car only has a factory bullbar, snorkel, standard dunlop grandtreks AT 18's no roof rack and was only two people on board. Think the tyres were at 38psi. Not sure about the slow down after i take my foot off (didn't pay much attention), there was only slight head wind. I am going on another Broome run tomorrow and will check the hubs and stuff and will take acurate readings of everything and let you all know how it goes before i ring MM to double check every thing.

Thanks for the help guys
              What type/brand of snorkel do you have?
              Was it fitted at delivery?
              Have a look around to make sure everything is as it should be & no restriction to airflow.

I'm unsure if these add to fuel use?
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Tenacity
                • Oct 2019
                • Willetton WA

Thanks

Hi Barraking, you're up in Derby, nice part of the world whereas I'm down in Perth (Willetton). Haven't been up to the Kimberlys for a very long time, last time was in the late 90s with a GQ Patrol towing a caravan, great trip. Must do something similar with my new NX which is only around 2 months old and done just over 2k kms.
                On the subject of fuel consumption; I average around 9 to 10 Litres/km around town, sometimes lower when on the freeway, high when engine is cold but soon settles. Range is around the 700km mark from full. Absolutely no idea when my DPF does a regen, have noticed the engine tone change slightly a couple of times and think the consumption went up a little, maybe that was the regen. Keeping an eye on the engine oil dipstick level too, slightly above the full mark at the moment but still a fair way from the X when it needs to be changed due to fuel dilution.
                Rather than trust the on-board computer I also do some manual calculations on consumption when I fill up and they come out pretty close to what the monitor says; you may wish to try that just to double check.
                BTW, is that Boab prison tree still where it used to be?
                2019 NX Pajero
                OEM Alloy Bull-Bar, Bushranger Nighthawke Light Bar, Whispbar roof bars, Uniden UH8080S, Provent 200 Catch-can, Redarc tow-pro

Comment

• BOGWHEEL
                  • Oct 2019
                  • IPSWICH

Just finished my second tank of fuel @ 1500km.
                  Avg 10.55 lt / 100km - 400km of highway and balance around town.

Bit of a shock coming from a Amarok (7lt/100km) Not looking forward to towing.

Have started driving around in sports mode to stay out of 5th at low speeds to see if any better econ.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by BOGWHEEL View Post

Have started driving around in sports mode to stay out of 5th at low speeds to see if any better econ.

Are you comparing the V6 or 2 litre to the pajero?

The official figures claimed for the 2 litre is 8.3l per 100k.

The figures claimed for the V6 is 7.8 litres per 100k.

Comment

• BOGWHEEL
                      • Oct 2019
                      • IPSWICH

2Lt manual - towing 2 tonne (100kph @ 1750rpm) on a bad day 15lt/100km.

Have buyers remorse something bad.

Claimed V6 figures are very ????

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011
                        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Why did you sell the Amarok ?
                        Why did you choose a Pajero ?
                        There must have been pros and cons for each vehicle that you weighed up.

OJ.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Brisbane

That's terrible, my old manual Triton no Add blue & she pulled 1.5 tonish, accurate measure she was 11.56 litres over 2800k's!
                          Measured via Fuel maps Australia App.
                          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• rath
                            • Jan 2019
                            • Warrawee, NSW

Sounds similar to my experience for the first few Ks.

I did a 400 km run from Sydney to Nelson Bay and back last weekend; the info display showed 10.4 lt/100km while going and 9.2 while coming back.
                            Interestingly. I had the 4wd ON (slight patches of rain) and avoided the M1 for the first ~90 kms - the display showed 8.2lt/100km. The max allowed speeds were 80/90 kmph on these roads but very sparse traffic.
                            On the rest of the way driving on M1, the consumption climbed to 9.2 by the time I reached home.
                            Still better than expected I think, driving in 4wd.

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

Why did you sell the Amarok ?
                              Why did you choose a Pajero ?
                              There must have been pros and cons for each vehicle that you weighed up.

OJ..
                              What vintage Amarok? Was it one of the Dieselgate models with the emissions defeat software?

Dieselgate didn't happen on a whim - emissions standards have a significant impact on fuel efficiency. It's difficult to make meaningful comparisons of fuel efficiency between
                              • a lighter vehicle with a smaller engine that didn't comply with older emissions standards, and
                              • a heavier vehicle with a larger engine that (should) comply with tougher emissions standards.
                              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
                                Resident
                                • Jun 2007
                                • Adelaide

Originally posted by rath View Post
                                Sounds similar to my experience for the first few Ks.

I did a 400 km run from Sydney to Nelson Bay and back last weekend; the info display showed 10.4 lt/100km while going and 9.2 while coming back.
                                Interestingly. I had the 4wd ON (slight patches of rain) and avoided the M1 for the first ~90 kms - the display showed 8.2lt/100km. The max allowed speeds were 80/90 kmph on these roads but very sparse traffic.
                                On the rest of the way driving on M1, the consumption climbed to 9.2 by the time I reached home.
                                Still better than expected I think, driving in 4wd.
                                I'd be happy if I could achieve those numbers. Lifted & heavy with larger & heavier tyres I'm accustomed to seeing 11s, and sometimes 12s. I think in the 10s are good, and was ecstatic when highway running with a tailwind dropped to 9.9.

Without towing, or anything on the roof.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X