X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Obelix
    • Oct 2017
    • Perth, WA

Thanks guys - I hope so too. I bought this car last year - and only passed 6000 kms since I bought it. God knows where it went previously :-)

I only poured in cheaper Diesel once - when there was a choice.
    Always use the better one - and it seems I get more mileage out of it too.

I had a peek into the tank and the Diesel inside seems crystal clean - not to say there isn't any muck on the bottom. Will leave it as is for now :-)

re: It may even be better to completely remove the tank and wash it out

We'll see how it starts cold in the next few days. If I get to that, I'll see to re-weld the bolt I broke too.

Comment

• MickV
      • Jul 2018
      • 44 fourth ave, mt lawley

low fuel fuel starves

I followed Shawty's advice and had RACV change the in tank filter. They discovered a blue flaky material floating , clouding the fuel and coating the filter. Needed a full flush. Their suggestion is the flakes came from the inside lining of a metal gerry can, sprayed by manufacturers to slow corrosion, but it dissolves and comes away and fouls the fuel. Just crossed the nullarbor in it (NT) didn't miss a beat. Don't know if that's relevant to your situation.

Comment

• Obelix
        • Oct 2017
        • Perth, WA

So today was the day :-)
        The car is on 1/8th of the tank, and hasn't been started for 2 days.
        Started on the second revolution - very quick to pick up.

So I can proclaim the problem resolved with the in-tank filter.

Thank you very much Shawty - this would have been the last thing to check. A great find.

Comment

• Obelix
          • Oct 2017
          • Perth, WA

Originally posted by MickV View Post
          I followed Shawty's advice and had RACV change the in tank filter. They discovered a blue flaky material floating , clouding the fuel and coating the filter. Needed a full flush. Their suggestion is the flakes came from the inside lining of a metal gerry can, sprayed by manufacturers to slow corrosion, but it dissolves and comes away and fouls the fuel. Just crossed the nullarbor in it (NT) didn't miss a beat. Don't know if that's relevant to your situation.
          Thanks Mick - could just as well be - given the looks of that filter.
          Having said that - the fuel was extremely clean (visually).
          We'll see how quickly this one clogs up :-)

Comment

• Seigried
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2016
            • brisbane

Is the in tank filter meant to be washable? I remember it being written somewhere. Might have been on the za or uk forum.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• Obelix
              • Oct 2017
              • Perth, WA

Originally posted by Seigried View Post
              Is the in tank filter meant to be washable? I remember it being written somewhere. Might have been on the za or uk forum.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
              The filter itself is nothing special. I would say the purpose of it is to remove large particles.
              The granularity is like the one on a cheap plastic tea strainer. I'm sure it could be flushed under air or water pressure - the cost is only $36 (ebay from the US) - but yes this $ could be saved too.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X