Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Electrical / Radios

Electrical / Radios Discussion of electrical systems and accessories.

Old 14-12-17
Administrator

Default Marine Battery as Auxhillary

Purchased one of these http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Centur...um=retargeting
So is there any reason why these batteries with Platelock Technology would not be better as a second battery for accessories in a 4wd,. apparently they can handle a hammering. Century have a video out on You Tube that states these batteries are only for marine applications. Still has a 100 AH rating , maybe the technology in the battery can tell if it is not on the water or Century don't want us 4wders to cotton on they are a cheaper option for a deep cycle.
Dave
Old 14-12-17

I had the same battery in my Gen 2 Pajero and my recently departed 80 Series Landcruiser. Both were driven over some hard country and I never had a problem with the batteries. For a under bonnet install they are good value and pretty tough to boot.

James
Old 14-12-17
Valued Member

On advice of my battery supplier, I’ve been running a Century marine battery to run my fridge for several years without an issue. Aledgedly Century deep cycle and marine batteries are internally very similar or identical.?

rear locker | ARB bullbar | dual battery | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | HID Hella spotties | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | BFG AT's (on 17" NT rims) | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
Old 15-12-17
Valued Member

Maybe it's recommended as Marine only due to boats not always having the battery located near the engine which means less heat exposure for the battery when compared to a car/4wd which has the battery under the bonnet. for sure tho as I've not really looked at it closely.
Like others, Ive used Marine batteries as both main and aux batteries under the bonnet before without problems so see no reason you can't do it all other things being equal.
Old 15-12-17
Valued Member

+1 - running a Bosch Marine Aux battery under the bonnet for three years without issue

Cheers,
Stephen
Old 15-12-17
Administrator

Well I won't have to worry about heat as my aux battery set up is in the rear tub.
Thanks for the advice guys.
Dave
Old 15-12-17
Valued Member

Shorty has a century marine from memory. Only 1 batt in it so it's primary. Not sure how long it's been there for but I'd say about 1.5 to 2 years. All good so far.

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
Old 17-12-17
Valued Member

I think I jinxed it. Looks like the Century in Shorty died this morning!!

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
Old 21-12-17

Ran one for 3 years, no issues til it finally dropped a cell (age). Recently changed to the black version of it which is a '4WD' battery (as far as I can tell basically the same)
Fitted: Mickey T STZs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Premium Post Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Warn XD9000 Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.
Old 21-12-17
Valued Member

Moved my n70 marine battery to my car on drydocking the boat in 2010. Ended up buying new battery for the boat. Used it initially as main battery and then swapped to aux battery when dual battery system was installed. Bit the dust last year Battery supplier was gobsmaked when he saw 2007 Sticker on the battery and its many uses.

Think they are a 50/50 design and recharge quicker? than a deep cycle but obviously don't like deep discharge. Think it helped in its later role that the battery was supported with a 40w solar with 3 stage regulator when stopped for any length of time