Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bits and Pieces

Bits and Pieces Whatever does not fit into the other catergories.

Old 05-08-19
Valued Member

Default Caravan roll over Bruce Hwy

Bruce Hwy.

https://7news.com.au/news/accidents/...rning-c-384034
Old 05-08-19
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
Wow!

Very sobering. Looking at the roofline at the end, it's a miracle the occupants had only minor injuries.

Edit: to my inexperienced eye, it looks like a big van - so I went looking for some specs. It looks very much like a Kingdom Kensington Evo; a 2012 model I found reports an ATM of 2660 kg, a 2014 model reports ATM of 2480 kg.

My google search also led to a discussion forum post that a Kingdom van actual weight came in 400 kg above claimed tare. I wonder how actual weight compared to the Gen 3's towing limit? Did the owner know what he/she was towing?

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 05-08-19
Valued Member

Lucky escape for those involved. It could have been much worse considering the on coming traffic. Just shows how quickly it can all turn pear shape when the Laws of Physics take over.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 05-08-19

I haven't had my eyeballs calibrated lately, but they appeared to be travelling at a pretty good speed considering the pace at which they were overtaking the camera car.
Old 05-08-19
Valued Member

Speed, probably badly loaded with weight in the rear behind the van axles and then they hit the bow wave from the truck as they pass. There's a lot of videos on YouTube showing the same thing as they try to change lanes too soon after passing.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 05-08-19

Whilst in Queensland in July, I had lots of big caravans pass me while I was doing 100 gps corrected. I mean, there're on holidays, why not slow down a little, enjoy the trip and get to your campsite 15 mins later, (and save a bundle of fuel) and most importantly improve your chances of arriving.
Old 05-08-19

Would not be surprised if the caravan was not loaded correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-19
Valued Member

We came across a 4wd and caravan today laying on its side. All emergency services were in attendance. Dunno how it happened.
NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.
Old 05-08-19
Valued Member

For those that are interested there is a book that explains it all apparently.
https://www.rvbooks.com.au/page/cara...y-they-happen/

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 05-08-19
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
For those that are interested there is a book that explains it all apparently.
https://www.rvbooks.com.au/page/cara...y-they-happen/

OJ.
Hmmm.

Critical speed for a (poorly configured) combination my be well below 100km/h, but one of the prevention tips is "never exceed 100 km/h (especially when overtaking)". How does a 100km/h limit help if critical speed is well below 100km/h?

Critical speed is related to the ratio between towing vehicle mass and trailer mass, yet "With almost all locally-made caravans that speed is very close (or under) 100 km/h". A blanket statement making no caveats for caravan mass or tow vehicle mass? With the right towing vehicle, any van could have a much higher critical speed. With the wrong towing vehicle, any van could have a much lower critical speed. How can "... all locally-made caravans" have a critical speed "very close (or under) 100 km/h" if the mass of the towing vehicle is so important?

An overhung tow hitch increases down forces on the rear of the towing vehicle, which is "virtually a recipe for swaying", yet inadequate tow ball mass is also bad. So I need a shorter hitch to reduce down force on the towing vehicle, but a heavier tow ball mass to increase it?

And we wonder why your average punter can't get this right? One can only hope the book itself is clearer than the advertorial.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box