Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Body and Soul

Body and Soul Discussion about the chassis and body, paintwork, cabin fittings, air conditioning, etc.

Old 27-03-15

Default Corrosion

Hi, I'm just looking to buy a 2005 3.2DiD LWB. I viewed it today, runs well but has heavy corrosion on both rear wheel arches, hidden by the doors. I could pull pieces off if I wanted ! See attached pic. Is this a common problem ? More importantly is it an easy repair for a bodyshop or should I look out for another ? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2176.JPG (152.0 KB, 109 views)
Old 27-03-15
Valued Member

I doubt it is an easy fix - you would need to get a panel shop to inspect & quote on it.

More importantly, why is it like that? Is there any other corrosion, eg, under door seals, top frame on rear side doors, rear barn door under seal, underneath the car, etc? Could it have been driven on beaches or salted roads? Perhaps it had a rear accident & wasn't repaired properly?

I'd probably look at some other cars.
Old 27-03-15

unless it is really cheap don't bother move on.
if really cheap get it quoted from body shop and also inspected for other rust, if there is one area like that it will most certainly have others, and even then think really really hard is it worth it?
Old 27-03-15
Valued Member

Wow, no - pass it up. With that amount of rust visible you don't know what is there that can't be seen in other places at the moment. Could have spent it's life on the beach and not been cared for properly. Having had a few vehicles with rust problems over the years, I'd never consider buying something like that.

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 27-03-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHendo View Post
Wow, no - pass it up. With that amount of rust visible you don't know what is there that can't be seen in other places at the moment. Could have spent it's life on the beach and not been cared for properly. Having had a few vehicles with rust problems over the years, I'd never consider buying something like that.

Geoff
I have to agree with Geoff and everyone else. The type and extent of that rust is unusual for that area of a NP Pajero and I'd suggest that this isn't normal. It would be interesting to see some images of underneath around the chassis and suspension. This level of rust is just what you can see on the surface, there could be plenty more that you can't see in a vehicle that badly affected. I'd stay well clear, even if the price is really good.
NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.
Old 27-03-15
Valued Member

He's in Bulgaria which from memory they get a lot of snow, rust is most likely from road salts used to treat iced up roads. I'd say there's a lot of hidden underbody rust
Old 27-03-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Faulkner View Post
He's in Bulgaria which from memory they get a lot of snow, rust is most likely from road salts used to treat iced up roads. I'd say there's a lot of hidden underbody rust
Ha ha - I didn't see that Pauly

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.