Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Body and Soul

Body and Soul Discussion about the chassis and body, paintwork, cabin fittings, air conditioning, etc.

Old 25-07-12
Valued Member

Default Clay bars to clean paintwork

I had a free day today so decided to give the Paj a birthday.
Gave it a wash this morning and got stuck into it with a Mothers clay bar kit that I bought a few weeks ago whilst they were on sale at super-crap.
This is the first time that I have ever used clay bar and boy am I impressed.
The roof and some of the paintwork on the doors of our Paj always felt like sandpaper. Not anymore, the paint is as smooth as you would expect it to be as the car left the showroom!
My Paj is just the plain white colour and as I was spraying on the 'instant detailer' spray (which is clear like water) onto the roof and started rubbing the clay on the paintwork, I had brown / red muck going everywhere. I really couldn't believe how much crap was stuck in the paintwork and how easily this system cleaned it all up.
As some of you will be aware the whole left side of my Paj and the bonnet was re-sprayed not even 6 months ago after my wifes little off-road mishap and the claybar was even taking crap off of these freshly painted sections!
A quick polish afterwards using the orbital buffer and the Paj is looking extremely shiny now
If your paint is feeling a bit rough, get out there, buy a clay bar kit and get stuck into it. You will be impressed with the results.....
Cheers, Dan.
2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!
Old 25-07-12

Thanks Dan,

My Paj copped a dose of ambient overspray, and I've wondered how well the clay bars work, now just to find the time

Sabre
Old 25-07-12
Valued Member

Go for it Sabre.
They are supposed to take off over-spray.
This is the kit that I used:
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...74#Description

It worked VERY well......
Cheers, Dan.
2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!
Old 25-07-12
Valued Member

Save your $$$ - buy your clay bars from ebay....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160g-Magi...item1c1d1503ec

make up your own lubricant spray with some mild detergent and water..
Old 25-07-12
Valued Member

Thanks MSF.
Might give one of those a go next time I need to purchase. For the price its worth a shot.
I did read that you can simply mix a bit of car wash with water in a spray bottle to use when clay'ing your car.
Cheers, Dan.
Old 25-07-12
Valued Member

No problems,
I use to buy the retail packs all the time and a mate of mine who is a detailer put me onto the ebay/china ones. - they are around twice the size too (150-160g versus 80-100g), so much easier to work with.

It's a bit of trial & error to get the lubricant mix just right, so start off with about 500ml of water and add detergent until it's perfect... - I found about 20-25ml per 500ml worked pretty well, but it depends on the detergent you use,

If you find it doesn't work as well as you'd hoped, then you can always *just* buy the retail "quik detailer" from Meguairs for about $17-$18
Old 25-07-12
Valued Member

^^^
Awesome, thankyou!
Old 25-07-12

Good advice MSF

And Aussie Dan, I agree. I did mine not that long ago. I went one step further and waxed her after a polish. The finish product is impressive!

...Now the old man has lined me up to do his.
Old 26-07-12
Valued Member

Might have to give it a go one of these days.. they difficult? can you do anything to bugger it up?

The very clean Paj has earned me a bit of a reputation up here... maybe the clay bar will take it up another notch of awesome cleanliness

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
Old 26-07-12
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex86 View Post
Might have to give it a go one of these days.. they difficult? can you do anything to bugger it up?

The very clean Paj has earned me a bit of a reputation up here... maybe the clay bar will take it up another notch of awesome cleanliness
It is very easy Alex. Take a look on Youtube, there are heaps of videos on how to do it.
Here is one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvtVbqywxYs
Wash your car and dry it.
Make sure you keep the surface that you are working on nice and wet with the detailer spray or water / detergent lubricant.
Continually fold and re-knead the clay as you move from section to section.
If you drop the clay on the ground, throw it in the bin as it will have picked up dirt and will scratch the crap out of your paint.
Give the car a nice polish / wax afterwards and it will be looking good as new.
My Paj had a lot of staining on the paint that looked like dried water spots but would not polish out. The clay bar treatment appears to have removed all of those marks. Gotta be happy with that.
Cheers, Dan.