Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 26-03-12

Default Rattle in roof or dash in my NH paj

Gday guys,

Misses bought a NH paj not long ago, And when ya in strong wind or traverling over 100kolms a hour there seems to be a rattle in roof lining or dash,

the sunroof is U/S on it so i siliconed it up and it has made the rattle less, But its still there

Any ides on what it would be???
Old 26-03-12

aaah, those sunroof/moonroof mechanisms...

the amount of trouble you would have to go to if you wanted to get to the cord/cable that drives these things is not worth tackling alone, get it done by a mechanic who is familiar with them. even if you were to go so far as to drop the roof assembly out to work on it, it takes two people who like working upside down - mine jammed partly open a few years back as a result of lack of maintenance and it was an absolute moungrel just getting to the two tabs that push/pull the glass section, one of which had bent under the strain of poor lubrication and lots of dirt/sand in the tracks

either that or just put up with the rattle!
Old 26-03-12
Valued Member

Go on a remote stretch of road and ask your passenger to stick his head out of the windo to hear if the noise is in fact coming from the outside (roof,wipers,etc.) and not from the inside.
I was goind mad with my roof rack that started to make weird noises between 80 and 90k's.
Took me 3 days to find a little twig stuck in a mount that bounced in wind.
Once you can locate the source of the noise it will get much easier.
Especially with sunroofs you have to be aware of air being sucked out too.
You said it is siliconed in but have you checked it from the inside too for loose parts?
If air gets sucked thrugh a tiny hole in the sunroff it can make the weirdest noises from a slight whitle to scratching nosies.
Old 26-03-12

how do
i would try the trim around the windscreen, i have the same problem on ours (nh/nj), had the windscreen resealed as it was leaking, since then when you get up to 100kmh you get the odd rattle also depends on wich way the wind is blowing, will find the time to sort it out one day
Old 26-03-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB ANDY View Post
how do
i would try the trim around the windscreen, i have the same problem on ours (nh/nj), had the windscreen resealed as it was leaking, since then when you get up to 100kmh you get the odd rattle also depends on wich way the wind is blowing, will find the time to sort it out one day

yeah sounds the same as the rattle i have
Old 26-03-12

I had the same thing. Silicone around the windsceen and rattle should disappear. Mine used to start around 80km and it gave me the s*#ts.
Old 27-03-12

Thanks mate I'll try that later today
Old 27-03-12

The top of the sound insulation on the fire wall used to vibrate on mine until I threaded some fine wire around the edge.
Cheers
Old 27-03-12

Get some tape put around the windscreen and any other part that may be the problem, then you can remove the tape and fix better or just leave the tape on.
Rick