Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 30-04-11

Default How effective is the Rear LSD when offroad?

G'Day all,

Just wondering from all you off road 'nuts', how effective is the standard Pajero NM Rear LSD when in off road situations, and hill climbs etc...

I'll be doing a bit of 4x4ing soon, just wondering how good the LSD is so I know whether I'll need a locker or not.

Cheers

ARB Bullbar - 2" Lifted HD Lovells/Billies - Driving Lights - Upgraded Headlights - Custom Storage/Bed System & Curtains - 75L Fridge/Freezer - Dual Batts - Remote Head UHF - Engine Temperature Gauge/Alarm - 2.5m Awning - Cooper 265/75R16 AT3's on 16x7 BLAACK sunny's - TJM Air Compressor - Kenwood Stereo & Sub - Factory Roof Racks & Tow Bar - and a VERY long wish list!

Coming Soon (hopefully): Winch & Snorkel
Old 30-04-11
Resident

Mitsubishi LSDs are pretty good. The NM has a Torsen style, so no clutch packs to wear out. However, it can become a "free spinner" if one wheel is off the ground, which is when a few clicks on the handbrake can load up the spinning wheel and allow the Torsen to transfer more torque to the grounded wheel.

If you're going to buy a locker, and don't have traction control, put a locker in the front first.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 30-04-11
Valued Member

Send a message via Skype™ to steveandviv

I'm with NJ SWB. We have the locker up front and it's magic..

That reminds me, better change the RHF CV - click - click - click
2000 NM Paj - 2.5 Inch Lift - 81 Long Range tank - UHF - Rhino Rack - Dual Batteries - Hella 4000 Spotties - ARB Bar - Cargo Barrier - Custom Shelves - GPS Screen - Garmin GPS - Snorkle - Ox TJM Winch - MT MTZ - Polly Bags - Front ARB Locker - 50&60ltr Waeco....http://www.steveandviv.blogspot.com/
Old 30-04-11
Valued Member

Send a message via MSN to peter92 Send a message via Skype™ to peter92

lsd,s are good, but wish i had a front locker
depends on where you go as to how much money you want to spend. ive always got away with out needing one. i know where i can go and where i cant
if you have the money i would get one
regards peter
SKYPE NAME possum.58
Old 30-04-11
Administrator

Agree the rear LSD is a beauty with the ARB air locker up front it will just about go anywhere..

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals
Old 01-05-11
Valued Member

The other neat thing with the Torsen LSD is they have no friction plates or cones to wear out like the Toyotas are quite prone to.
Old 01-05-11
Valued Member

Now this thread has got me thinking...... wouldn't it be a good thing to put the rear torsen diff out of a NM, into my NP with traction control? I'm thinking that the NP wouldn't have the torsen because it has traction control. Surely the combination of torsen & TC would be better than TC alone?

Thoughts?
Old 01-05-11
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotare View Post
Now this thread has got me thinking...... wouldn't it be a good thing to put the rear torsen diff out of a NM, into my NP with traction control? I'm thinking that the NP wouldn't have the torsen because it has traction control. Surely the combination of torsen & TC would be better than TC alone?

Thoughts?
Yeah, but if you were going to go to that much trouble (as in dismantle it) you may as well put a factory locker in out of an NS or NT wreck.
Old 01-05-11
Valued Member

Quote:
Yeah, but if you were going to go to that much trouble (as in dismantle it) you may as well put a factory locker in out of an NS or NT wreck.
I guess it would all come down to how much it would cost to source a torsen diff versus a locker. The disassembly / assembly part of it is not an issue for me.
Old 01-05-11
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotare View Post
I guess it would all come down to how much it would cost to source a torsen diff versus a locker. The disassembly / assembly part of it is not an issue for me.
Personally, I'd still lean towards the LSD - unless the factory locker is a hybrid? I like that my LSD is "always on", so I don't need to worry about "should I have it on or off?" as I'm driving tracks. I remember following another shorty with bigger & better tyres (33" BFG Muds vs 31" S/Ts) and a rear diff lock. A few places he was stopped and had to hit the diff-lock, where my LSD just pushed me through.

Now, I generally try it first, and hit the front diff-lock if I don't make it. I rarely use it, but I'm very happy that I have it.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box