• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tripod_12
    • Apr 2018
    • Port Neill

Intercooler

My first post, so be gentle on me.!!
    I have a 2014 GLX-R and according to my Ultraguage my intake temperature is always around 12 - 15 degrees above ambient temp. ie 30 degree day my intake is 42 - 45 degrees. I also have a BMW X5 3.0d which the intake temp is always cooler than the ambient temp; 30 degree day intake temp 18 - 22 degrees. My question; is my intercooler on the Paj working? How does mine compare with other forum owners?
    Thanks in anticipation. Dene
  • 4ndy
    • Jun 2018
    • North West United Kingdom

Sounds like your Paj is working perfectly and your X5 is defying the laws of physics! (She cannae take it Jim!).
    MY13 (NW) SG2 LWB

Foot Rest, Android Head Unit, EGR Resistor Mod (10k), "Car Shades", Other Stuff in Process....
    My Build Thread.

Comment

• Keithyv
      Valued Member
      • May 2018
      • Perth

Yes difficult to fathom how temperatures after the intercooler can be below ambient..
      The Pajero stock intercooler is probably not the best but it's better than nothing...
      2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by 4ndy View Post
        Sounds like your Paj is working perfectly and your X5 is defying the laws of physics!
        I'm inclined to agree - how is your X5 cooling the compressed air charge to below ambient? Does the intercooler use water?

I'm currently running my Paj without the intercooler bash plate, and seeing (around town) temps of between 10 & 15 degrees above ambient. With a Bushskinz bash plate, cruising at 100km/h, I'm lucky to see below 20 degrees above ambient. With a dirty / dusty intercooler, bash plate, 100+ km/h, it's not unusual to see 30 degrees above ambient.

Edit: I wonder if the X5 is reporting "above ambient" temperature?
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• tripod_12
          • Apr 2018
          • Port Neill

Intercooler

Thanks for your replies, it appears my Pajero intercooler is working ok. I have blown out the dust to make sure it wasn't blocked and was beginning to wonder if there wasn't some other issues with it.
          I probably shouldn't compared it with the X5 which has a considerably larger and deeper intercooler and maybe the twin turbos also make a difference.?
          Your input is greatly appreciated.
          Dene

Comment

• Racer17
            • Apr 2015
            • Rockhampton

I think what the respondents above are getting at is that an air to air intercooler can only cool the internal air to ambient temperature at the absolute most.
            The ambient air is used to cool the 'hot' air within the intercooler.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X