• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NTBenny
    • May 2017
    • Newcastle

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
    Getting the correct airflow is not just a matter of more holes in your bash plate!

You want smooth airflow with little turbulence going to the face of the heat exchangers, shrouds and air deflectors may be required. Air will take the less path of resistance and an open sided bash plate whilst offering protection and cheaper manufacturing costs, does not promote good clean airflow.

Most designers and manufacturers of bash plates do not have an engineering degree or even an advanced understand of aerodynamic principles. Start talking about positive and negative pressure, static and dynamic pressures, boundary layers, laminar flow, induced turbulence, aerodynamic drag, convergent and divergent ducts, venturi effect or standard wave ratios, and they glazed over, like you are from another planet.

OJ.
    As usual it sounds like you might be able to add some valuable input on this subject OJ. Have you considered any other options?

Benny.
    2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• MELONHEAD
      • Apr 2010
      • Curlewis NSW

What about a simple water sprayer setup to mist water over the intercooler core. Could be as simple as a windscreen washer pump and reservoir (or complete washer bottle + pump assembly) activated by a toggle switch in the dash misting water through garden misting nozzles, to a full blown automatic setup that triggers when a pre set intake air temp is reached with quality pump and misting nozzles. I had a water misting setup on the intercooler of my VL Turbo Commodore in my younger days that was triggered to fire at a preset boost level. I found it very effective at lowering intake temps and thus reducing detonation.
      2010 NT RX diesel manual, bushskinz intercooler + sump guards, factory alloy bulbar, GME TX3400 UHF, Donaldson secondary fuel filter, Bilstein/Kings/Polyair lift, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/17.
      1998 NL GLS V6 auto LWB with ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, ALDI 9500lb winch, ARB onboard compressor, Hankook Dynapro AT/M 265/70/16s.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by MELONHEAD View Post
        What about a simple water sprayer setup to mist water over the intercooler core. Could be as simple as a windscreen washer pump and reservoir (or complete washer bottle + pump assembly) activated by a toggle switch in the dash misting water through garden misting nozzles, to a full blown automatic setup that triggers when a pre set intake air temp is reached with quality pump and misting nozzles. I had a water misting setup on the intercooler of my VL Turbo Commodore in my younger days that was triggered to fire at a preset boost level. I found it very effective at lowering intake temps and thus reducing detonation.
        Yes this is an option for a road car which is very effective as long as your water supply lasts, but what happens off the bitumen when on a dusty road. You can see the amount of fine dust that gets in the engine bay so would the dust combined with the water mist for mud and block the air channels of the intercooler.

Mods I am thinking of are easy, simple and cheap. If I can improve ram airflow, keep the intercooler clean and force more air through the intercooler then temperatures will come down. When travelling with Pajero's fitted with Bushskinz intercooler plates and traversing deep soft sand, there is a buildup of sand in front of the intercooler which results in inlet temps rising quickly. My plan is similar to the mods I did on my Challenger, cover all the air vents up on the intercooler plate and fit side gussets but also looking at putting 10mm to 15mm spacers under the front attachments to create a ram air slot.

Will test and report back.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• MELONHEAD
          • Apr 2010
          • Curlewis NSW

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          Yes this is an option for a road car which is very effective as long as your water supply lasts, but what happens off the bitumen when on a dusty road. You can see the amount of fine dust that gets in the engine bay so would the dust combined with the water mist for mud and block the air channels of the intercooler.
          OJ.
          You are right there Old Jack. I did not think about that I must admit. I am thinking about my driving which is mostly on the blacktop, which I suggest the majority of Pajero owners spend most of their time. If this was the case, water sprayers would still represent a viable and cheap option.
          2010 NT RX diesel manual, bushskinz intercooler + sump guards, factory alloy bulbar, GME TX3400 UHF, Donaldson secondary fuel filter, Bilstein/Kings/Polyair lift, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/17.
          1998 NL GLS V6 auto LWB with ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, ALDI 9500lb winch, ARB onboard compressor, Hankook Dynapro AT/M 265/70/16s.

Comment

• Kingbrown
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2012
            • Port Augusta - SA

OJ,

I've added gussets/flaps to seal the sides of the Bushskinz on my Challenger.

Easy to fix a flap of rubber to the chassis rail with a few spots of silicon.

Added benefit of the flaps is that they keep splashes of mud and crud out of the intercooler & radiator.
            2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X