• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ashes
    • May 2011
    • Southwest WA

HELP - How do I get rid of this smell

Long story short is; 1kg of chicken mince (pet food) was left in my car at 45 degrees + for 6 days. Don't get me started on why.
    Bottom line is that my car smells like someone has died in it. So far I have tried vanilla essence, steam cleaning, bi carb soda, carpet deodorizer's and little green trees.
    Pretty annoyed seen as though theres nothing else wrong with the car. I'm thinking about trading it in because the smell is just unbearable
    And I live in the Pilbara away from any fancy car detailing places and won't be going to Perth any time soon.
    Solutions?
    Thanks in advance.
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

I sympathise with you. A similar thing happended to a mates ute in Darwin a few years ago when it was "borrowed" for a trip to Katherine. It was parked in the Katherine police compound for a week with a meat tray in the glove box. The only way he got rid of the smell was to replace all the upholstery as nothing would shift it..
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Coopspop
      • May 2012
      • Ipswich, Qld

Long shot, but thereis a product called nil odour. Coles or woollies should have it if u got one nearby.

Comment

• scruffy
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2012
        • Caboolture

Originally posted by Coopspop View Post
        Long shot, but thereis a product called nil odour. Coles or woollies should have it if u got one nearby.
        X 2, works a treat.
        98 NL GLS 3500. Now with a Bocar bullbar and 265/75/16 tyres. Waiting for a snorkel and UHF.
        Now with 7" HID

Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get. Alcohol is a preservative isnt it?

Comment

• mmannion
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Birth place of QLD

Try plenty of white vinegar.
          02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee

Comment

• schnitzel
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2009
            • Bendigo

yu will have to take all the carpets and seats out, pressure wash them at your handy car wash, wipe down all interior surfaces with nil odor and reassemble.

do not leave seats and carpet in the sun to dry, need to be dried over a couple of days out of sunlight or they shrink.
            Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Peakhurst, Sydney

Try steam-cleaning all the fabrics in your vehicle (carpet seats & roof-liner) with deodoriser in the water, concentrating on 'ground-zero', but watch that area doesn't get too hot. All Woolies stores rent them out to do carpets, if you can't borrow one.
              Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
              "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2012
                • Maitland, NSW

Watered down Vinegar for cleaning the fabrics and leave door open all day to air dry and repeat as many times until smell dulls down.
                Get a product called vanillin fresh from the cleaning isle in the supermarket(next to dishwash and shower clean products) it's a vanillin ethanol sanitizer. Soak the fabrics and wipe down all the trims etc. Turn air on recycle and spray down under the glove box so it goes right through the vents.
                Being in chicken food process industry as a cleaner, machine operator and meat worker i can honestly tell you, cloak the smell all you want but it will stay until the bacteria has died off!
                You pretty much need an alcohol or food grade sanitizer which vanillin fresh is both.
                97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
                97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• gerhard
                  • Dec 2012
                  • Perth Australia

Had a chest freezer that had a "dead smell" after motor failed years ago. Only thing that worked was charcoal. Google it and see!!!!!!!

Comment

• Dusco
                    • Nov 2012
                    • Bairnsdale 3875

This is too easy

Step 1. Find a Labrador. Any Labrador.
                    Step 2. Wet the Labrador with a bath (treats required) or throw a stick or Ball into a River(no treat required).
                    Step 3. Place wet Labrador in the Back of the Pajero (no treat will be required).
                    Step 4. After 30 Minute drive(drive very important) Remove semi dry Labrador.

Now Pajero will smell of Wet Lab, Usually good for 6 months+

repeat when required.
                    04 GLS NP 3.2 AUTO Diesel, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, 81L Aux Tank, UHF Roof Console, Alloy Bull Bar, Lovell 36mm Nitro Gas Shocks, Lovell HD 50mm Lift, Rear Poly Air Bags, 265/75/16 Falken Wildpeaks, 65L Waeco CFX Fridge/Freezer, Kings Rooftop Tent.

Comment

• Ashes
                      • May 2011
                      • Southwest WA

Thanks for all your suggestions. I already own a German Shepherd so the dog smell is easy to get in the car haha.
                      Cheers. I'll give a few of those things a go. If not.....who knows.

Comment

• craka
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Newcastle (Newie)

What ever you use I'd imagine it would need to have an anti bacterial agent, as it's bacteria that smells.
                        NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                          • May 2009
                          • Perth

IIRC, mythbusters couldn't rid the smell of a pig carcass locked in a car for 3 months.......
                          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Nik
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2010
                            • Perth

Looks like you'll have to buy a new paj
                            2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

• Nik
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2010
                              • Perth

Originally posted by Dusco View Post
                              This is too easy

Step 1. Find a Labrador. Any Labrador.
                              Step 2. Wet the Labrador with a bath (treats required) or throw a stick or Ball into a River(no treat required).
                              Step 3. Place wet Labrador in the Back of the Pajero (no treat will be required).
                              Step 4. After 30 Minute drive(drive very important) Remove semi dry Labrador.

Now Pajero will smell of Wet Lab, Usually good for 6 months+

repeat when required.
                              Love it - so true
                              2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X