Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Any remote control ceiling fans with light "auto on"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Any remote control ceiling fans with light "auto on"?

Off topic I realise (hence in this subforum). Can't find the answer from extensive googling either.

Is anybody aware of any AC ceiling fans that are both (A) remote-controlled and (B) have a light, which have an "Auto On" for the light"?

What i mean is that when you walk into the room at night and turn ON the existing wall light switch (now isolator switch), the light comes on because the fan unit has power and the light defaults to ON? And then once you're in bed you can use the remote to turn the fan on and off, and then presumably still turn the light off and back on also.

I've tried calling 3 online stores except they all use the same support bloke and he told me it comes down to the wiring by the electrician, whereas I wouldve thought the unit needs this functionality by design. He did helpfully suggest that you could wire it so the light is controlled by the wall switch, but the problem is that (A) the remote would no longer control the light, and (B) i'd need a second switch to isolate the fan.

Any electricians or fan experts know?
  • mr_bosman
    • Oct 2014
    • Warrnambool

Our ceiling fans work like this, not sure of he brand but they were purchased through a bricks and mortar store.
    Will see if I can find the model.
    2012 NW Platinum Auto 3.2DiD, Colour Ironbark, with lots of other bits .......
    http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=42467

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
      Valued Member
      • May 2017
      • Sydney

Originally posted by mr_bosman View Post
      Our ceiling fans work like this, not sure of he brand but they were purchased through a bricks and mortar store.

Will see if I can find the model.

Thanks mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• podilamaya
        • Nov 2012
        • Melbourne

Check for the ceiling fan sold by Aldi, It does what you want. I have six of them and love it.
        Aldi source it from Brilliant lights.
        it is same like ( https://www.brilliantlighting.com.au...mpestdc-light/)
        NS Pajero Exceed V6, impco LPG, 7" HID, 23" LED Light bar, Uniden UH7760NB, GME AE4081K3, Azentek Smart Mirror GPS, Android 4.2.2 Headset, Extnix DVD Head-rest DVD, Projecta dual battery, V-checker OBD II

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Is there any reason for wanting AC fans?
          AC fans can use up to 3x the power of a DC fan for the same airflow and are generally noisier, but the purchase price on DC fans is greater than AC fans.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
            Valued Member
            • May 2017
            • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            Is there any reason for wanting AC fans?
            AC fans can use up to 3x the power of a DC fan for the same airflow and are generally noisier, but the purchase price on DC fans is greater than AC fans.

OJ.

Purely cost mate, it would be around $400-450 for AC and over $900 for DC by my reckoning. I need 3 of them for 3 bedrooms. Trying to save some money to put air-con in the lounge room sooner.

Comment

• mr_bosman
              • Oct 2014
              • Warrnambool

Fans made by Mercator using the RF remote control

So any of the Mercator RF remote fans can be set to either have light on or off via the mains switch when powered on. (SWITCH ON THE RF RECIEVER TO SELECT DEFAULT).

You can also purchase the remote kit to convert most ceiling fans to remote control.

Last edited by mr_bosman; 17-01-19, 12:52 PM.
              2012 NW Platinum Auto 3.2DiD, Colour Ironbark, with lots of other bits .......
              http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=42467

Comment

• podilamaya
                • Nov 2012
                • Melbourne

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
                Purely cost mate, it would be around $400-450 for AC and over $900 for DC by my reckoning. I need 3 of them for 3 bedrooms. Trying to save some money to put air-con in the lounge room sooner.
                I don't DC fans are that much expensive, unless fancy designer fan or other reason. these guys sell around 269$ for DC Fan (https://www.beaconlighting.com.au/ba...light-in-white). ALDI sold fans around 150$ or less, if you can wait they will come to ALDI next year as well.
                NS Pajero Exceed V6, impco LPG, 7" HID, 23" LED Light bar, Uniden UH7760NB, GME AE4081K3, Azentek Smart Mirror GPS, Android 4.2.2 Headset, Extnix DVD Head-rest DVD, Projecta dual battery, V-checker OBD II

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

As a nice distraction, I did a little research.

Proponents of DC fans suggest they'll save anywhere between 30W and 80W when running at max, compared to an AC fan. At lower speeds, I expect the savings will be less.

So, let's work with the 80W figure. To make the numbers easier, lets look at 1000 hours of use - 100 nights at 10 hours, which could be about a year's worth of use. That's 80kWh, which costs me a little under 40c per kWh. Best case, $32 per 1000 hours of use - probably if you're comparing a cheap AC fan with a top end DC fan.

How often do you run your fan on max? If you're closer to the 30W saving, 30kWh will save you more like $12 per 1000 hours. How many hours will it take before you're in front?
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                    As a nice distraction, I did a little research.

Proponents of DC fans suggest they'll save anywhere between 30W and 80W when running at max, compared to an AC fan. At lower speeds, I expect the savings will be less.

So, let's work with the 80W figure. To make the numbers easier, lets look at 1000 hours of use - 100 nights at 10 hours, which could be about a year's worth of use. That's 80kWh, which costs me a little under 40c per kWh. Best case, $32 per 1000 hours of use - probably if you're comparing a cheap AC fan with a top end DC fan.

How often do you run your fan on max? If you're closer to the 30W saving, 30kWh will save you more like $12 per 1000 hours. How many hours will it take before you're in front?

All depends where you live I suppose. Here in Cairns we have 5 of our fans on 24/7. Winter and summer. I am on a 44 cent tariff for my 5 Kw solar set up so I havent had a bill for 7 years. Tariff runs out in 2028....Love it!!!
                    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• geopaj
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Adelaide

I would talk to the sparky who will be installing them - my understanding is that most (if not all) can be wired so that the light can be switched using the supplied remote, or the existing hard mounted switch - well, the ones that I’ve helped install have been like this.
                      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Nab
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2012
                        • Perth

This issue with hardwiring the light is that when you turn on the light at the wall, you can’t turn it off by the remote, if that affects you.

Remember, remote fans still need an isolator switch, hence why heavypizzas’ idea on the “auto on” light is a good one.
                        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X