• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scott84
    • Jul 2017
    • Brisbane

Will these tyres fit?

Hi everyone... first time posting so be gentle.

I recently bought a MY15 NX Pajero which so far I am very happy with. I am looking to put some new tyres on it and have the opportunity to get a good deal on some Cooper S/T Maxx tyres - however they are 275/65R18 and my NX has not yet had any suspension upgrades or lifted at all. Has anyone fitted this size of tyre to a standard NX/NW and is it possible without the tyres rubbing etc?

Tyre shops cannot answer confidently, but from my own calculations the tyres should be an extra 20mm radius (40mm diameter) and from my measurements taken last night it looks like I have 30mm of clearance on the front guard at full lock - so in theory I should have 10mm to spare... but just wondering whether anyone has tried it and could confirm?

Also worth noting the tyres are at about 50% tread, so this presumably will make them more likely to fit.

Cheers.
  • 06PAJ
    • May 2017
    • Brissy

Running similar size but 285 with 2" lift and have rubbage on full lock

Its worn through in a few spots on plastic guards but nothing too ectreme

Great size for floating on the sand when beach driving
    2006 NS V6 EXCEED - SOLD
    2014 NW 3.2L VRX
    Wetseat Covers, Kings 9" LED driving lights

Comment

• Kumabear
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2013
      • Sydney, Macarther Region

You have to keep in mind that you may have 30mm sitting flat on level ground, but this will not be the case when you are on uneven ground.

They might be ok just when on road but once off road you might find they rub sometimes.

From what I have read 820 OD is the max you can go and not really have issues with rubbing.

I think the only tire I could find in that size was from maxis in a 275/70/17 which is 816mm OD but a very hard to find and expensive size.

The 265/65/18 would probably be your best bet
      2011 MY12 NW Pajero GL (White)

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Scott, have you considered the implications of increasing the tyre diameter in regards to the spare tyre carrier? They need modifying with any increase in tyre diameter or width.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Kumabear
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2013

265/70/17 size or 265/65/18 wont require any modification of the spare carrier I have a brand new chunky 265/70/17 mud tire in mine and it fits with room to spare.

Your mileage may vary if you have either the spare tire lift kit for towing or you have the plastic cover piece that covers the top of or fully encloses the entire tire in which case probably best to test fit it first and see.

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Kumabear View Post
            265/70/17 size or 265/65/18 wont require any modification of the spare carrier I have a brand new chunky 265/70/17 mud tire in mine and it fits with room to spare.

Your mileage may vary if you have either the spare tire lift kit for towing or you have the plastic cover piece that covers the top of or fully encloses the entire tire in which case probably best to test fit it first and see.

Think you made a mistake with that statement mate...
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Scott84
              • Jul 2017
              • Brisbane

Thanks for all the responses guys... I had thought about the implications for the spare wheel carrier, it doesn't have the lift kit for towing but being the NX it does have the cover over the top... seems like the 275/65s might be too big, I am going to take a look at them this week and the seller has said we can try and do a test fit before I buy - I might have to check the spare wheel carrier fitment at the same time... otherwise it might be time to look for some 265/65s instead.

Kumabear, regarding the 30mm on flat versus off road, the main clearance issue seems to be front to back (not at the top), particularly the clearance at the front of the wheel well. Presumably off-road versus flat ground is only going to affect travel of the wheel/tyre up and down, not forward and backward..?

Thanks everyone... and by all means if anyone else has experience with the NX and bigger tyres please add to the thread. Cheers.

Comment

• cannonsjs
                • Mar 2014
                • Melbourne

I've got LT275/65r18 Kumho AT51 on my NX Pajero. They didn't scrub at all with the stock suspension. I have the spare lift kit and the plastic surround needed to be cut to allow the spare to fit.
                The Cooper S/T Maxx you mentioned are more aggressive than the Kuhmo's and may have a larger diameter.
                Last edited by cannonsjs; 12-07-17, 11:03 AM. Reason: .
                2016 NX Pajero GLX - Bushkinz Bash Plates, 50mm Ultimate Suspension Lift, Uniden 8050S, Projecta Dual Battery Kit, Kuhmo AT51
                2014 PC Challenger Base - Bushskinz & MM Bash Plates, Uniden 8050S, Projecta Dual Battery Kit, Falken Wildpeak AT02

Comment

• Scott84
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Brisbane

Thanks for the info - when you say the plastic surround needed to be cut, how drastically cut? Did the whole top of the surround need to be removed, or was it just some trimming of the internal plastic?

Cheers, Scott

Comment

• cannonsjs
                    • Mar 2014
                    • Melbourne

Yes, the whole top of the surround needs to be removed, then you need to enlarge the hole in the top of the main plastic bit so the larger tyre will fit.
                    2016 NX Pajero GLX - Bushkinz Bash Plates, 50mm Ultimate Suspension Lift, Uniden 8050S, Projecta Dual Battery Kit, Kuhmo AT51
                    2014 PC Challenger Base - Bushskinz & MM Bash Plates, Uniden 8050S, Projecta Dual Battery Kit, Falken Wildpeak AT02

Comment

• Scott84
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Brisbane

Thank you, do you have any pictures of the cut/modified spare wheel cover..?

Comment

• Kumabear
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2013

hmm do all the NX have the cover over the top? I swear I have seen some on yards that have the new style rear but top and bottom of tire is uncovered.

Wishlist:

Comment

• cannonsjs
                          • Mar 2014
                          • Melbourne

Yes, they all come with the cover over the top, but most people fit the tyre lift kit so it needs to be removed.

Here's my trimmed wheel cover Scott.

Comment

• Scott84
                            • Jul 2017
                            • Brisbane

Just a quick update, the tyres fit well and do not scrub... thank you everyone for the replies

Comment

• marco888
                              • Jun 2016
                              • nsw

Originally posted by Scott84 View Post
                              Just a quick update, the tyres fit well and do not scrub... thank you everyone for the replies
                              hi Scott

Do you mean you fit

BFG ko2 275/65/18 ?

what is the price for tyres? 4 set? or 5 set?

cheers
                              MY16 GLS PAJERO-NON-DPF-MODEL

Safari snorkel, Nudge bar, Narva driving lights, SPVi unit, TP XP 3'' exhaust, P200 catch can, KN filter, OME 2'' lift, Rola roof racks, 2*2.5 awning,UNIDEN UFH9000, BOOS BASH PLATE 3 set,17'' factory Alloy, wrapped with OPATII,

Enjoy driving Enjoy touring Enjoy your life...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X