• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lledwod
    • Mar 2019
    • Dawson City YT

New to me 1993 Pajero

Hi there from the Yukon in Canada. I hope I am not out of place here I got this 1993 with the 2.8 diesel. It was imported from Japan, and currently has 174 000 km's. The vehicle was given to me, apparently it needs a head gasket. I've turned the motor over by hand, it turns easily with no indication of compression. I pulled the valve cover, the timing chain is in place and turns the cam. This is as far as I have got.

Is it worth digging into? (I know only I can answer that for myself! Just looking for opinions)

Worth noting, the car has sat untouched for about 3 years.

I have been maintaining my own vehicles, mostly Toyota's, for about 20 years, including rebuilding 4 engines. How-ever I have no diesel experience.

I have ordered a repair manual.

Now where do I start ....

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jonathan

[IMG][/IMG]
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

Welcome to the forum. They let Americans on here, so I think you're safe! Must be getting balmy warm into the single minus digits now there in the far north that you're in.

It does seem weird that you have no compression at all in any cylinder, surely the whole head gasket can't blow. Still, regardless of what you do you'll have to pull the head off, so I would think the easiest bet now would be to remove head and see what is happening in there. All else fails you could put another engine in and still be ahead I would think

Comment

• christopher
      • Mar 2012
      • Chidlow W.A.

While I had a 1993 Pajero it was petrol, however it did last for ages.

If this link works it may help you while waiting for your repair manual, just look at the Pajero section under 1993 to 1998

2011 3.2 DID Pajero NT GLS Auto O/L Premium Steel Bullbar, Towbar, Redarc electric Brake controller, Graphite Tint Windows, Wireless Rear Camera low mount for easy float connection

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

As above, I cannot explain why the engine turns over so easily. If the head gasket was blown or the head was cracked, I would still expect some compression in other pistons. Possibly all the pistons are broken? It is expensive to buy gaskets etc for these engines, so it may cheaper to buy another engine. As for which engine from a later model would fit, I cannot say, but it would probably depend on the transmission (auto or manual). The 2.8 diesel was used until late 2000 in the NM series Pajero (Montero in the US). www.rockauto.com may be a good source for general parts, but the Montero for the US was petrol only (no diesel). There were several different manual transmissions over the years and certainly on later model 3.2 diesel engines, the starter motor is on opposite sides of the engine so transmission or engine swap has to match up properly.

Comment

• Dongskie2
          • Dec 2016
          • Manila & Berwick

Welcome to the Forum!
          Nothing beats Doing It Yourself.... Tuned 4M40 and 4D56T WIP

Comment

• lledwod
            • Mar 2019
            • Dawson City YT

I am leaning more towards reviving this truck. It looks to be in good shape. I am just afraid that it could turn into a money pit. How-ever, it looks like all the major engine parts are pretty reasonable to buy, accept for the injection pump. I found this kit on eBay, apparently Japanese and American parts.

I will pull the head, I may wait for the repair manual though. I will have to see if the local machine shop is comfortable doing the work on the block (if it turns out it needs it) Replacing the engine may not be an option, I suspect it is pretty scarce on this continent!

Comment

• disco stu
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2018
              • Wollongong

I gather from my reading that most injection pump issues on these is down to seals, and quite an easy repair in contrast to many others. I have no idea about the different mitsubishi diesels though, so I could be wrong

Comment

• disco stu
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Wollongong

It looks like Fuso trucks used the same engine, so they might be available from those in north america/Canada also....if you have those over there

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                  It looks like Fuso trucks used the same engine, so they might be available from those in north america/Canada also....if you have those over there
                  I spent some time looking at exactly the same thing!

As best I can tell, the Fuso trucks used non-turbo versions, so that may not help for a complete replacement engine. But some parts might carry across.

I think your best bet would be a 4M40T Delica. It looks like they started coming into Canada last year, so watching for Delica engines might also help.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• gonzalo4to
                    • Feb 2018
                    • America

Any update on this? Congratulations on a great truck. The 4M40 engine is virtually bulletproof if you take good care of it. This truck should last you for hundreds of thousands of miles. Good luck!

P.s. Could we get a few pictures of the interior?

Comment

• GavinD
                      • Nov 2007

To do timing on the 2.8, I remove the glow plugs to make turning crank easier.
                      If you have never had it running, check to make sure it has glow plugs and injectors, for that matter, while you are at it.
                      Cannot think of anything else that would give the 'no compression'.

Comment

• lledwod
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Dawson City YT

Well. I finally got around to pulling the head. #1 and #3 cylinder heads are visibly cracked. The head gasket is blown at #2. Can't see anything yet wrong with #4. The rear, left head bolts were quite loose.

I am not a deisel mechanic, and I do not know what to make of the black streaking on the cylinders. They feel completely baby-bum smooth to my fingers. I have an acquaintance who is a good diesel mechanic. I will see if I can get him to look at it.

If I knew the bottom end is good, I would happily order a new head, gaskets, rad etc.!

I have only looked at two cylinders.

Please chime in with your comments regarding the condition of these cylinders!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X