• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drjohn11
    • Sep 2011
    • Melbourne

Steam from engine bay whilst driving home

Out for a walk this morning down the beach and when driving home felt a sudden pop and then lots of steam started coming out of the engine bay. Was only 100 metres from home so drove home and stopped the engine and let it cool. No loss of power and no warning lights. This evening had a look: -
    1. No coolant in the radiator
    2. No coolant in the overflow tank
    3. Filling the radiator with water causes a huge gush of water to come from the back of the engine .

Am I right in thinking that the cross over pipe has given way and is my problem before I get it flat bedded to the mechanic?

NL Pajero 1999 Auto Petrol V6 3500 350K Km

Thanks in advance guys for your opinions

Alex
    NX GLS MY15 Pajero 265 265 17 BFG AT KO2 Bilsteins & Lovells, ARB Bar Airtec Snorkel Runva XP11 Full BushSkinz Underbody Protection and RockSliders, Donaldson Filter, LRA Tank, Icom 450N 75W HID Spots & Lightbar Drifta Drawers MSA Fridge Slide Engel Fridge 110AH Lithium Battery 65L Water Tank Paddle & Lockup-Mate Kimberley Kamper
    NL 1999 Pajero 3.5L Cargo Barrier UHF Roof Rack. Dual Battery Engel Fridge No Airbags
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

If it was a sudden drop of coolant, it could be a welsh plug which has blown. Whatever, it is necessary to look and see where the coolant has leaked from.

Back of the engine could be either welsh plug, a heater hose or the dreaded metal pipe between the water pump and the rear of the engine. Hopefully it is just a heater hose.

Make sure that when the work has been done, you get a thorough cooling system pressure test done before you take delivery. At worst, you may even have a blown head gasket as a result of driving with no coolant, but this is unlikely. I always think the worst and then things can only get better....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
    Working...
    X