• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

Originally posted by Just Cruzin View Post
    I believe the 6G75 piston has a different piston pin to crown length than the 74, but the 6G74 rods are stronger.
    Spewing about that!! I know where I can get a 6g75 quite cheap with head gasket issues, and was very tempted to grab it to throw the crank in.....assuming my bore alright etc. Back to stock magna engine it is for me!

Comment

• DWC
      • Jul 2007
      • Newcastle

Disco Stu, while I haven't read all the thread, The info you posted means you can put the 6g75 in without "too many" hassles but will require an engineers certificate. You can only do a swap with an engine that came in that model, my 4m40 conversion for instance, with only a blue slip.
      Good luck
      '96 NJ ̶D̶O̶H̶C̶, 4M40/AUTO conversion, 2" TJM lift, Alloy bar, Dual Batteries,
      Icom UHF, 31" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Cibie Super Oscars, Aldi 9500lb winch.
      Conversion thread:
      http:// https://www2.pajeroclub.com....ad.php?t=50484

Comment

• disco stu
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2018
        • Wollongong

Cheers for the comment. Well, not quite... according to the definition of "family" in the ADR's, the 2 engines are of the same family, except for the one of the clauses, where they could be a different "family" or maybe not, that is up to the administrator. But according to other comments in the ADR's this would be an equivelent engine not more than 20% larger. How you install the same model engine that is larger is impossible, so they contradict themselves. One of the big things that bugs me about this

The ridiculous part of all this is that if I stroked and bored a 6G74 to 3.8L I would be perfectly within the rules as to not needing an engineers, and then I would end up with the exact same engine as a 6G75

Comment

• gemster
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2012
          • Gold Coast

Go and actually see them and speak to someone (senior Inspector) from RTA or whoever they are now... Present all your info and get him/her to tell YOU what you need to do then ask them to put their name to it in writing... Stay away from Engineers as all they will do is charge you $$ for more conflicting Info...
          I had to do something simular up here when I had a v6 Capri and wanted to put in a v8. I wanted to use a chassis strengthening kit that HAD to be fitted in NSW to be legal... But would have been Illegal in QLD.... I soon got the info I needed with a Senior Inspector signing off that I Had to use the Kit... Got the car Registered No worries with the Letter and no cost to me cause all I was doing was 'Clarifying' their Stupid Contradicting Laws... Although that was a long time ago, same Principal Applies... I hope...

Or bring it up here (QLD), do the conversion, Register, then take to NSW and transfer Rego over at a small country town... That's the sneaky way of doing it... BUT I DIDN'T TELL YOU THAT ok...

Gemster...
          YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
          And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
          ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• disco stu
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2018
            • Wollongong

Haha!! Cheers Gemster. I'm not looking to go being too sneaky, haven't got that much interest in the swap, as much as just trying to call RMS to account.

I'm looking at VRX magna engine locally tonight. Apparantly only got 120k km on it, but who subframe is out with engine and box on it, so can't verify that. Try to fit a starter to check compression on it before proceeding.

Anyone know if an NL 3.5l manual starter will fit on a 2001 magna? (auto I think, as he said its sports box, but not certain on that)

Comment

• Barneymutt
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2007
              • Regents Park. Qld

What a PITA that is.

All I did in QLD was lodge a Change of Engine Number Form. They didn't even look at the vehicle.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X