• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Techedz
    • Aug 2019
    • South Canberra

Fixing the 'my rear seat won't fold up' problem in 3 minutes

So for the last year that I've had my NW, the dual seat behind the driver was very difficult to unlock and fold forward. It would take me 10 to 20 goes to get it to unlock sometimes. I figured after 245,00 km something was worn or out of adjustment.

I noticed someone else on here had the same problem but the only advice I saw was how to fold the seat, not how to fix the problem.

So today I thought I would pull the seat out and have a look. I unbolted it and removed the back trim panel which took about 15 minutes. There are two cables on each side but neither operated the locking latches.

Then I removed the little side cover on the outside which is just held on by one screw and slides up and off. There is a cable there that is adjustable and I noticed that when I operated the back 'slide/lever' the cable was loose and moved about halfway before it did anything.

I tightened up the cable and tested it and it worked 3 times in a row.

I re-installed the back panel and bolted the seat back in, and bingo, works all the time.

The 5 minute fix if you need to do it is, don't remove the seat, just undo the one screw on the plastic cover on the side near the door that covers the hinge (shown in the photo's below) and adjust the little cable with a 10 mm spanner to remove the slack.

The photo is when I tested it, so the big seat back cover was still off.

Last edited by Techedz; 07-08-20, 10:59 PM.
    NW 2012 Pajero Exceed 3.2 Diesel, 18" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs offroad / Coopers Discoverers onroad; 66 Mustang Convertible; Suzuki M109R 1800, DR650 Dirt bike.
  • Kingmarz
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2016
    • South Island New Zealand

Thanks mate
    I’ve been meaning to get on to this.
    02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

Number 1 priority today for me. The seat folding problem has been with my car since new and the dealer couldn't fix it. Thank you for posting the cure.

Comment

• Pauno
        • Dec 2012
        • Newcastle

This has always bugged me too.

Thanks for finding the fix👍
        NW Exceed

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by erad View Post
          ... the dealer couldn't fix it.
          Without an error code what were they supposed to do?
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
            Without an error code what were they supposed to do?
            Unfortunately your rite

Example I purchased a Hyundai car years back & the stereo Head unit unbeknowns to me was after market.

I rung Hyundai dealer asked was it warranty as playing up I never realised it was aftermarket, perfect match out of my eyes & i was no Hyundai expert of course.
            They said yeah sure bring it in & we will have a look.

My wife had two trips to dealer, first trip 3 hours sitting in park waiting collects car & they said they needed to obtain info from Hyundai & she would have to come back again.

2nd trip, 2 hours sitting in local park, collects car has to pay the bill $140.00 to get the car, sorry madam the stereo is not a Hyundai part it is aftermarket & not our problem

Service with a smile & a $140 bill along with a day in total waisted of her time.

I kid you not apart from the Pajero I just brought that is & was my one & only dealership experience, so it can only get better on a brighter note
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• gaz1
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Blue Mountains NSW

That's a quick, effective and easy fix.....the driver's side seat in my current Pajero has been difficult to release since I've had it. Not any longer, now it releases first go, no fuss. Thank you.
              2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• johnandcass
                • Oct 2014
                • Margaret River

That is great. Nice simple fix to a problem that has been bothering me intermittently!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                2010 NT RX, diesel auto.

Comment

• Techedz
                  • Aug 2019
                  • South Canberra

Happy to be of help. this site has given me lots of help over the last year being a newby to Pajero diesels so nice to repay the help.

Plus, I hate giving MM any of my money for something I can do myself.
                  NW 2012 Pajero Exceed 3.2 Diesel, 18" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs offroad / Coopers Discoverers onroad; 66 Mustang Convertible; Suzuki M109R 1800, DR650 Dirt bike.

Comment

• noddy.r
                    • Jan 2013
                    • perth

Thanks mate great fix took me all of 5 minutes to fix something that has given me the sh$?× for a long time
                    2010 NT GLX DID AUTO - arb bull bar,warn winch, 275x65x17 bfg a/t,
                    2" ome lift, 81L lra aux tank, air tech snorkel, egr mod, 50L waeco, uniden uhf, intervolt dual battery system and lots of other goodies

Comment

• galaga72
                      • Nov 2016
                      • Adelaide

I second all the comments above, great 5 min fix for a problem I have had for ages

Comment

• GHendo
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2012
                        • Northern NSW

Yeah,

Thanks mate ... I ran into this problem a little while ago having not folded the seat for ages ... it eventually went, but now I have a fix to look at.

Cheers
                        Geoff
                        03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• sawtellrob
                          • Apr 2014
                          • Sawtell

Techedz, I was directed to your post by another member. The seat in my car has been a trauma for seven years and now in 5 minutes it’s fixed. So grateful for your pioneering work
                          2010 GLS silver, colour coded ARB bullbar, Redarc dual batteries, Redarc Towpro Elite, Climax suspension upgrade for 300kg on tow ball and Automate

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X