• Show
Clear All
  • chippy4x4
    • Apr 2009
    • adelaide

Just remember the old rule of thumb
    The more power you extract, the shorter the life expectancy of the engine
    Get a vehicle with a bigger engine, or get a lighter trailer
    My thoughts anyway.....................lol, .............................sorry if it offends

Comment

• Kingmarz
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2016
      • South Island New Zealand

"Sell the Pajero and buy a more powerful car"...is correct.[.

No it’s not correct and is not something a fellow Pajero owner and forum club member should be saying to another. Especially after that misinformed garbage you wrote.

It’s well worth extracting extra power from the mighty 3.2 4m41 engine which are highly detuned because of the poor quality fuel available in some countries.
      I as others have had no issues in increasing the power in fact I have at least doubled it and now my rid is an absolute joy to drive with smooth acceleration and gear changes and BETTER fuel economy especially on highway the pedal feels much higher and now can easily get 1000km from a tank.
      I really love driving it and I drive it hard really hard so all you 4m41 owners not need to worry babying your engine for the next owner these engines are super strong and mine has yet to show any signs of wear at currently 412000kms and 26psi of boost oil still on top mark and catch can only has 2-3 tablespoons between services.
      I’m just not seeing many 4m41 wear/damage posts on this site only 6G issues and 4m40 head issues.
      Turbo, intercooler, dump/exhaust and chip/tune is what I believe to be the magic combination and would only cost about $4k to do properly then you wouldn’t have to sell your reliable Pajero and best of all still be able to contribute to this wonderful site/club
      Last edited by Kingmarz; 04-09-20, 01:58 PM. Reason: 1
      02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

The voice of experience:

Originally posted by Kingmarz View Post
        It’s well worth extracting extra power from the mighty 3.2 4m40 engine which are highly detuned because of the poor quality fuel available in some countries.
        I as others have had no issues in increasing the power in fact I have at least doubled it and now my rid is an absolute joy to drive with smooth acceleration and gear changes and BETTER fuel economy especially on highway the pedal feels much higher and now can easily get 1000km from a tank.
        I really love driving it and I drive it hard really hard so all you 4m41 owners not need to worry babying your engine for the next owner these engines are super strong and mine has yet to show any signs of wear at currently 412000kms and 26psi of boost oil still on top mark and catch can only has 2-3 tablespoons between services.
        I’m just not seeing many 4m41 wear/damage posts on this site only 6G issues and 4m40 head issues.
        Turbo, intercooler, dump/exhaust and chip/tune is what I believe to be the magic combination and would only cost about $4k to do properly then you wouldn’t have to sell your reliable Pajero and best of all still be able to contribute to this wonderful site/club
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Pyrrhon View Post
          Hi that advice is the most sensible advice given on the forum.

Half baked ideas on headers/extractors from people who don't know the difference, recommending exhausts with fanciful 'gains' and the extra costs they attract with cat changes then 'tunes' and 'chips'
          with the magic 'remapping' is extremely costly even if one fits the exhaust one's self...to gain what? ..short term sense of achievement, 'bragging rights' and no improvement in fuel consumption owing to the way one drives. Improvement in resale likely '-ve' and possible "no pay sir" from insurer if you stack it The designers know a lot more than most of us about the whole package and how it should work and why the compromises are made.

"Sell the Pajero and buy a more powerful car"...is correct.

So why put a different motor into a vehicle that was designed by the knowledgeable factory? You sound like you,d be a bundle of joy around a campfire...
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• toasta
            • Oct 2014
            • Northern Beaches, Sydney

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
            You sound like you,d be a bundle of joy around a campfire...

Too funny. I'm getting mine tuned today - not after massive power gains - have changed the standard tyre size and just want to get safely out of the engine what I can. Don't need the safety tune it came with from the factory to appease the masses.

UPDATE
            45% increase in kw @ rear wheels
            42% increase in NM

Feels like a 3.2L turbo diesel should feel now - not dissimilar to an Audi A6 diesel I use to have - 3L V6. With my new tyre combo, suspension and tune - feels like a new car.
            Last edited by toasta; 04-09-20, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Kingmarz
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2016

UPDATE
              42% increase in NM

That’s some really impressive power gains.
              I bet your Pajero is a lot more enjoyable to drive with better fuel economy and less stress on engine when towing.
              Glad you didn’t sell it for a more powerful Ranger of which you’ll now have more power than now and keeping the legendary Pajero 4m41 reliability which will see 500,000km where as the Rangers 3.2 will average half that and there’s recently been questions about the reliability of Fords 10 speed box so much in fact that GM has now dropped using it over reliability issues which wouldn’t be a first for Ford remember the Powershit transmissions and all the issues and lawsuits. And then there’s that 2ltr bi turbo engine cranking out 500nm of torque running 29-30psi of boost from factory! Is that going to last?
              As the Pajero 3.2 gets older and older with time the more reliable it’s found to be and getting a reputation.
              02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by toasta View Post

Too funny. I'm getting mine tuned today - not after massive power gains - have changed the standard tyre size and just want to get safely out of the engine what I can. Don't need the safety tune it came with from the factory to appease the masses.

UPDATE
                42% increase in NM

Feels like a 3.2L turbo diesel should feel now - not dissimilar to an Audi A6 diesel I use to have - 3L V6. With my new tyre combo, suspension and tune - feels like a new car.

So what are the actual figures now?
                Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• NJV6
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2010
                  • New Zealand

UPDATE
                  42% increase in NM

That’s some really impressive power gains.
                  I bet your Pajero is a lot more enjoyable to drive with better fuel economy and less stress on engine when towing.
                  Glad you didn’t sell it for a more powerful Ranger of which you’ll now have more power than now and keeping the legendary Pajero 4m41 reliability which will see 500,000km where as the Rangers 3.2 will average half that and there’s recently been questions about the reliability of Fords 10 speed box so much in fact that GM has now dropped using it over reliability issues which wouldn’t be a first for Ford remember the Powershit transmissions and all the issues and lawsuits. And then there’s that 2ltr bi turbo engine cranking out 500nm of torque running 29-30psi of boost from factory! Is that going to last?
                  As the Pajero 3.2 gets older and older with time the more reliable it’s found to be and getting a reputation.
                  I don’t think it’s likely to be an issue with the bi turbo engine lasting, times have changed and more boost is acceptable. If it doesn’t last it’s an engineering fault, not a the engines too small fault. Back when we first had turbo diesels People said 10lb was pretty stressed, nothing would last at 18 which is now 4m41 standard. 25-30 will be the new standard. Shit I remember people saying 100kw would put so much stress on an engine when the 2.8 hilux was 63kw, Oww these turbo diesels are so stressed they won’t last, history tells us differently.
                  1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
                  1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
                  2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• El_Freddo
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2018
                    • Bridgewater, Vic

Whoa... thread dig for a throw away comment!

Interesting about the power gains. Going to read up on them now. No issues with pump wear with these mods?

Cheers

Bennie
                    2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• Kingmarz
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
                      I don’t think it’s likely to be an issue with the bi turbo engine lasting, times have changed and more boost is acceptable. If it doesn’t last it’s an engineering fault, not a the engines too small fault. Back when we first had turbo diesels People said 10lb was pretty stressed, nothing would last at 18 which is now 4m41 standard. 25-30 will be the new standard. Shit I remember people saying 100kw would put so much stress on an engine when the 2.8 hilux was 63kw, Oww these turbo diesels are so stressed they won’t last, history tells us differently.

Time will tell it’s far too early say.
                      Other engines that run that sort of boost from factory that come to mind are the ZD30 engine that came out in the patrol/safari and we all know about all the excessive boost related issues people are having with them I mean is there any left without the head been lifted in Australia? There’s none in NZ. The other modern Diesel engine that runs high boost from factory is the Renault 2.3 in the current Navara and don’t even get be started with that engines reliability and longevity cos it’s junk.
                      I find it amazing how much power the modern Diesel engine can make and how reliable the CR fuel system is just remember that the JDM Triton 2.8 in 1996 had the most powerful engine in its class with only 320Nm. Maybe diesel is the future?

Comment

• Gerbs
                        • Oct 2017
                        • New Zealand

Originally posted by toasta View Post

UPDATE
                        42% increase in NM

Ummmm......
                        I thought the NM/NP wasn't really "tunable" with a chip - the later common rail engines, sure, but not the older NM/NP with the non-common rail DiD.

Do tell me more if I'm wrong - mad-keen for a bit more from the old girl. Stop me lusting after a NT-NX or..... dare I say it..... a Discovery4!
                        2002 NM Pajero 3.2TD Auto 5 door
                        MCC winch bar, snorkel, 2in lift. More to come.

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

Time will tell it’s far too early say.
                          Other engines that run that sort of boost from factory that come to mind are the ZD30 engine that came out in the patrol/safari and we all know about all the excessive boost related issues people are having with them I mean is there any left without the head been lifted in Australia? There’s none in NZ. The other modern Diesel engine that runs high boost from factory is the Renault 2.3 in the current Navara and don’t even get be started with that engines reliability and longevity cos it’s junk.
                          I find it amazing how much power the modern Diesel engine can make and how reliable the CR fuel system is just remember that the JDM Triton 2.8 in 1996 had the most powerful engine in its class with only 320Nm. Maybe diesel is the future?

So what are the power and torque figures for your vehicle now?
                          Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Kingmarz
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2016

So what are the power and torque figures for your vehicle now?
                            Hey Dick
                            Don’t actually know but I’ve recorded back to back 8.9 sec 0-100kph on my FastR app with my heavy 22s on which I believe is slightly better than Pajero factory specs and a 500Nm Colorado

Comment

• Kingmarz
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Gerbs View Post
                              Ummmm......
                              I thought the NM/NP wasn't really "tunable" with a chip - the later common rail engines, sure, but not the older NM/NP with the non-common rail DiD.

Do tell me more if I'm wrong - mad-keen for a bit more from the old girl. Stop me lusting after a NT-NX or..... dare I say it..... a Discovery4!
                              NM/NP 3.2 DID is tunable on dyno and can be chipped but I think the ECU has to be removed which is a little more difficult.
                              NT/NX power levels are easily achieved only CR fuel system is a lot more reliable and cheaper to repair.

Comment

• toasta
                                • Oct 2014
                                • Northern Beaches, Sydney

So what are the actual figures now?
                                This is here for the numbers to show before and after. Not really too interested in the accuracy of the dyno in terms of absolute kilowatts - just the differential in the before and after.

I haven't really driven it that far yet to get a real feel for it. Only 100ks. But first impressions are that it feels a lot more like an old Audi A6 diesel I had. Certainly much better since I put the larger diameter tyres on - feels like the right tune for them.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X