• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scouter1
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2013
    • Sydney NSW

Scouter's NT GLS

Having bought my first "proper" 4WD earlier this year, and having spent WAYYY too much time on this site researching what everyone has done to their vehicles, I thought I should return the favour in the hope it may help someone else down the line.

I picked up my 2011 Pajero NT DID Auto earlier this year with 40,000kms on the clock. It was an end of lease ex-company vehicle that seems to have been serviced by the book and looked fairly straight. One of the first mods for its first service was an MM towbar & spare lift bracket for occasional light towing duties. I seem to have to move trailers around a bit as a Scout leader so this has already got a work out. Similar thinking for adding a Pioneer platform, a bunch of stuff seems to have ended up on the roof. Also swapped out the OEM H/Ts for some Bridgestone D697s. The rears were 70% gone & getting slippery in the rain so on went the A/Ts. Slightly noisier than the H/Ts, but very happy with the improved on and off road performance.

Here is she is on the first camping trip with the family. The extra load space has been a revelation having come off a steady diet of Subaru wagons over the years.

10/1/18 UPDATE Having found the character limit for signatures, I have moved the mod list here:

MM Towbar Pioneer roof platform / roof tracks Scangauge BushSkinz plates/sliders/rear guard HID Hi/Lo inserts Lovells HDs/Bilsteins Redarc 1225/2nd battery Icom IC440N Autosafe cargo barrier ORS storage platform Side/Rear awnings Kenwood head unit/speakers/sub ARB rear locker TJM Snorkel 3" exhaust LRA aux tank AT valve body/TCC lock up ARB Deluxe Bar Stedi Fog/DRLs Fyrlyt 5000 OPAT II Inawise TPMS Abber tank Paddles/Paddle-Mate HPD Front Mount Inter Cooler

Cheers,
    Stephen
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Scouter1; 13-02-18, 11:14 AM. Reason: Added mods list
    2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099
  • Aussie_Dan
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Cairns

Congrats on the purchase Stephen. The NT Paj is a well sorted beast and should give you many happy years of motoring!
    Cheers, Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• schnitzel
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2009
      • Bendigo

so important question. which group, which section. I'm the Venturerer leader at 1st strathfieldsaye in Bendigo
      Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• Scouter1
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2013
        • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by schnitzel View Post
        so important question. which group, which section. I'm the Venturerer leader at 1st strathfieldsaye in Bendigo
        Lovely part of the world, my wife's family live in Northern Victoria so have had a few day/weekend trips to Bendigo district over the years.

I am an ASL at 1st East Wahroonga Scouts (Sydney North Region). Both my daughters in Scouts, eldest one about to head up to Venturers next year. Having gone through all sections as a child/young adult, I was not necessarily expecting my girls to do the same thing but so far they both seem to be really enjoying it. We are doing a group family holiday up to Fraser Island in early Jan, can't wait to try out some of the recent additions to the Paj.
        Last edited by Scouter1; 13-12-13, 08:56 AM.
        2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• Scouter1
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2013
          • Sydney NSW

Tyres

Having read Gus and other's feedback http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=27966 on the new-ish Bridgestone D697 AT, I retired the fairly worn OEM H/Ts for a set of five new 65 series, the virgin spare went to a good home... I have put about 3000kms on the new boots to date, and would concur with general opinions regarding grip, handling & noise - very happy with them so far!

IMG_1015.jpg IMG_1147.jpg
          Last edited by Scouter1; 29-02-16, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• Scouter1
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2013
            • Sydney NSW

Bushskinz

Have put on BushSkinz bashplates, sliders & now a rear guard as I have done a few steep tracks recently & had noticed a few nicks and scrapes appearing on the bottom edge of the bumper. It is a bit of a design fault and I didn't want to leave my mark at the bottom of a sand hill somewhere.

The sliders are really well made (along with all of Kieron's products), nice slide-in fit with a trolley jack doing the heavy lifting...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Scouter1; 13-12-13, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• schnitzel
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2009
              • Bendigo

Originally posted by Scouter1 View Post
              Lovely part of the world, my wife's family live in Northern Victoria so have had a few day/weekend trips to Bendigo district over the years.

I am an ASL at 1st East Wahroonga Scouts (Sydney North Region). Both my daughters in Scouts, eldest one about to head up to Venturers next year. Having gone through all sections as a child/young adult, I was not necessarily expecting my girls to do the same thing but so far they both seem to be really enjoying it. We are doing a group family holiday up to Fraser Island in early Jan, can't wait to try out some of the recent additions to the Paj.

Know the area well i was originally from Mt Colah and the lane cove / longueville.

Will catch up hopefully at next Jamboree, i will probably be on Vic Contingent staff. ( i've been invovled since I was a cub at 1st lane cove, my kids are now both rovers)
              Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• Scouter1
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2013
                • Sydney NSW

Suspension upgrade

The standard springs were OK for the relatively low no. of KMs, but one of the rear shocks was not great and I wasn't very happy with the overall feel of things. My last drive was a small European car so it was never going to be a fair comparison, but it certainly felt a bit sketchy in mid corner bumps, and off road corrugations were definitely a challenge. Reading a number of posts lead me down the path of HD Lovells (+50mm) & Bilsteins supplied by Kieron & fitted last week. WOW, what a transformation!! Super happy with the change in on-road feel and performance under braking. I don't have a bar up front or drawers in the back, but certainly don't think the ride is too harsh, it is certainly firmer but by no means uncomfortable.

Heights (Wheel centre to arch in mm with full tank):

Standard springs
                RHS F 480
                R 480
                LHS F 490
                R 490

Lovells HD
                RHS F 535
                R 554
                LHS F 535
                R 557

Before & after photos:
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Scouter1; 16-12-13, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Scouter1
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2013
                  • Sydney NSW

Replacement head unit

Getting tired of listening to the standard radio and had noticed a slight crackle in one of the door speakers so decided to upgrade. I had read a number of threads on the topic so was thinking hard about Windows CE based units. However I listened to a few different head units / speakers combinations and finally decided to go with a Kenwood DNX5350DAB & amp, Polk speakers and Kicker under seat subwoofer. I didn't go the whole hog lining the door cavities with Dynamat, just used the speaker kits on the four doors.

Really happy with the sound & performance of the unit which does street and off road navigation (Garmin based GPS & file system) and the digital radio is a real treat around town. Loving the rear camera as well for tight parking spots. I ended up spending a fair bit more than originally budgeted for as quality certainly costs...

IMG_1768.jpg IMG_1769.jpg IMG_1770.jpg
                  Last edited by Scouter1; 29-02-16, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• TristanNL
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2013
                    • Horsham

New headunit looks good!!
                    Replacing the stock unit in my paj is on the to do list (when is another list - haha).
                    2013 NW GLXR (MY14) Auto

Comment

• Scouter1
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2013
                      • Sydney NSW

Dual battery set up

Added a Redarc BCDC1225 charger / isolator along with deep cycle aux. battery a while back. I also wired up a solar input as this unit has MPPT tracking capability. A discrete Anderson plug on the front bumper near the number plate - easy as... Doesn't seem to get too hot between the batteries and has so far worked without issue.

Cheers,
                      Stephen
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Scouter1; 30-11-14, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Scouter1
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2013
                        • Sydney NSW

Extra traction

Too many 4WD equipment sales on at the moment

ARB's recent promotion encouraged me to add a rear air locker as this had been on the wish list for a while. Mostly happy with the installation except for them fitting compressor near the airbox (see next post). Think I will probably go with Troy711's idea inside the rear luggage panel http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...6&postcount=35

It certainly provides a lot of extra traction on rocky / gravel hills, very happy with the addition.

Cheers,
                        Stephen
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Scouter1
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2013
                          • Sydney NSW

TJM Snorkel

The recent TJM sale prodded me into action to fit a snorkel to the beastie. I had a close call with a deep puddle coming back from a canyon near Newnes a couple of months ago and had some muddy water go into the airbox (1st photo) - enough of a gentle warning to do something about it. It was supplied & fitted by TJM Waitara, they did a very tidy job.

It certainly makes a bit more induction/turbo spool noise with the driver's window down but nothing I can't live with. My daughter says it looks like a proper 4WD now...

Cheers,
                          Stephen
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Scouter1
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2013
                            • Sydney NSW

RAM Mount tablet holder

I use my tablet in the Paj periodically for work, and also use Hema maps for off road navigation. Was toying with putting a floor mount in but they seem a bit cumbersome for the front passenger to manoeuvre around when not in use.

RAM Mounts have recently introduced a new tablet holder with improved cupholder mount that seems just about purpose-built for later model Pajeros (RAM-A-CAN II) http://www.rammount.com/Products/XGr...0/Default.aspx. It has been on some rough tracks and seems to work well without modification. The unit doesn't get in the way of gear shifting, and can still use centre console normally. I usually leave the tablet holder under the seat when not in use, the arm folds in front of the centre console armrest storage unit.

Have been very happy using their stuff on previous cars & motorcycles, well built and stays exactly where you set it. No commercial association with them, just a satisfied customer http://www.rammount.com/Dealers/RAMM...5/Default.aspx

Cheers,
                            Stephen
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Scouter1
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2013
                              • Sydney NSW

Early Christmas present - ECU remap

After driving a mate's NT Pajero with 3" exhaust & DP Chip a little while ago, I decided an engine performance boost should move up the upgrade/mods list. Apsilon's & PradoEater's recent posts http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...t=42199&page=8 swayed me towards an Ecutek ECU remap by MRT at Rhodes http://www.mrtperformance.com.au/per...formance-guide. Originally I had planned to do inlet manifold clean, new exhaust then the remap, but MRT came up with a deal to do standard ECU remap then do custom tune for free when manifold decoke & new exhaust happen next month. So effectively I have had around 60% of the planned upgrade so far - http://www.mrtperformance.com.au/per...ajero-did-32l-. Not super happy with the badges going on as the stealth aspect of ECU remap was one of the appeals of this upgrade, they will come off after the next stage.

Very impressed with the outcome to date - a good reduction in turbo lag, general increase in urge across the board, but especially in low to mid range. You can really feel the extra power & torque whenever the throttle is opened. Economy has improved slightly but it has been hard to tell with strong temptation to use the extra power when the opportunities present themselves

Cheers,
                              Stephen
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Scouter1; 22-12-14, 03:24 PM. Reason: Corrected URL

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X