Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 24-02-12

Default Coolant flush and change on 1993 3ltr V6

Hoping to do this tomorrow,just wondering how much coolant is needed to replace the old stuff and is there anything else to know?
Type A coolant is the right one too?
Old 25-02-12

Send a message via Skype™ to Bernoulli

When mine was done several months ago, my mechanic used wheel cleaner to flush it. Put it in - drive it around - flush it out well
He says it works very well to remove the bad stuff.
Old 25-02-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernoulli View Post
When mine was done several months ago, my mechanic used wheel cleaner to flush it. Put it in - drive it around - flush it out well
He says it works very well to remove the bad stuff.
Not a bad idea .
Old 25-02-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Paj View Post
Hoping to do this tomorrow,just wondering how much coolant is needed to replace the old stuff and is there anything else to know?
Type A coolant is the right one too?
Just a word of advice make sure you completely flush your system of old coolent as if you mix different brands together they can react against each other and gel up in your cooling system which in turn blocks up the cores in the radiator causing overheating problems
Old 25-02-12

Usually it is a good idea to run the engine and switch on the heater, to make sure the heater core is also flushed.

I usually do 3 flushes with tap water: Drain the old coolant, fill up with tap water, run the engine and engage the heater until engine is at operation temperature, let it cool down, drain the radiator. Repeat. After 3 flushes I cant notice any greenish colour left from the old coolant. Then use demineralised water, add coolant stuff and you are done. No need for disconnecting any hoses.
97 Pajero NK GLS, 3.5L Auto... 33x12.5 Bighorns on 15x8, 2" Suspension Lift (Lovell / Bilstein / Tough Dog), 170 Narva Spotties, homemade Rear Storage System, homemade Top Roof Console, ARB onboard compressor, UHF, Redarc Dual Battery Setup, Rear Working Light, 300W Inverter, Full size Rhino roof rack
Old 25-02-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndeadHomer View Post
Usually it is a good idea to run the engine and switch on the heater, to make sure the heater core is also flushed.

I usually do 3 flushes with tap water: Drain the old coolant, fill up with tap water, run the engine and engage the heater until engine is at operation temperature, let it cool down, drain the radiator. Repeat. After 3 flushes I cant notice any greenish colour left from the old coolant. Then use demineralised water, add coolant stuff and you are done. No need for disconnecting any hoses.

Nicely done there,seems like the best and easiest.
I read from another post,

- CASTROL ANTIFREEZE-ANTIBOIL
A fully formulated, ethylene glycol based coolant designed to meet the requirements of the majority of cars and light commercial vehicles with petrol and diesel engines. Use at 30 - 50% concentration as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

Service Refill Capacity: 9.5 Litres (See Note 921)

Is that right?
what brand would you's recommend?
On a brief look in SCA yesterday they only seemed to have 5ltr bottles for anything other than Type A,Type A's all seemed to be 1ltrs and @ $9 each..
Old 01-03-12

Done the flush yesterday,took about 5 fill ups of tapwater till it was draining clear,then mineralised water worked a treat,all top up and reserve bottle is squeaky clean.
I also ran the garden hose down the top and it helped.
Took just under 5 ltrs of coolant which i found in the 'open your eyes' section of SCA for just $20.
Peace of mind at last.
Old 01-03-12

good on ya, mate, saved some $$$ by doing it yourself !

5-6 litres of coolant seems to be about the same amount as I needed to fill up after flushing.
I used demineralised water and added nulon concentrated green additive (el cheapo)
97 Pajero NK GLS, 3.5L Auto... 33x12.5 Bighorns on 15x8, 2" Suspension Lift (Lovell / Bilstein / Tough Dog), 170 Narva Spotties, homemade Rear Storage System, homemade Top Roof Console, ARB onboard compressor, UHF, Redarc Dual Battery Setup, Rear Working Light, 300W Inverter, Full size Rhino roof rack
Old 01-03-12
Valued Member

be careful with the cheap coolants as you really do get what you pay for in this stuff, What you need to do is compare the ethylene glycol concentration, a good one n concentrate has about 900g/ l and is mixed in a 50 / 50 concentration, some of the cheap ones start at 400 g/ l and reckon they can be diluted up to 15l.

Talk to the experts and they will all say go for the good stuff first, poor quality coolant can actually be worse than plain water.
Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica
Old 01-03-12
Valued Member

totally agree with schnitzel. it is not a wise move to use cheap coolant as more harm can be done than you would think. remember this stuff is not just a Coolant that keeps engine temps down a touch but it also is a protectant of the alloys used inside your vital cooling areas.
NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.