• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2bad4u
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Perth, Western Australia

Throttle body clean

Just had the car serviced and how unusual I'm told I need a throttle body clean at $140.... that's an expensive can of spray. Wish I could find an honest mechanic that isn't always trying to add something extra on.

BUT... is it really necessary to clean the throttle body "properly" or is a squirt from a can good enough? And if cleaning the throttle body, why not just do a full manifold clean?
    Warren
    2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
    2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti
  • tonee
    • Jun 2019
    • Queensland

You can buy this can and it'll clean your throttle body and some of the manifold gunk

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Kingmarz
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2016
      • South Island New Zealand

Throttle body is only 4 bolts and a hose clamp and with a cordless ratchet it can be removed in two minutes and easily cleaned with hot soapy water and a can of cleaner would also be highly effective on throttle body but not so much on manifold.
      I wonder if he was meaning complete manifold clean which would be fair for $140 and justified for your vehicle.
      Maybe look for a better mechanic.
      02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• tonee
        • Jun 2019
        • Queensland

A full manifold clean costs $500-$800 so I'm not sure what he's going to do with $140. I'd stay away as it sounds like he's pulling your leg.

Comment

• 2bad4u
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2009
          • Perth, Western Australia

Definitely just a throttle body clean. I just don't see the point unless you do the job properly and do a full manifold clean rather than just a squirt from a can.
          Warren
          2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
          2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• Kingmarz
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2016

[QUOTE=tonee;639098]A full manifold clean costs $500-$800 so I'm not sure what he's going to do with $140. I'd stay away as it sounds like he's pulling your leg.

$500-$800? Wow gotta wonder how much they’re charging per hour? Does it take them 10 hours?

It only took me 2 hours and half a can of oven cleaner and my water blaster had job done before lunch of which I could have eaten out of my manifold it was so clean.

I would be happy to clean anyone’s inlet manifold in my area for a fee of $140. :$
            02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• tonee
              • Jun 2019
              • Queensland

[QUOTE=Kingmarz;639192]
              Originally posted by tonee View Post
              A full manifold clean costs $500-$800 so I'm not sure what he's going to do with $140. I'd stay away as it sounds like he's pulling your leg.

$500-$800? Wow gotta wonder how much they’re charging per hour? Does it take them 10 hours?

It only took me 2 hours and half a can of oven cleaner and my water blaster had job done before lunch of which I could have eaten out of my manifold it was so clean.

I would be happy to clean anyone’s inlet manifold in my area for a fee of $140. :$
              Yeah supposedly takes almost the whole day [emoji2371]

Where are you located?

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2016
                • Greater Sydney

[QUOTE=tonee;639206]
                Originally posted by Kingmarz View Post
                Yeah supposedly takes almost the whole day [emoji2371]

Where are you located?

You can't compare the NM 3.2 to the common rail from the NS on.

Comment

• Kingmarz
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2016

[QUOTE=BruceandBobbi;639209]
                  Originally posted by tonee View Post

You can't compare the NM 3.2 to the common rail from the NS on.
                  Of course you can compare a NM Pajero 3.2 to a NS on Pajero 3.2CR as they’re the same engine!
                  Here I thought everyone knew that.

Comment

• aussieintas
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • Sorell, Tasmania

A can of spray and throttle body clean is nothing compared to a full intake off clean.

Kingmarz....unfortunately in Aus that is the average going rate for a full intake off and clean through a dealer. Obviously an independant mech would be cheaper.......heard of prices between $250 to $450.
                    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Mike1960
                      • Jun 2020
                      • Maitland

It has always cost me a heap the mechanic labour is $150 an hour everywhere around me. $600 for the new gasket and seal set, do the valve clearances and clean out EGR and manifolds.

It took me 4.5 hours solid when I did it myself and I am a truck mechanic I cannot see how anyone could do it much quicker.

Anyone else done it themselves don’t forget injector pipes need to come off EGR pipes etc it is a big job to do it properly and replace the top timing chain guide

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X