• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P humphreys
    • Aug 2019
    • Sydney

Help needed please - removing old intake gasket

Hi everyone I have dismantled and cleaned my intake Manifold on my NS SWB now ready to reinstall. But old rubber gasket stuck hard against the head. How do I get it off?

I started driving a paint scraper down behind it but need a hammer to force it through (don’t want to damage mounting surface and very close to glow plugs). Really stuck there.

Is there a technique? Heat gun or cut. Help please.

Cheers
    Paul
  • Fbo974
    • Apr 2019
    • Reunion Island

Hi,
    it is true that it is a little hard to remove it. I used a big flat screwdriver to pry it up and out. Then I took a small scraper for the little bits of rubber stuck on the cylinder head

Comment

• Seigried
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2016
      • brisbane

It can be very hard to get off. Spraying some degreaser may help. I cleaned around the gasket this way first. Spray. Soak for a few minutes then wipe dry. Go over it again with clean damp rag a few times. Then dry. Then feel around with your scraper for a loose point to get under.
      For me this worked after a few times.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• P humphreys
        • Aug 2019
        • Sydney

Thanks

Originally posted by Fbo974 View Post
        Hi,
        it is true that it is a little hard to remove it. I used a big flat screwdriver to pry it up and out. Then I took a small scraper for the little bits of rubber stuck on the cylinder head
        Thanks I am counting on it being cast iron so hard to damage. I will try a combo of your suggestion and Seigried

Comment

• P humphreys
          • Aug 2019
          • Sydney

Thanks

Originally posted by Seigried View Post
          It can be very hard to get off. Spraying some degreaser may help. I cleaned around the gasket this way first. Spray. Soak for a few minutes then wipe dry. Go over it again with clean damp rag a few times. Then dry. Then feel around with your scraper for a loose point to get under.
          For me this worked after a few times.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Really appreciate the fast reply!!!

Comment

• P humphreys
            • Aug 2019
            • Sydney

Originally posted by Fbo974 View Post
            Hi,
            Really appreciate the fast reply!!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X