• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KevL
    • May 2015
    • Murphys Creek

Shock absorbers

The time is rapidly approaching when I’ll have to replace the shocks on my ‘15 PC. Getting towards 150k.
    I’m looking to the collective knowledge for some ideas.

The vehicle is standard height and will be staying that way. It’s had the kings kcrs23 rear springs /pedders upgrade. The front springs are fine, only an alloy nudge bar.

I tow a 2t van for a month or so a year.
    I don’t “off road “.
    I do like a gravel road though.
    The good wife has a dodgy back, so is less of a fan of corrugated roads, so if there’s something that’s good with them I’m all ears.

So, can’t be too firm on compression, reasonable rebound control to cope with our less than smooth sealed roads, stop the backend bouncing with the van on. Doesn’t ride like a dray either.

What’s the good oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by KevL View Post
    The time is rapidly approaching when I’ll have to replace the shocks on my ‘15 PC. Getting towards 150k.
    I’m looking to the collective knowledge for some ideas.

The vehicle is standard height and will be staying that way. It’s had the kings kcrs23 rear springs /pedders upgrade. The front springs are fine, only an alloy nudge bar.

I tow a 2t van for a month or so a year.
    I don’t “off road “.
    I do like a gravel road though.
    The good wife has a dodgy back, so is less of a fan of corrugated roads, so if there’s something that’s good with them I’m all ears.

So, can’t be too firm on compression, reasonable rebound control to cope with our less than smooth sealed roads, stop the backend bouncing with the van on. Doesn’t ride like a dray either.

What’s the good oil?

Hi Kev,

Either KYB or OzTech are good struts and shockers at a good price.
    If you are traveling a lot of corrugated dirt roads at high loads then Dobinson IMS.
    Bilstein and Old Man Emu ride firm, especially on compression so these will not suit your requirements.

How are re you finding the KCRS-23 coils and 5899 rubber cones compared to Factory coils and cones?
    What is your towball load?
    Are you using a WDH?

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• KevL
      • May 2015
      • Murphys Creek

Thanks OJ,

Springs and cones are fantastic, dumped the WDH.
      Tow ball load between 150 - 200kg. Carry maybe 100kg in the back when loaded .

Which KYB? Excel G or the Skorched4? I think the skorched4 are probably too heavy and recommended for lifted vehicles?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011

Thanks OJ,

Springs and cones are fantastic, dumped the WDH.
        Tow ball load between 150 - 200kg. Carry maybe 100kg in the back when loaded .

Which KYB? Excel G or the Skorched4? I think the skorched4 are probably too heavy and recommended for lifted vehicles?

Hi Kev,

KYB Skorched are better suited for your application, the Excel G are close to the factory struts and shockers.

150kg to 200kg towball is getting to the point where a WDH could beneficial, especially if the caravan is quite long, as the dynamic loads can cause excessive pitching.
        Does the caravan have single or dual axle ?
        What sort of caravan suspension do you have?
        By reducing the WDH tension so the front ride heights return to the pre hitched height when the WDH is connected, you will add some sway control and improve the pitch control.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• KevL
          • May 2015
          • Murphys Creek

The van is a 16ft Supreme Getaway, control rider independent suspension, single axle.
          I had been using a WDH but stopped after the kings install. The rear only drops 25mm or so when hitched, not much pitching now. It also needs adjusting to work correctly with the new springs, something I haven’t felt worth the effort.
          The back shocks don’t feel too bad, more starting to notice the front left dipping a bit on RH cornering.
          I might talk to the local Oztec supplier tomorrow. I’m heading off in a week, so too late to do anything before then I’d think.

Thanks for the assistance.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

The factory shockers and struts are undersize especially when carrying heavy loads and or towing. So at 150,000km they will be well past their best before date.

If you give Steve Shepard from GSA Wholesale Suspension at Slacks Creek Qld. he might have stock and be able to recommend someone that coils fit them quickly.

I think it would be worth a resetting of the WDH and see what you think, you can always disconnect it on your trip if you want to.

OJ.

Comment

• KevL
              • May 2015
              • Murphys Creek

Shock absorbers

Thanks OJ.
              I’ll get onto it tomorrow, see what can be done.

Update,
              Spoke with local Oztec dealer today. After telling me they were booked solid until 2nd week of October, called me back 20min later with a cancelation on Monday. Bit over $1k all fitted and wheel aligned.

Last edited by KevL; 18-09-20, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• KevL
                • May 2015
                • Murphys Creek

Oztec shocks were fitted.
                I’ve only travelled 100k or so on them so far. They are described as comfort shocks and that certainly seems to be the case, relatively soft on compression.
                I leave next week for about 3000k over 3 weeks with the van in tow, including some gravel/dirt, so it’ll be interesting to see how they go.
                I got my hands on the old rh rear shock, it was still in reasonably good condition, a bit of life left. The Oztec with a 64mm dia is a much larger capacity shock though.

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Oztec shocks were fitted.
                  I’ve only travelled 100k or so on them so far. They are described as comfort shocks and that certainly seems to be the case, relatively soft on compression.
                  I leave next week for about 3000k over 3 weeks with the van in tow, including some gravel/dirt, so it’ll be interesting to see how they go.
                  I got my hands on the old rh rear shock, it was still in reasonably good condition, a bit of life left. The Oztec with a 64mm dia is a much larger capacity shock though.

Hi Kev,

I look forward to an update after your travels. suspension is a very personal preference thing but most people do not know what they like until they have experienced it.
                  The new rear suspension should vastly improve the way your PS carries the loads and handles. Safe travels.

OJ.

Comment

• KevL
                    • May 2015
                    • Murphys Creek

Shock absorbers

So, after about 1000k of rural Qld roads, incl 70 odd k of variable dirt/ gravel ( incl the Arcadia Valley road, lake Nuga Nuga, for those familiar)I can say the kings kcrs23 / pedders 5899 combo is excellent. I believe the pedders rubbers are the most important part of this.
                    Am I correct in thinking they’re taking load after as little as 25/30mm of suspension travel?
                    It’s harder to compare shocks but I’m very happy with how the challenger handled the many and varied sudden undulations, eliminating any seesawing without being harsh.
                    All in all, I’m wrapped in how the car now travels with almost 2t of caravan on the back. It’s a much more relaxed drive, traveling very smoothly on the better roads.

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

Hi Kev,

Glad you are happy with the suspension combination.
                      The Aeon 5899 rubber cones springs start assisting the rear coils about 40mm earlier in the suspension compression and are very progressive so these really do assist the rear coils, combine this with the progressive spring rate of the King KCRS-23 and you have a rear suspension that reacts to changing loads very well.
                      I have not tried OzTec shockers myself but from all the feedback I have received, it is always positive.

Safe Travels,

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X