• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spenceee
    • Aug 2020
    • Brisbane

Pajero NX Bars

Hi all,

Looking into options for my NX Pajero (2017). I've seen a lot of stuff written about recovery points and whether or not the ones on the Pajero are suitable for any kind of recovery.

For those of you with a bar, did they come with rated recovery points on them, or simply expose the existing points on the monocoque?

I'm trying to find a bar which looks reasonably stock, I'm not after anything too crazy so all ears for examples. Also what would be "fair" pricing to purchase and get professionally installed?

Thanks in advance.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

The first question is do you really need a bullbar or is it a case of really wanting a bullbar?

Do you want to be able to fit a winch now or later?

Are you planning to upgrade the front suspension to handle the extra weight?

Are you thinking about a 2nd battery under the bonnet?

Lightest bullbars will be a factory alloy, factory steel, a non winch compatible Smartbar or ECB alloy bar, all of these are between 25kg to 40kg fitted. From the 40kg mark are your lighter weight steel bars like MCC and Ironman, increasing in weight as you go to OL, TJM and finally ARB, where a winch compatible bar can be easily over 65kg.

The front axle has a factory weight of about 1200-1250 kg and a front axle load limit of 1330 kg so you only have about 100ish kg of axle payload to spare. Given that 50% of the front seat passenger weight is distributed to the front axle, a second battery can weigh 30kg, a winch 20kg to 30kg and underbody plates can be up to 50kg a set, so it is very easy to exceed the front axle load limit.

However there are thousands of Gen 3/4 Pajeros with millions of kms on the odometers', over the last 20 years that have overloaded front axles and very few reported failures. Only common issues is sagging front factory coils, however there have been a few incidents of structural cracking of the front structure, where the vehicle has had a lot of off road travels.

The strength of factory front recovery loops have been question for years but Mitsubishi have tested these, as have thousands of owners and I have not seen a single report of recovery loop failing.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• spenceee
      • Aug 2020
      • Brisbane

Bar was mainly about approach angle for 4WD and "potential" to put a cheap and cheerful winch for the future (I.e. fitted for but not with). It would form a spot to throw lights on and an antenna etc., but the main reason was for 4WD capability vs. stock bumper.

I am looking at dual battery and I'm by no means a small human so that comes into it. I was looking at the smartbar with the winch for example.

Recovery was the other one as I noted, because I've been told multiple times that I could quote "never recover from the factory points".

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

Ive been very happy with the MCC bullbar i put on my NS. Yes probably a little lighter than ARB etc but by far capable enough for general use and a lot cheaper than ARB or TJM.

Have a look at Kiwi1973 on this forum who has just completed a trip right across Asia and Europe with an MCC bullbar on his NS Pajero.
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• pharb
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Tyers,Vic

Replaced the Smartbar on my second hand NX with ARB.

Also swapped over the synthetic rope equipped Warn winch from the Smart Bar to the ARB.

I weighed all the bits that came off and went on.

Smart Bar was 49kg, ARB was 62kg.

A net increase of 13kg over the SB.

With 2nd battery in engine bay front axle weight wasn't an issue, having weighed with myself, my Dad, 3 good sized chain saws behind folded up rear seat (so in front of rear axle), and a weekends camping gear for 2 in boot.

I'll if I can remember where I recorded weights I will post them up.

I have since moved battery to boot.
          PCOV Member 1107.
          Daily driver NX GLX
          Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
          Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
          Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by spenceee View Post

Recovery was the other one as I noted, because I've been told multiple times that I could quote "never recover from the factory points".
            You should really watch these pair when it comes to Pajero recovery points.

Pajero off-road snatch recovery demonstration, showing strength of monocoque body construction and recovery points. Test was conducted by Mitsubishi Motors A...

I've also concluded before i recently brought a Pajero, that unlike other "tow points" the Pajero "recovery" loops to me are solid welded into chassis.

Have a look fully welded, i'm not sure but think they might be high tensile into high tensile chassis rails??
            I suspect but not sure on that in any way?

Before i brought Pajero I have trolled high & low. Have not yet found one person say they've ripped one off
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• pharb
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Tyers,Vic

Somewhere on here in last 6 months or so was a picture, or rendering, of the Pajero "chassis" rails which showed the factory recovery points actually travel through the complete rail from top to bottom, welded the entire length to the multi layer, reinforced rail.

On that basis I would probably put more faith on these factory points than some of the after market bolt on recovery points that use a couple of 1/2" (or there abouts) bolts fastened to an unreinforced section of chassis, or even some of the "good" factory points on other makes.

Although admittedly factory points on other makes are probably reinforced out of site just like on the Paj.
              PCOV Member 1107.
              Daily driver NX GLX
              Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.

Comment

• spenceee
                • Aug 2020
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by pharb View Post
                Replaced the Smartbar on my second hand NX with ARB.
                Was there a reason you switched from the Smartbar? I was curious from a softened look, pedestrian friendly and winch mount at getting one. But I also like the look of the ARB bar, noting that it appears to be the priciest...

Comment

• pharb
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by spenceee View Post
                  Was there a reason you switched from the Smartbar? I was curious from a softened look, pedestrian friendly and winch mount at getting one. But I also like the look of the ARB bar, noting that it appears to be the priciest...
                  Mainly aesthetics, but also functionality mainly around winch access (visually to see winch rope, put also physically).
                  In hindsight winch access hasn't improved as much as I would like, but still a bit better.

Also, when removing the Smartbar I found some of the threaded bosses inserted in the bar to mount lights etc spun in their recess, so were not very functional.
                  The bar was not as light as expected either due to a significant additional steel cross member to mount winch. This doesn't seem to be an issue with Smart bars for other makes, models.

I'm not overly concerned about pedestrian friendliness as we don't use the vehicle in locations that generally have interaction with pedestrians so potential for incident is vastly reduced.
                  PCOV Member 1107.
                  Daily driver NX GLX

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Love them or hate them.
                    Smartbars are the only bullbar to be ANCAP tested in vehicle mounted crash tests and in the case of the Hilux it improved the safety rating from 4 star to 5 star.
                    SmartBar has released a range of ANCAP tested bull bar alternatives that actually improve the ANCAP score on Toyota HiLux, Holden Colorado and Ford Ranger.

It is hard to rationally dispute these results.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X