• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

Ctek mode button - thanks YouTube!

I’m not sure if I have come across it on this forum, but I’m sure there’s a few of you out there who own Ctek battery chargers.

I do. The mode button on my one started playing up years ago. Initially when pressing the button it become “slow” to change modes. Eventually it just wouldn’t change modes when pressed. I wasn’t too fussed because it was stuck on the mode I used.

Anyway I decided to google the issue and see how common it was, and if it was an easy fix. Turns out yes, it’s common and a very easy fix. Thank you YouTube!

Posted this because it might come in handy if someone else has this problem with theirs.
    Other people completely pulled the switch itself apart, or soldered in wires and a switch to bypass. But the contact cleaner method worked a treat for me!

Undo a few screws, take the cover off, spray some contact cleaner around, work the switch a few times, put it back together. Simple.
    Last edited by Alex86; 15-05-20, 01:22 PM.
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
  • Oven
    • May 2020
    • Sidney

Thank you for sharing!

Comment

• paceman
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2018
      • Mackay

unfortunately, doesn't work with my MXS10...

when you open the case, there is a large metal ring around cables at one end that can't be removed...

which means i can't get access to the button properly...

thanks for sharing, anyways... i did hope this was a solution...
      Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• Alex86
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Here and there

Mines the MXS10 too.

I think I know the bit you mean. There is a way! Just needs a little persuasion

Mines hooked to a battery at the moment trying to breathe some life into it, but tomorrow I’ll open it up again so I can take some photos and give a few specifics.
        '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Comment

• sharkcaver
          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
          • May 2009
          • Perth

I went through this exact process about 2 weeks ago. Pretty easy fix once you know whats up. Thanks YouTube
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Alex86
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Here and there

I'll put the series of photographs into a few posts just to make things a little easier to follow.

Before doing this task take note of a couple of things first:

1) This WILL void any warranty you may have on the item.
            2) Make sure the unit is unplugged from the wall and disconnected from a battery.

First two photos
            1) the back of the unit, remove the screws (you'll probably have to pop out a red tamper disc to access one screw).
            2) remove the back cover, this is what you'll see
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Alex86; 16-05-20, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• Alex86
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Here and there

3) These two (one each end) cable bundle retainer thingos will have to be popped out of the plastic case. Pliers may make this job easier.

4 & 5) But in order to do the above, you'll notice this cylindrical bit (similar on the other end too) attached with a bit of white goo. You'll have to break the bond and separate those little black cylinder thingos from the items they are attached to.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Alex86; 16-05-20, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Alex86
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Here and there

6 & 7) The black cylinder thingos detached, and the cable retainer thingos popped out of the plastic case.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Alex86
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Here and there

8) Start lifting the circuit board out from this end.

9 & 10) Then lift it out from this end. It wont lift straight out, you'll have to work/rotate it around the temp-probe receptacle a little, until you can rotate the board over and see the little black circular disc- that's the mode switch.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Alex86
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Here and there

11) Spray little amounts of contact cleaner into this spot where the multimeter probe tip is pointing.

Work the switch a few times, spin the disc. Spray some more cleaner and repeat a few times.

Then put it all back together in the reverse order (you wont be able to re-attach the black cylinder thingos). You might have to get a little tricky with your fingers when lowering the back cover back on and hold the cable retainers in at the same time- they've got a slot in them where a couple of prongs from the back slide over holding them in.

Plug it in and test. Hopefully it works properly now and you can switch modes easily!
                    Attached Files

Comment

• sharkcaver
                      • May 2009
                      • Perth

That little black button pushes into the switch shaft. I popped mine off for better access to the switch internals. It did take quite a few sprays and working the switch to come good. then I just popped the button back on and worked out how to fit a square peg into a round hole IE getting the board back into its case. A bit of ginning around but in the end a recovered ctek.

I also tested mine without the circuit board in its case. Took me a few bites at the cherry for a result. I dont advocate this due to the danger of exposed high voltage. caveat emptor.

Thanks for posting this Alex, I never gave it a thought.
                      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Alex86
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Here and there

Ah I didn't try popping the button off. Maybe next time when it needs it, thanks for that suggestion!

Also yes, you can test before putting it all back to normal with the cover in place. I didn't mention it because as you say, might get electrocuted if you touch the wrong thing..... I would suggest put the board back in place and put the cover on before testing.
                        I really don't like working with mains type stuff.

Comment

• GHendo
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2012
                          • Northern NSW

Yeah, good post. I've been wondering about the button on mine as it usually take about 4 or 5 pushes now to get it to change - I should be able to fix it now.

Cheers
                          Geoff
                          03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                            • May 2009
                            • Perth

Originally posted by Alex86 View Post
                            Ah I didn't try popping the button off. Maybe next time when it needs it, thanks for that suggestion!

Also yes, you can test before putting it all back to normal with the cover in place. I didn't mention it because as you say, might get electrocuted if you touch the wrong thing..... I would suggest put the board back in place and put the cover on before testing.
                            I really don't like working with mains type stuff.
                            9 hours at work and the mrs screws the printer. So the next 2 hours till midnight I am pulling that apart to try and fix. left a cover off to test. grabbing the printer, I get a tingling in my left hand....yep shoulda put that cover back on. So good advice, pop it back in the cover so you dont inadvertently touch something that might produce a bit more than a tingle.....'

its now midnight and I can relax with a red and read the forum. gotta love mrs's......

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X