X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Powwows
    • Jul 2017
    • AU

I utilised all this valuable forum advice, and bought my manual NW Platinum MY12 for $16K in March with 125K. Had to have the RDL...but it is the Rockford that never gets rusty. I found that seller couldn't move the car, being manual; to my benefit. I love this car. Did the chain guide swap, and all fluids...
    There will be other manuals out there for good value, if it doesn't feel right. Good luck-

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Comment

• myth00n
      • Aug 2018
      • Melbourne

Finally bought the vehicle!

Hi All,

Soaking up the new car excitement!

Firstly, I would like to thank you all for helping me with your valuable suggestions, i dont think i could have made up my mind otherwise.

Bought the car on the 24th and went on a nice drive to Marysville and Lady Talbot Track.

I am truly amazed by the vehicle.

Originally posted by Powwows View Post
      I utilised all this valuable forum advice, and bought my manual NW Platinum MY12 for $16K in March with 125K. Had to have the RDL...but it is the Rockford that never gets rusty. I found that seller couldn't move the car, being manual; to my benefit. I love this car. Did the chain guide swap, and all fluids...
      There will be other manuals out there for good value, if it doesn't feel right. Good luck-
      Congrats on your pick, i hope you are having fun too!
      I think this was the manuall for me, and after 500 odd kilometers i must say it feels right.

Originally posted by Talisker View Post
      If you are happy with the vehicle go with it. As you an I know this is a DoD vehicle not mining etc etc. The only thing I could find on my 2014 Ex DOD GLX manual resembling a bash plate and it isnt one is the under engine plastic cover, none of the 3 other ex DoD vehicles had anything else either. If yours has a good interior and little to no rubbing of the door seals down to metal it is one of the better ones. As you know DoD doesnt service these and you do have one serviced by Mistubishi as we do for what thats worth but its got to be better than some unknown garage which I did find on some of the QLD ex DoD vehicles. Ours drives well yes the clutch will need doing at some point but no one can really predict when its good for now. The only downsides after 3 weeks with ours have been metal wear particles if rear diff T-case and gearbox and rear door is starting to squeak agin. Dont forget your valve adjustment make sure its been done otherwise that will set you back a bit.

All in all good value for money and you know it wasn't driven into the ground in fact its been driven ONLY by a trained driver so possibly better than a private car. I have spoken to folk in the army and they just can't get away with thrashing a vehicle if they are a driver they get in a bit of trouble. I reckon the mileage is a mistake in the book for the DoD to have adjusted the odometer is beyond their means or desires just no point. It probably either came from Albury or Puckapunyal, most of the DoD vehicles in Vic seem to have.
      Cheers
      Absolutely happy with the vehicle, appreciate your time and effort and thank you for the advise.

Originally posted by erad View Post
      From memory, the original tyres as delivered was not A/T tyres, but if the spare is unused, and is also an A/T, then maybe DoD ordered the Pajero with A/T tyres. Regarding the brake pads, they may be original or could be replacements. The reason I raised this issue was that if they were worn thing, it would possibly be genuine mileage - it all depends on where and how the vehicle has been driven. 68000 km in the city would wear pads a lot faster than what I do.

If the vehicle has been used for towing, so what? I think that it is nearly impossible to cook the engine (not so with an automatic transmission). Obviously, you can kill anything, but if it has been a towing vehicle, the clutch would be the weakest link. Be prepared to have to replace the clutch some time. When????

Red dust behind the seals is a good indication that the vehicle may have been in the Kimberley or Pilbara - it could have been a mining vehicle. If it was, they would probably have a mining specification as new. Sorry, cannot remember the differences, but they would have included cargo barriers, probably a bullbar and probably not a towbar.

Original bashplates are probably a good sign - unless someone has removed heavier ones to fit onto a newer Pajero. If the previous owners didn't fit heavier bashplates, they probably didn't intend going into too much rough stuff. A mining vehicle probably would have had heavier bashplates as standard.

All up, it seems as if this is a reasonably straight vehicle. Crash history is the main unknown now. If all clear, I would say Go for it.
      This is some very smart and logical advise, however, i am still not able to check the break pads, not very skilled with automobiles, but will make it a point to check this and update ASAP

The vehicle may have been used for towing based on the wear and tear of the tow-bar, but it doesnt really matter.

Original Bash Plates, with some off road scars, doesnt scare me though.

Got the car history report form equifax and came out clean except for the "odo roll-back" warning.

Now i would require some expert opinion about some quirks i noticed.

1. Sometimes i noticed during acceleration the steering is pulled towards the left and while breaking the steering is pulled towards the right, what kind of corrective measures should i take?
      2. There is water leaking as shown in the pcture, i was thinking this is the AC's doing.

As a preventive measure i thought i would get a Brakes, Steering And Suspension Check though pedders which costs about $28. Just to evealuate on what needs to be done.

Other doubts:
      3. Should i go the Authorized Mitusbushi Mechanic for all future service?
      4. I am planning to get it serviced in another month, what are the must do / check items? is the liquid change a good thing to undertake at 60,000KMs?
      5. Any shifting advise for diesel powered manual?

Cheers!
      Attached Files

Comment

• bennyb29
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2015
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by myth00n View Post
        Hi All,

Soaking up the new car excitement!

Firstly, I would like to thank you all for helping me with your valuable suggestions, i dont think i could have made up my mind otherwise.

Bought the car on the 24th and went on a nice drive to Marysville and Lady Talbot Track.

I am truly amazed by the vehicle.
        Congrats on the vehicle.
        Looks like someone has painted the front grille to body color. Wonder why they would do that! It's the same with the fog lamp dummy covers as well.

Originally posted by myth00n View Post
        Now i would require some expert opinion about some quirks i noticed.

1. Sometimes i noticed during acceleration the steering is pulled towards the left and while breaking the steering is pulled towards the right, what kind of corrective measures should i take?
        2. There is water leaking as shown in the pcture, i was thinking this is the AC's doing.

1.) Do get an alignment check on the vehicle, if not done already.

2.) The aircon units dripping vehucle after being used is a standard 'feature', present in all if not most cars.
        Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2016
          • Greater Sydney

1. Never, never, never go to Pedders

2. Absolutely no need to have it serviced by MM unless you have deep pockets. Some one here will be able to help you with a reliable Mitsubishi mechanic near you.

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post

2. Absolutely no need to have it serviced by MM unless you have deep pockets. Some one here will be able to help you with a reliable Mitsubishi mechanic near you.
            I broadly agree with these sentiments, but I would go to Pedders for the $28 safety check, knowing full well that it will contain a laundry list of items that aren't required. When they present their "shock & awe" conclusions, don't be shocked - simply say "thank you very much, I'll get back to you", and leave.

I would then take Pedders' list to a recommended non-MM mechanic, and ask them to review and advise what really needs to be done. Pedders' list is likely to contain items that your average mechanic wouldn't check, or might miss, so using it as the basis for a "focussed review" might work out well.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• myth00n
              • Aug 2018
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post

Noted, thank you!

Originally posted by bennyb29 View Post
              Congrats on the vehicle.
              Looks like someone has painted the front grille to body color. Wonder why they would do that! It's the same with the fog lamp dummy covers as well.

1.) Do get an alignment check on the vehicle, if not done already.

2.) The aircon units dripping vehucle after being used is a standard 'feature', present in all if not most cars.
              Now you got me thinking as well

Could you please suggest where i could get the allignment checked?
              A quick google search suggested TruTrack in North Melbourne and Brown’s Auto Repairs in Werebee.

Its a relief to know that dripping front/back aircon is a standard feature

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

The "water" dripping on the ground is normal - if it is coming from the air conditioner. However, one photo seems to show some 'water' dripping from the centre of the car at the rear. The rear aircon unit (if fitted) is behind the right rear wheel, and that is where I would expect the condensate to drip from. An easy way to check what is dripping is to dab your finger into the pool and taste it. If it is coolant, it tastes sweet and yucky. If it is condensate, it is clear, clean water and you can taste that. If it is oil, well you know by its feel before you taste it.

Your Pajero looks like it is a GLX, and I am not sure of they have a rear air conditioner in them as standard. You will know if you have a rear aircon button on the dashboard.

I don't think that the grille is standard in body colour. This may mean that it has had a prang, or it could be that the previous owner simply wanted to make his Pajero different from others. Same with the fog light blanking plates. Is this a 5 seater or a 7 seater vehicle? If you have the third row seats in the rear, check that the compliance plate says 7 seats.

Comment

• bennyb29
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2015
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by erad View Post
                  Your Pajero looks like it is a GLX, and I am not sure of they have a rear air conditioner in them as standard. You will know if you have a rear aircon button on the dashboard.

I don't think that the grille is standard in body colour. This may mean that it has had a prang, or it could be that the previous owner simply wanted to make his Pajero different from others. Same with the fog light blanking plates. Is this a 5 seater or a 7 seater vehicle? If you have the third row seats in the rear, check that the compliance plate says 7 seats.
                  This is what the OP mentioned prior to purchase of the vehicle:

I am in the process of buying a dealer used (originally used by Dept of defence) 54,867 driven Mitsubishi Pajero GLX LWB (4x4)NW MY14 Manual
                  The fact that it was used by the Dept of Defence means they wouldnt be bothered trying to make the vehicle look different from the others.
                  Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

• DID Dash
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Australia

Looks like a GLX or GLX5. Dealer probably sprayed the grille and bezels body coloured to tidy it up for sale. Sometimes they also change the steel wheels to alloy. Looks a nice rig. Seems quite a few DOD vehicles coming up on car sales Australia wide (Carsales) Probably a good buy, especially if you want a low milage manual Pajero. Happy cruising.
                    17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X