• May 2017
    • Kallaroo WA

Tyre sizes

What's the general consensus of changing tyres from 265/65/17 to 265/70/17
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

If you upsize your tyre diameter expect an increase in fuel economy and ATF temperatures especially if you tow.
    You get a slight benifet off road with larger diameter tyre's so it gets down to what is more important to you and what you are willing to trade off.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
      • May 2017
      • Freo ish

Some folks seem to forget to add the extra distance that a larger diameter tyre gives you compared to the oem diameter tyre.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

• Merts
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2011
        • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by Rnn_onmt View Post
        Some folks seem to forget to add the extra distance that a larger diameter tyre gives you compared to the oem diameter tyre.
        You are correct that you need to adjust your distance measurements when calculating fuel consumption, but larger diameter tyres will still definitely increase consumption even when you take it into account.
        Merts
        Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
        Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
          • May 2017
          • Freo ish

Originally posted by Merts View Post
          You are correct that you need to adjust your distance measurements when calculating fuel consumption, but larger diameter tyres will still definitely increase consumption even when you take it into account.
          Cool story bro

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

I cannot understand why a larger sized tyre increases fuel consumption. I have noted that using LT type tyres as compared to the original highway type construction, the fuel consumption has increased, but I put that down to having 3 ply sidewalls instead of 2 ply (or is it 1 ply?) construction in the highway tread tyres. I think the increase is about 0.4 L/100 km, but that is minor compared to the extra confidence I have when tackling some gnarly tracks.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Erad,

You have a manual transmission so these are less effected than the auto trans because the torque convertor unlocks more often. You also live in a country town so you will not have the stop/start commuting traffic. This could explain your slight increase in fuel consumption compared to others that drive autos and live in the city.

Agressive tread tyre's have more rolling resistance, light truck construction tyre's have more weight so it takes more fuel to get the increased rotating mass moving and to keep them moving, increasing the tyre's diameter affects the gearing so more power and torque is required to turn the wheel.

Up sizing tyre diameter cost you money in increased fuel consumption.
              Lifting the vehicle to increase ground clearance also increases fuel consumption at speeds over 90kph.
              My thoughts are what ever you do to make your 4wd more capable off road there will be a penalty to pay in increased fuel consumption and it is all accumulative.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• pb4x2
                • May 2015
                • Deception Bay Qld 4508

About a year ago I bought a set of used 16" PB Challenger alloys with tyres for my MN auto cab chassis ute as I wanted the same style wheel on both vehicles. When putting the wheels into the ute I noticed the tyres were 265/70/16 not 245/70/16 as on the Challenger but decided I would still buy them as it was a good deal. Both set of wheels/tyres had the same amount of tread remaining so decided to put PB 245s on the MN and the 265s on the PB and immediately found the Challenger to be more comfortable over speed bumps and the speedo to be spot on according to the GPS. On a trip soon after I found fuel consumption had gone from 8.6 litres per hundred to 9 but was happy to pay the extra for the comfort. I mentioned the distance travelled recorded on the trip meter to my stepson and he thought it was a bit short and I have to agree as there are less revolutions of the wheels over a given distance.To wrap this up we recently did a road trip after I had fitted an auto-mate and used 8.4 litre per hundred going north but on the return trip over the same distance used 9 L per hundred. I suspect this result may have a lot to do with my right foot and the extra response of a locked up torque convertor.
                2012 PB Challenger 4x2 auto

30mm Whiteline Front Sway Bar / SPV Delete / Catch can / Auto-mate / Lowered Front 35mm Rear 50mm / Side Steps Lowered 20mm / Rear Spoiler / Sony Double DIN xav-ax1000 / Rear Camera / All the Chrome bits

Comment

• Merts
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2011
                  • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by Rnn_onmt View Post
                  Cool story bro

I guess facts are cool, dude....
                  Merts
                  Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                  Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
                    • May 2017
                    • Freo ish

I guess facts are cool, dude....
                    Shhh

Comment

• motorazr
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Adelaide

If you have an android mobile download the app named “tyre expert”. The app gives you the differences between tyre sizes and the change in speed of the vehicle.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X