• Show
Clear All
  • awbeattie381
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Inner West, Sydney

Phone cradle & antenna?

Hi all,

Just wondering whether there is any advantage to running an aerial (say RFI) with your phone dock/holder? Do you really get better reception?

I am with Telstra for better remote area coverage and a couple of months ago I did the 'caves to caves' trip with my 4wd club (Sydney siders would know it). I had no reception all weekend (only had a single bar at Kanagra Walls). Would I have had more network with an aerial?

Currently weighing up my options for a phone holder/dock that charges and came across this as an option with an aerial hence my question!

Thanks in advance!

The main components of the system are the Bury System 9 Base Plate mounting device and the Bury System 9 Active Cradle device holder. The only way to avoid buying them, is to really know the product in detail and to be able to compare with genuine Bury.
    Andrew
    1989 NG Superwagon V6
    2017 Subaru Forester Diesel
    1974 Viscount Valiant Caravan
  • saffer
    • Jan 2011
    • Waikiki, WA

Hi, try telcoantennas
    I went for a smoothtalker cradle and external antenna. If you go on the Telstra website, they have maps that will show you the increased range you will get and where you will lose signal

Cheers
    2009 NT X SWB V6 - Opposite Lock bar, VRS winch,MM Tow Bar, Uniden UH7760NB, Lightforce Striker 50wHID, ARB awning, Rhino Racks, Bridgestone D697's, Billstein/Lovell, Skinned up + Rocksliders, Redarc TowPro, Safari snorkel, ARB on-board air, Powerflow exhaust

Towing: 2015 Jayco Eagle Outback

Comment

• Wicks747
      • Oct 2014
      • Alice Springs

Depends on your phone. If you are needing to use a passive connection it's not much use. I purchased a rfi 6.6 dbi bullbar mounted antenna and I strike iPhone 5 cradle and it does literally nothing for increasing range. It improved my ability to hold reception in fringe areas where signal was dropping in and out. I then purchased a cheap phone with a external antenna port to plug the aerial directly into the phone and was able to put this onto my main phone plan for an extra $30 per month. This phone will pick up reception around 30-40 km sooner while connected than the iPhone would.

Also with those burry cradles, a lot of them need a universal backing plate and the a front cradle to suit you phone. So make sure they product your looking at is the price for both peices.

Just followed your link you will most likely also need this http://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/181491314510
      Last edited by Wicks747; 21-12-15, 07:59 PM.
      Sold 2004 PA Challenger
      Current 2010 XLT Ford Ranger. TJM winch bar, ARB rear bar, Gme uhf, Goodyear Wranglers, dual battery, light force blitz 240s, hard korr lightbar, bushskinz bash plates. Helical torque lock lsd.

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

Also be aware Telstra test their phones & give them a "Blue tick (in a circle)" if they perform well in low signal areas. Those without a blue tick generally don't perform as well in distant areas. So firstly check you have a blue tick phone.

Next is to remember line of sight is very important when signals are weak, so put your phone higher up, eg, windscreen mount, rather than in your pocket or the console.

Stopping & getting out of the car will also improve weak reception, particularly if you stop on higher ground (although inconvenient, worthwhile if the call is important).

If still no good, then a proper external antennae would be needed, but as mentioned it needs to be properly connected & compatible.
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Wicks747
          • Oct 2014
          • Alice Springs

Judging buy your link you also have an iPhone so my opinion is that you will not get much benefit for your money. I have read you can loose around 5 dbi from the passive connection in the cradle.

Also a Spot mentions the blue tick. The iPhone 6 doesn't have it but the 6s does
          Sold 2004 PA Challenger
          Current 2010 XLT Ford Ranger. TJM winch bar, ARB rear bar, Gme uhf, Goodyear Wranglers, dual battery, light force blitz 240s, hard korr lightbar, bushskinz bash plates. Helical torque lock lsd.

Comment

• Tamworth
            • May 2014
            • Tamworth

Improvement in Phone reception with external aerial?

I have a Samsung S5 with an expensive Bury phone cradle, utilising a generic cradle and a RFI antenna mounted on the top of the roo bar (can't tell you gain, but approx. 1m high, one level below broomstick).

The reception you gain using a passive patch is very marginal. Years ago when I had the old Telstra ZTE (65?) country brick with a direct aerial connection, the advantage of having an aerial was significant, 10-20km.

If I didn't need a good cradle for legal hands free + charging and already have the roo bar, I wouldn't bother. For casual driving, the odd trip bush, no way would you bother.
            Very few phones today have a direct aerial connection.
            Also depends whether you are constantly driving in marginal reception areas like agronomists, yes they are worth it. But if you are way bush and only occasionally coming into reception areas, no I wouldn't bother.

Mark

Comment

• bakerboy
              "valued 3000+ member"
              • May 2008
              • Perth

I've used a cheap passive patch and rfi antenna on my old iphone4, it did improve it, I actually got signal out at a mates property where I previously didnt get it, and when you took it off the patch it dropped out, I can only imagine a better quality unit would work just as well if not better
              If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• Kingbrown
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2012
                • Port Augusta - SA

Apparently the S5 has an aerial socket inside the case that's used to check the device at time of manufacture. This could be accessed by drilling a hole in the rear cover, but then the phone's water resistance would be compromised.
                2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• gunsrunner
                  • May 2008
                  • Perth

Same here S5 with smoothtalker cradle and external 6.5db antenna.
                  I'd say its nearly good for 1 bar signal strength, tested with both the same phones on the dash over about 40000km's of travel.
                  I also have a charger connected to the aux battery and leave it in the car to stream music and work as a mobile hotspot for tablets and wife's phone.

Would love direct connect !!! but don't want to change phone.
                  MY14 VRX 3.2D Auto|OL Premium post bar | Runva 11XP | Bushskinz Int/Sump | Rhino platform 42102B | 2.5x2.1 Oztrail | HD Parkside Hitch | Grande 17x8 | 697 A/T 265/65R17LT | Flexitank 140L | Primus 92L DZone | Rhino Luggage bag | Maxtrax | 10.1" tablet | Redarc SBI12, BCDC1240LV, TowPro | Century N70T | Fullriver DC105-12 | 120w Light bar | 7"HID 100w | CAT3 ERP | ARB CKMA12 | Alpine MRVT1000, MRVF540 | MBQuart DSC216 x 2 | Alpine SWR-1221 x2 | Enough cable, switches to run a city

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X