Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 14-01-19

Default Experience with plasti-dip spray paint for wheels and nudge bar

I thought I'd share my experience so far with plasti-dip spray paint for my NW stock wheels and factory nudge bar. They've been sprayed for about 2 months now and no serious bush work yet but a lot of gravel roads and regular driving and so far no chips or flaking. I clean the paj at the local car wash and high pressure spraying and brushes don't seem to affect it.

Has anyone tried the plast-dip and how long has it lasted? I should say that for $37 it's the best money I've spent on the paj so far (3x cans of plasti-dip at $10 each plus a can of degreaser all from autobahn). I figured if the plasti-dip comes off or starts to peel I can remove it and respray or switch to paint.

Photos attached

paj_spray_3.jpg

paj_spray_4.jpg
Old 14-01-19

Looks good, well done.
Did you paint the wheel nuts or buy some black ones?
Old 14-01-19
Valued Member

I own a paint shop, so my experience with Plasti-Dip is limited to removing it.

Unless a proper adhesion agent is used, or the surface sanded to provide adhesion, its ability to stick to the substrate varies wildly. Unfortunately most DIYers neither know of nor use anything like this and, no, a can of degreaser does not qualify.

Over time it will discolour/fade and start flaking off, but not everywhere. Removing it completely can usually only be achieved mechanically, so the substrate nearly always has to be refinished.

I acknowledge that it's cheap and looks good initially (if you like that kind of look), but long term the stuff is a nightmare waiting to come to life. The last car that we fixed was a Mazda 3 that the young owner had done wheels, door handles, various trims and the spoiler in Plasti-Dip. Unfortunately his skills in masking off adjacent areas weren't especially good, so it was on adjoining panels as well as the bits that he tried to recolour. He went to trade it in and was offered $500 for a car that should have been worth $5000. It cost him $2000 for us to restore it to a saleable condition.

Frankly I hate the stuff and wouldn't have it anywhere near my car. Nor would I use it on a customer's vehicle. There are much better alternatives to recolour parts of your vehicle and they will, if done properly, at least not reduce its value. My opinion only, but use it at your own risk.
Old 14-01-19
Valued Member

Have used it on a few vehicles with brilliant success.

Mainly wheels and trim bits for the vehicles I have done, but also did a couple of Matt Black bonnets for mates that had installed light Bars on the roof and could't mount them back far enough to not shine on their bonnets.

The key is prepare the surface as best as possible (as you would for normal paint procedures) and for wheels - at LEAST 5 full generous coats if you are wanting to be able to remove it quickly and easily.

I did our Shorty's 18" rims and left it on there for about 2.5 years before I removed it as we sold the rims and the buyer didn't want them black. He was amazed how easily it came off (Did it in front of him after he paid a deposit for the rims) - I reckon if I had taken my time, I could have removed it almost in one full peice.
They peeled off easily because there was a good solid coating (4-5 very generous coats)

(pics in my Build thread in my sig.
Old 16-01-19
Valued Member

I've used bothersome plasti dip and custom wrap brands. I put 6 good coats (of custom wrap) on my rims and it was absolutely easy to peel off. It lasted over a year before it was noticeably chipped/scratched. And when i go off road it's either beach or gravel or scratchy Bush tracks. I did make the mistake of giving one rim only 3 coats and it was a nightmare to peel off, so dont skimp on the number of coats you put on.
I used that stuff twice and the last time I did them I used Plasti dip. I like the look of plasti dip more and it seems more durable than the custom wrap so far. Time will tell, it's only been on for 3 months but not a mark on them. A tip... i use the cheap tyre black spray can from supercheap (blue can). Spray it all over the rim and tyre and the black rims really look awesome then!

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.