Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 12-01-19

Default NP Pajero 2003, engine running rough after trying to install new radio

G´day,

my first post here so let me introduce myself. I´m Max, 29, from Germany and I recently bought a nice Pajero to travel Australia. The pre-owner replaced the headunit years ago, but it had no bluetooth, so i bought a new one online and tried to install it yesterday.

I never really worked with car electrics, so please be patient with me.

Took the old radio, unplug the big black plug with all the coloured wires and unplugged the antenna, tried to plug in the new radio and turn on the ignition, but no power. Radio not working even not when engine is running.
Problem 1: No radio working
Problem 2: Central door locking stopped working, wont lock or unlock with the remote nor the key, so i have to un/lock all doors manually.
Problem 3: The display in the speedo that shows which doors are open failed too
Problem 4: the engine is running rough since then, the rpm are going up and down, sometimes the engine is close to turn off by itself

These problems all appeared right after i tried to change the radio. The pre owner did some "poor" soldering with the cables, and there are some cables behind the radio i just dont know what they are there for.

Checked all fuses today, but they´re all good. Did i @*$#@*$#@*$#@*$# up the main engine controller?!

I´m afraid that this is a minor problem and i need to bring it to a mechanic.

Thanks in advance for helpful answers

Max
Old 12-01-19

Did you isolate the battery when you were working on the car?

If i were you i would remove the negative, check all fuses again, leave the battery disconnected overnight and put it back.
Old 12-01-19

Start with the easy things first - the problem occurred after you installed the new radio, so disconnect the new radio and see what if anything comes good. Unless you've gone for a radio of the same brand as the previous one, it's highly likely that the wiring to the radio is different which is why your new radio isn't working, and possibly the cause of some of your other issues too.
With the fuses note there are 2 places for fuses in the pajero, one via the small cutout near the drivers knee, the other in the engine bay. Check both, and if you have a multimeter check with that (set it to measure continuity and pin each side of the fuse to make sure it has continuity - sometimes a blown fuse is dead simple to see, other times it looks good but isn't.
Once you've got the rest running look at the radio - if you're lucky the previous owner has used an adapter from the factory wiring to his jumble of wires, if so beautiful - disconnect it, throw it out and buy an adapter from pajero to whatever your radio is - no need to mess around soldering wires, figuring out what goes where etc. Note you may not be able to buy direct pajero to your brand, but may be able to get pajero to ISO and ISO to your brand.
Old 12-01-19

The engine not running smooth can be because the battery was disconnected and the engine has to retune itself on the throttle body.
My petrol pajero did this a few times every time the battery was disconnected and it was normally an hours battle driving and nursing the engine to not die before it could tune itself.

Once i cleaned it out that problem was gone instantly.

You will have to look at cleaning the throttle body in the future. It just gets clogged up with junk and then the gaps on the butterfly becomes uneven making it difficult to find the correct air flow into engine.

As for the electronics i am not able to give input.

Hope you sort everything out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 14-01-19

Now i figured out that also the interior lights stopped working.... damn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzap View Post
Start with the easy things first - the problem occurred after you installed the new radio, so disconnect the new radio and see what if anything comes good.
The old radio wont work as well and unfortunately i dont have a multi meter to measure anything.
The pre-owner replaced the original Pajero Plug with the one that was delivered with his aftermarket radio, but ill check if i can find an adapter from Brand A to Brand B. I´ll take some pictures later to show what he did and also show you guys all the cables i couldnt figure out what they´re for.

Did you isolate the battery when you were working on the car?

to Rykiel: No, i haven´t disconnect the battery. Didn´t thought that it would be necessary if i just unplug a radio....

I´ll disconnect the battery tonight and see what happens tomorrow.

@JABO: what and where is the throttle body?

Thank you already for your answers
Old 14-01-19
Valued Member

xamxam:
Radios normally require 2 power sources - one 12V which is always there (to maintain the radio memory and settings) and the other 12 V which is switched on via the accessories switch in the ignition switch. By the sound of things, you have accidentally either shorted out one of the circuits, or else you may have blown a fusible link, which would supply multiple circuits.

I have a Max Elery W/S manual which gives wiring diagrams for various components, but I cannot say for sure which model it is referring to. However, it says that Fusible Link 2 supplies interior door lighting, audio, power seats, power mirrors, power windows, horn, cigarette lighter, clock, central locking,headlights reverse stop and tail lights, hazard lights, the A/C compressor - they are all supplied via Fusible Link No 2. So a first point to start checking is these items. If one or more of them are still working, you can probably discard Fusible Link 2 as the problem, but check the other circuits where things are not working and verify that the fuses are OK. Not just by looking at them either - check continuity with an Ohm meter. There are fuses in the box in the engine bay as well as in the box near the driver's feet.
Old 14-01-19
Valued Member

Once you get your other problems sorted out, AUTOBARN should be able to supply you with the ISO/s that you will need for your radio.
2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: SMART Winch Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel
Old 14-01-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticky View Post
Once you get your other problems sorted out, AUTOBARN should be able to supply you with the ISO/s that you will need for your radio.
No point when the factory plug has been hacked off.