• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Bumper scrapes

Wifey was kind enough to scrape the bumper on the Colorbond cream coloured fence this morning when reversing out the driveway.

I’m at work but 99% sure that’s all plastic. At least it won’t rust.

Best way to tackle this on the cheap? Really bad timing in terms of costs unfortunately.

Wet and dry sandpaper then couple light spray coats?

Can I get my colour paint code in a spray can? Supercheap auto or the like? I know I can get little pots but I don’t have a spray gun.

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Looked at Supercheap website, sorry should have done that first. A variety of whites with different names. Can’t remember the name of my Pajero white and different manufacturers probably use different names anyway. May be trial and error. Close enough will be good enough for now.

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
      • Aug 2012
      • Brisbane, Southside

Scrape Tragics

It’s an easy repair, Take your paint code from the ID plate in the engine compartment from memory, Supercheap or Autobarn will match it exactly.

Get a spray can of primer surfacer, a spray can of oil and wax remover, some 120 wet and dry and with a rubbing block blend the damage in. Mask around the damaged area and apply primer surfacer over the damaged area, overlapping a little. Lightly sand to blend in, remove tape, sand off any edge and apply some more primer if required. Apply colour coat overlapping the primer.

Lastly apply clear coat over the whole panel to a convenient cut off line. If this all sounds complicated then your best bet is get a scratch and bump guy.
      Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
      Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• geopaj
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Adelaide

Using a DIY spray can for a perfect colour match might be difficult - I’d personally be worried that you could make it more obvious.

If it was mine, I would start with a cut and polish to remove the transferred cream paint (from the fence). I suspect most of the white will still be intact below. I would then use a touch up brush to fill there the scratch has gone down to the black plastic.

Otherwise, I’d be getting a mobile paint repair guy - the repair would probably only cost approximately $150ish (it’s easy to get a quote)
        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• aussieintas
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2013
          • Sorell, Tasmania

Agree with geo, trying to get a good match very hard. I'd also go down the route of cut and polish to remove the cream colour first and see how it looks.

And yes it is plastic so no rust issues.

And defo use paint code not paint name if you do end up getting some paint.
          2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
          88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
          92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
          92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
          99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
          95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
          08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
            Valued Member
            • May 2017
            • Sydney

Thanks for all the feedback. Sent the photo to a mobile repair place with solid reviews. Quoted $390-440 to repair. No way that’s happening right now.

Going to hit the cut and polish and see where that leads me. I agree now seeing it in flesh I’m likely to find white under the cream. Could spot repair the places where the black is visible. That will do in the interim unless I can get a spray in the right paint code. Or beg, borrow, steal (or buy) a spray tool/adaptor.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
              Valued Member
              • May 2017
              • Sydney

Originally posted by Greg Grey Grumbly View Post
              It’s an easy repair, Take your paint code from the ID plate in the engine compartment from memory, Supercheap or Autobarn will match it exactly.

Get a spray can of primer surfacer, a spray can of oil and wax remover, some 120 wet and dry and with a rubbing block blend the damage in. Mask around the damaged area and apply primer surfacer over the damaged area, overlapping a little. Lightly sand to blend in, remove tape, sand off any edge and apply some more primer if required. Apply colour coat overlapping the primer.

Lastly apply clear coat over the whole panel to a convenient cut off line. If this all sounds complicated then your best bet is get a scratch and bump guy.

And thanks for these detailed instructions, may well use these

Comment

• geopaj
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
                Thanks for all the feedback. Sent the photo to a mobile repair place with solid reviews. Quoted $390-440 to repair. No way that’s happening right now.

Going to hit the cut and polish and see where that leads me. I agree now seeing it in flesh I’m likely to find white under the cream. Could spot repair the places where the black is visible. That will do in the interim unless I can get a spray in the right paint code. Or beg, borrow, steal (or buy) a spray tool/adaptor.

Wow, that’s expensive! I paid under $200 for a similar job in Adelaide.

You can buy a complete replacement bumper section pre factory painted for a less than $200!

(Just check it doesn’t have a reverse sensor cutout and a black bottom like the early NTs)
                Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2017
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
                  Wow, that’s expensive! I paid under $200 for a similar job in Adelaide.

You can buy a complete replacement bumper section pre factory painted for a less than $200!

(Just check it doesn’t have a reverse sensor cutout and a black bottom like the early NTs)

Yep, that’s the Sydney tax for ya!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X