• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mundy55
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2015
    • Gold Coast

Polaris head unit

I have been looking for a new head unit for my NX. I am not an audiophile but am interested more in off road mapping and being able to load maps myself rather being beholden to a proprietary supplier.

The Polaris Universal Luxx looks like a good compromise for what I want and its not too expensive. However, I am trying to find out if it will fit into the NX facia and if the OEM reversing camera and steering controls will work.

Does anyone have this unit and/or experience with its install and operation?
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post
    I have been looking for a new head unit for my NX. I am not an audiophile but am interested more in off road mapping and being able to load maps myself rather being beholden to a proprietary supplier.

The Polaris Universal Luxx looks like a good compromise for what I want and its not too expensive. However, I am trying to find out if it will fit into the NX facia and if the OEM reversing camera and steering controls will work.

Does anyone have this unit and/or experience with its install and operation?
    Looks to be a double-DIN size (based on here : https://polarisgps.com.au/product/universal-luxx/#tabs) so yes it would fit.
    For NW you need a new fascia but not sure about NX which already has a bigger stock radio than NW.
    Either way there would be no issues there.

Steering wheel controls look like they'd be no issue - seem to be programmable just like my Pioneer- they 'learn' the button presses and connection is only 2 wires.

Reversing camera can also be made to work although can be a bit of messing around. Easiest way for some is to install a new camera to replace the factory 12V one.

I kept the factory camera when putting in the Pioneer.
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Mundy55
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2015
      • Gold Coast

Thanks. I am on a bit of a learning curve here. I've seen a couple of adapters from Aeropro and Stringer which seem to facilitate the steering controls integration. The Stringer comes with some sort of control box which the Aeropro doesn't and I wonder about the difference. The Stringer seems to pre-program the the interface but is it really necessary if the Polaris has the learning function?

In my reading I come across vague statements about Canbus's and their implied complication for connectivity. Can someone explain what this mean, please? And, do we have a canbus in the Pajero?

Finally, does anyone have a photo of the rear of the OEM head unit and its conneciting loom? I'd like to understand the issue with the reversing camera better.

Thanks in anticipation.

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Thanks. I am on a bit of a learning curve here. I've seen a couple of adapters from Aeropro and Stringer which seem to facilitate the steering controls integration. The Stringer comes with some sort of control box which the Aeropro doesn't and I wonder about the difference. The Stringer seems to pre-program the the interface but is it really necessary if the Polaris has the learning function?

In my reading I come across vague statements about Canbus's and their implied complication for connectivity. Can someone explain what this mean, please? And, do we have a canbus in the Pajero?

Finally, does anyone have a photo of the rear of the OEM head unit and its conneciting loom? I'd like to understand the issue with the reversing camera better.

Thanks in anticipation.
        Yes, our Pajeros have CAN bus, but you don't need it for a replacement head unit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bu...ost%20computer.

A number of vendors tell you that a Pajero needs CAN bus for the steering wheel controls, but it simply doesn't. Likewise, I've seen some stating that the magic CAN bus box is required to activate the reverse camera, but I've never had it work - I've always found the relevant wire in the harness and hardwired it.

Also, Aerpro list at least two harnesses for Mitsubishi. I needed Aerpro APP0113 harness, not the APP0111. Pic of the wrong one (for me): https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/...RoCEcUQAvD_BwE
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Mundy55
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2015
          • Gold Coast

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
          Also, Aerpro list at least two harnesses for Mitsubishi. I needed Aerpro APP0113 harness, not the APP0111. Pic of the wrong one (for me): https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/...RoCEcUQAvD_BwE
          Thanks for the reply. Further investigation has indicated that whilst Polaris offer the APP0113 (and the APP0111) the Aeropro website indicates the best harness appears to be the CHMB2C, which has the steering control wiring already included, obviating the need to hard wire the harness.

However, it appears I need a patch lead and could need a secondary harness but I think I will have to ring someone as it isn't clear to me what lead and harness I might require.

Comment

• Keithyv
            Valued Member
            • May 2018
            • Perth

Thanks for the reply. Further investigation has indicated that whilst Polaris offer the APP0113 (and the APP0111) the Aeropro website indicates the best harness appears to be the CHMB2C, which has the steering control wiring already included, obviating the need to hard wire the harness.

However, it appears I need a patch lead and could need a secondary harness but I think I will have to ring someone as it isn't clear to me what lead and harness I might require.
            I just used (but mind you this is in an NW with stock stereo) an APP0113

This plugs into the factory plug that used to go to the stock stereo.
            This is a 20 pin socket (plug) but not all pins are populated.

At least in NW, this main 20 pin connector does all you need such as speakers (8 wires) constant power, ACC power, lighting wire, earth and the 2 steering wheel control (SWC) wires. There is also an output from the headunit that supplies 12V to the powered antenna when unit is on.

There was another 18pin connector to the stock unit that carried hands free inputs and aux inputs. None of these were needed for me. This 18pin maybe also carried some other info between the stock unit and the digital display (above the unit)

In a nutshell, I pre-wired the APP0113 to the new stereo (I cut the ISO plug/s off the APP0113 and wired it straight to the loom that came with the new stereo)

New mic for handsfree and separate wiring for rear camera, reverse trigger and handbrake trigger and install is complete.
            Wire colours in plug (at least for me) as below

30 Perm 12V (Red-Black)
            21 ACC 12V (Blue)
            29 Lighting in (Green – Black)
            39 Illum out? (Black – Yellow) NOT USED
            31 Vehicle Speed Sensor in? (White – Blue) NOT USED
            34 Antenna Amp (power) out? (Pink)
            22 SWC V+ (Red – White)
            32 SWC return (White – Black)

40 Earth (pin 40) – Black

Speaker Out:
            28 FL + (Red)
            38 FL – (Black – Blue)
            26 FR + (White – Red)
            36 FR – (Black – Red)
            27 LR + (Blue – White)
            37 LR – (Grey – Blue)
            25 RR + (Yellow – Red)
            35 RR – (Grey – Red)
            Attached Files
            2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
            MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Mundy55
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2015
              • Gold Coast

Thanks Keithyv and all. I think I'll get the unit and see what works and what doesn't. A quote estimate of $400 to install is too steep for my taste so I'll try it myself.

Comment

• Ian H
                Valued Member
                • May 2015
                • Melbourne

If you are only doing this for off road mapping, have you considered Ozi Explorer on an 8" Samsung tablet ? Free maps are easy to find online so the total cost would be around $300.
                2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Mundy55
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2015
                  • Gold Coast

I have a 10"screen mounted windows tablet on which I can run Oziexplorer or MMap. Great for readability and coverage but it is too big and loses gps lock from time to time. I have a Hema NX1 which is a 7" screen, and only ok size-wise but, for design reasons I can't fathom, they have made the screen vertically polarised which means if you use polarised sunglasses for driving, you can't read the screen. (It has other usage features which I find very poor and cannot recommend this machine to anyone).
                  Whilst I want something which does off road mapping, it would also be nice to just turn on the car and have the local maps come up without having to fiddle around with cables in the glove box and my phone. I also find the contrast using Google maps on the OEM screen to be very poor and hard to read.
                  I have considered an android tablet but an 8" screen, whilst good for readability, would be too small for me for other uses outside the car and would prefer not to have the window mounting.
                  As I read this back, I feel I am hard to please, but compromises and niggles are a personal thing.

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

I agree about the window mounting. My tablet just sits on the ledge above the head unit and fixed with velcro tape, never moves, even on corrugations. It means I'm covering the top screen showing fuel consumption etc but I hardly refer to that anyway. I can still see the outside temp and that's about all I need.
                    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Mundy55
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2015
                      • Gold Coast

I've just watched Denmonkeys recent videos on the Idoing 9" head unit. A very tempting unit given the 9" size, premounted on an new facia that just clips back in and, supposedly, all the plug and play harnesses.

Which leads me to the question, has anyone else installed this unit? If so:

* Is it really plug and play? That is, do the rear camera, steering controls and AM radio work straight off?
                      * Are there any operational problems, initial or ongoing?
                      * Are there any other annoying or inconvenient issues?

I am very tempted but don't want to act in haste and regret at leisure.

Comment

• Southern Son
                        • Feb 2010
                        • Rocky, Qld.

Mundy
                        I put on in my NT (2009). Yes, plug and play. I did not have to join, solder or anything any wires that were not in a plug that did not go directly into the old wiring for the Mitsubishi unit. I even used the old microphone from the original Parrot Bluetooth to save me having to run the wire and stick on the new microphone that came with the new unit.

Down sides, I cannot get the bloody radio app to work. I program the station I want, the radio lets me listen for 10 seconds, and then it starts scanning. It doesn't matter what radio station I tune in, I can hear it loud and clear for 10 seconds, then it starts scanning. If anyone know WTF I'm doing wrong, I'd love the help. I have tried to get another radio tuner app, but they are all internet based and not really AM/FM radios.

I have also not been able to work out what USB lead is for music, etc (there are 5 USB leads, one is recharging only, but the other 4 have me stuffed). In fairness though, I haven't really tried to work that out yet. I installed the unit a couple of weeks ago and between work and having to drive the missus to Brisbane for and operation, I have not had the time.

The up side. The Bluetooth is good. It saved my sanity on the trip to Brisbane. I put Spotify on my phone and used the AD2P app on the Idoing to listen to music from Spotify, I could also just load up my phone with music when I get around to it to do the same thing. Also gives me hands free for the phone. All that was REALLY easy to sort out.

I also managed to hook the Idoing unit up to my home wifi and used that to download my preferred navigation app (Tomtom). That works with the internal GPS unit and between the two kept me from ending up lost while driving around the big smoke.

I got the OBD2 unit and the Idoing comes preloaded with the TORQUE app, but I have done something to that. When I hooked it all up originally, it was working perfectly, then I was playing around with it and now the engine data is not being sent to the app and I cannot work out what I have to do to fix it (again, any tips from someone in the know would be appreciated). Like the 4 USB leads, I don't think this is a short coming of the Idoing unit.

Hope this helps.
                        When In Doubt, Use More Clout.

2009 NT Pajero GL DiD Manual, White, TJM Bullbar, IPF Driving Lights, Avanti Rims, Heavy Duty Side Steps, 3000Kg Tow Pack.

Comment

• Mundy55
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2015
                          • Gold Coast

Thanks, Southern Son. As I said, very tempting but, for me, on reflection, the upside of the bigger screen and easy physical install are not sufficient to outweigh the downside risks of the Idoing and the advantages of the Polaris. One of the main discouragements for me is I don't want to have to install a new reversing camera. I have since found Aerpro make a plug in harness that allows use of the OEM camera, which, together with the CHMB2C harness makes it completely plug and play. I have since also read others who've had operating issues with the Idoing unit that are hard to resolve and even Idoing themselves describe an ongoing fix you may have to do from time to time. I also like to support Australian companies if possible (even if the unit is manufactured in China!) and feel that warranty and after sales support should be easier to get if needed.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X